Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Orochi-art

Default Re: Another batch of questions about realistic damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
If you want, I can translate all of it.
Or if it is too much trouble I can use google translate.
Orochi-art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Not all that much. Even to the end of TL5, many armies were still using rifles of around .58 caliber. Right at the end, .45 caliber became common, and .30 caliber pretty much marks the beginning of TL6.
Hah, I see. I hadn't realized the .303 British only existed as a black powder cartridge as a stopgap for its smokeless incarnation, in imitation of similar-caliber smokeless propellant rifles already in service elsewhere.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi-art View Post
Or if it is too much trouble I can use google translate.
HAHAHAHA, no, it would be a disaster, latin vs anglo-saxon conjugation.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
JP42

My gut says that strength, multiplied by leverage and/or cross section makes a great deal of sense for these sorts of calculations. But I do wonder - are there any other game systems that use anything remotely like this to calculate damage? It seems like everything else is a weapon damage die (or dice) plus a bonus if appropriate for strength or size of the wielder.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
But I do wonder - are there any other game systems that use anything remotely like this to calculate damage? It seems like everything else is a weapon damage die (or dice) plus a bonus if appropriate for strength or size of the wielder.
I can't remember what Hero does off hand, but the dice-pool based systems tend to heavily weight the attribute, like GURPS. They just don't have a separate lookup table step - you just roll your Strength (or whatever) directly. How the weapon interacts with the roll depends on the system: adjust difficulty, give flat bonus successes, give extra "strength" dice...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I can't remember what Hero does off hand
Hero basically does 'strength dice + weapon dice', and strength dice are converted if the weapon has a different type. There are a number of game systems that are 'strength + weapon', actually; it also describes Shadowrun and Vampire.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
JP42

That's funny, I thought about Hero, but about weapons directly, rather than the Strength stat. Strength stat can add to weapon damage, all the way to doubling it, but if you have no weapon, it's just your strength that determines damage. So that's a bit of a hybrid.

I had totally forgotten about Shadowrun. That system is very much like GURPS, with static adds to STR.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
I had totally forgotten about Shadowrun. That system is very much like GURPS, with static adds to STR.
Except that in Shadowrun, all your damage is static, so it's just as accurate to say it's a static damage bonus for STR; the only randomness comes from margin of success (and soak rolls). Basically, in the GURPS paradigm you have dice for strength and static bonuses for weapons, in the D&D paradigm you have dice for weapons and static bonuses for strength, in Hero you have dice for both weapons and strength, in Shadowrun you have static bonuses for both weapons and strength.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
I'm not a PHD on Physics, but I play one on TV. Actually, I'll be an engineering in a couple of years, have a very good relationship with math and physics, and I've always been known as the Science/Math/Nerd/Smart guy.

I've made my own system for damage, kinda of based on douglas cole system.
The problem is that it's all on portuguese. But, the basic is:

NO MORE SW/THR DAMAGE
There's no Sw/Thr, every weapon instead has a multiplier, multiply it by ST/10 and done, it's your damage in dice, frex, a mace got damage *1.8, so someone with ST11 does 1.98d of damage, rounded to 2d.

Instead of cutting doing *1.5, impaling *2 etc... EVERY DAMAGE TYPE IS *1.
Ok, what about penetration? It is simple, remember pi damage? with those plus and minuses? Yeah, like that, except that it follow the size/range table, so, you could get "+++" for triple damage, and "-" is *0.7, not *0.5, for 0.5 you have "--". You could even have "++++++" for a *10 multiplier(If such a weapon exists), interestingly, this makes most AD useless.

Example:
A broadsword cut is very damaging, but it's penetrating ability is low, while with a thrust you have some hope, so, the stats for it are:
*1 cut ++
Or *1.5 imp(It is a thrusting broadsword, not the crushing silliness)
Someone with ST13 and a sword could do 1d+1 cut ++ damage, or 2d imp.

Now let's see what happens against 4 enemies, one with DR0, one with DR2, DR4 and DR6:
*Against someone of DR0, the cutting damage averages on 9, the impaling averages on 7, so, against someone with no armor, you should swing.

*Against someone of DR2, the cutting damage averages on 5, the impaling averages on 5, so, against someone with DR2, it evens out.

*Against someone of DR4 the thing changes, the average damage of a cut is 2, the average of impaling is 3.16, impaling seems like a better option.

*Against someone of DR6 cutting averages on 0.333, while imp averages on 1.555, impaling seems like the only option.

For the most common weapons, the damages are:
Broadsword: *1 Cut ++ or *1.5 Imp
Axe: *1.5 Cut +
Spear: *1.5 Imp
Spear(2 hands) *2 Imp
Bow: *1 Imp or *0.7 Imp++(For hunting arrows)
Most polearms: *2 Imp(for a thrust), or, for swings: *2 cut+, *2.5 cr, *3 imp. Exception: Naginatas/Bardiches are made for slicing, not hacking, their damage is *1.6 cut++

If you want, I can translate all of it.
Hand up, I'd like to see that if possible (I'd love to see the range in weapon damage multipliers). I like how you now have two steps that are both related to basic strength but that apply before and after armour
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
realistic strength