Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Ki Slash; or, ranged sword strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Honestly, Imbuements are what you want.
Unless, of course, you dislike the imbuements rules. Yes, they can do what you want, it's just clunky.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #22
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Unless, of course, you dislike the imbuements rules. Yes, they can do what you want, it's just clunky.
The magic rules are also clunky, but overall, I like those. It's a very collegiate system, with each spell being a logical topic that leads into other logical topics. Very scholarly; very "wizardly".

Meanwhile, Imbuements is basically a list of skills, and could stand to be more than that; which is why I like the idea of hacking it more than I like it, itself.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #23
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
The magic rules are also clunky, but overall, I like those. It's a very collegiate system, with each spell being a logical topic that leads into other logical topics. Very scholarly; very "wizardly".

Meanwhile, Imbuements is basically a list of skills, and could stand to be more than that; which is why I like the idea of hacking it more than I like it, itself.
They're really just tools for building your own system. Can mix and match spells from different colleges to create a new college as long as there is a clear central theme, a clear progression of requisites from simple spells to really powerful ones, and about 35 total spells in the college... but that's really only fair or balanced for a GM to be doing it.

You could also include imbuements into the magic colleges... or construct imbuement colleges with a handful of imbuements in each college and pre-requisite trees (potentially including some "combo" imbuements as some of the higher level ones!)

Personally I prefer to do the magic as powers route. And for that a ranged ki slash that functions like a broadsword at range is a ranged cutting attack. It probably has the melee: ST-based +100% modifier, even though it's ranged. And it's probably got reduced damage so it only does +1 (that's a broadswords damage right? I didn't look it up.) It's also probably got gadget limitations and a power modifier (for a Ki slash it would be the chi power modifier). If you wanted it to be "anything you could wield with a broadsword skill" then buy that but add additional damage based on what the highest damage modifier is with a modifier to make it variable by your equipment, and then copy that as a crushing attack and throw an alternate ability modifier on it (or not if you want to duel wield a stick and a sword). Also, the whole thing is based on the broadsword skill.

Broadsword DX/A (Ranged, +40%) is going to end up being overly expensive for what you're doing with it once you've put more then a few points into it. The advantages I described above is probably only a handful of points. 5-10. If you ever want to spend more then 12 points in the skill that modifier is going to start hurting you. Plus, it's kinda clunky. You can certainly apply modifiers to skills but they weren't really designed for it, I'd recommend not for the most part.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #24
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
They did get expanded by quite a bit. You have defensive imbuements, movement imbuements, and crafting imbuements. They also have a DF class that uses imbuements (Mystic Knight) as well as power ups for said class that also includes more imbuement skills.

I use them when ever I can. For my martial arts game that I am still working on, imbuements are a core concept. Being able to imbue your attacks with your chi to create different effects is a staple of that genre. I also like it because it separates ST from the effects, so the more powerful the player is - higher ST - the more damage they can do.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #25
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
They did get expanded by quite a bit. You have defensive imbuements, movement imbuements, and crafting imbuements. They also have a DF class that uses imbuements (Mystic Knight) as well as power ups for said class that also includes more imbuement skills.
Which supplements include all those expansions? I think I only have the base one.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #26
Anders

Unfortunately, there's not a single supplement. It's spread out over a number of Pyramid articles.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #27
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Which supplements include all those expansions? I think I only have the base one.
pyramid:
3/04 defense imbuements
3/13 Mystic Knight template
3/36 imbuement power-ups
3/60 Mystic knight power-ups
3/71 vehicle imbuements
3/102 Crafting imbuements
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #28
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I designed an alternative to imbuements that takes some ideas from Godlike Extra Effort to replace the imbuement skills with Techniques of the original ability. That does require 1 FP per use, but I felt it wouldn't be terrible to allow for avoiding this by taking twice the penalty. For using a sword to generate a ki slash, you'd use the Ranged version of Distant Strike; if using 0 FP, this would default to Broadsword -20 (so you'll want to buy it up to some degree), giving the character a Blockable Acc 3 ranged attack with Range (1/2D and Max) equal to ST and damage the same as the weapon's normal attack.
I missed the original post. Having gone back and read it, I really like many of the ideas in it.

In the above example that would let you use your regular Broadsword skill at a range for 11 points and without a fatigue cost for 21 points. My only concern is how much more effective this is than Project Blow.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #29
Anders

Quote:
pyramid:
3/04 defense imbuements
3/13 Mystic Knight template
3/36 imbuement power-ups
3/60 Mystic knight power-ups
3/71 vehicle imbuements
3/102 Crafting imbuements
*takes notes for the Kickstarter Backerkit*
Old 07-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #30
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I missed the original post. Having gone back and read it, I really like many of the ideas in it.

In the above example that would let you use your regular Broadsword skill at a range for 11 points and without a fatigue cost for 21 points. My only concern is how much more effective this is than Project Blow.
I think I missed most of that one. It looks like a good place for Trained by a Master/Weapon master; to either halve the default penalty, or allow the use in the first place.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote