Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Ki Slash; or, ranged sword strikes

Let's say I want a skill that allows the character to do damage with a sword (broadswords, in this case) as if they were a ranged weapon. While it's not quite rules as intended, would adding Ranged to the Broadswords skill be balanced?

For example, comparing these skills sets for a DX 14 character:

1) Broadsword-22 [28].
2) Broadsword-20 (Ranged (Selectivity)) [30].
3a) Broadsword-19 [16].
3b) Broadsword-17 (Ranged) [12].

Which set would you benchmark as the most reasonable? Assume a low-superheroic cinematic style of game where martial arts can fire energy blasts with sufficient training.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Ki Slash; or, ranged sword strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Let's say I want a skill that allows the character to do damage with a sword (broadswords, in this case) as if they were a ranged weapon. While it's not quite rules as intended, would adding Ranged to the Broadswords skill be balanced?

For example, comparing these skills sets for a DX 14 character:

1) Broadsword-22 [28].
2) Broadsword-20 (Ranged (Selectivity)) [30].
3a) Broadsword-19 [16].
3b) Broadsword-17 (Ranged) [12].

Which set would you benchmark as the most reasonable? Assume a low-superheroic cinematic style of game where martial arts can fire energy blasts with sufficient training.
There's an Imbuement that allows this explicitly. You might look to Power-Ups 1 for inspiration.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Ejidoth

In general, your options for this are:

1) Build a ranged-sword-slash Innate Attack, and add a perk that lets you use Broadsword instead of a ranged attack skill with that attack. This is the easiest method to do with the core books.

2) Get the Imbue advantage from GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements and use the Project Blow/Broadsword skill. Note that this is a separate skill that you roll to successfully project the blow: you still have to roll Broadsword to hit afterwards.

3) Use the Weapon Buff option in GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery (based on the previously mentioned Imbuements, the rules in "From Skills to advantages" in Pyramid #3/34, and some enhancements to skip the FP cost or need for rolls) to give the character the ability to project blows with a broadsword as an advantage.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post

1) Build a ranged-sword-slash Innate Attack, and add a perk that lets you use Broadsword instead of a ranged attack skill with that attack. This is the easiest method to do with the core books.
According to Kromm, you don't even need the perk, just GM permission as long as it stays DX-based (Based On is still required if, say, you want to use Intimidation without bringing Intimidation to DX). IA is balanced around use of an Easy skill, so moving it to another skill is fine, especially since this normally means moving it to a more difficult one (such as Broadsword being Average). The most common use I've seen is moving it to Guns which changes nothing.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
As a technical note there's a 4) also as there's a Spell (w/Enchantment) in Magic that does this.

For the other possibilities I'd only allow the Ranged skill thing for a new Cinematic Skill usable with Weapon Master or TBAM.

My preferred build would be as an Innate Attack. Especially if you want to go full Anime and have it do Area Effect.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
zoncxs

Honestly, Imbuements are what you want. If you are the GM then you can simply handwave the Imbue advantage and allow the player to take Project Blow (Sword) skill. Let them also buy off the penalty for repeat usage as hard technique and you are done.

If you do not want them to have to roll for it then instead take it as an advantage.

Buy up the skill so the roll is equal to DX, for very hard skills this is 8pts.

This new advantage then takes (Cosmic, No die roll required,+100%, PM, ‑10%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1,+20%; Visible, -10%) making the cost 16pts.

The thing about that way is that you can't take the technique, and instead you have to buy up to cancel the penalty for repeat usage, to be able to use it every turn as many times as you like would cost an extra 80pts.

Project Blow
Cost: 16/24/32/40/48/56/64/72/80/88/96

You can project your strikes, you must specify what the attack is at the time you purchase this ability. You can project the attack as if it was a ranged attack once every 10 turns. Each level reduces how many turns you have to wait before you can use it again, with max level (11) allowing you to use it as many times as you want every turn.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Honestly, Imbuements are what you want. If you are the GM then you can simply handwave the Imbue advantage and allow the player to take Project Blow (Sword) skill. Let them also buy off the penalty for repeat usage as hard technique and you are done.

If you do not want them to have to roll for it then instead take it as an advantage.

Buy up the skill so the roll is equal to DX, for very hard skills this is 8pts.

This new advantage then takes (Cosmic, No die roll required,+100%, PM, ‑10%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1,+20%; Visible, -10%) making the cost 16pts.

The thing about that way is that you can't take the technique, and instead you have to buy up to cancel the penalty for repeat usage, to be able to use it every turn as many times as you like would cost an extra 80pts.

Project Blow
Cost: 16/24/32/40/48/56/64/72/80/88/96

You can project your strikes, you must specify what the attack is at the time you purchase this ability. You can project the attack as if it was a ranged attack once every 10 turns. Each level reduces how many turns you have to wait before you can use it again, with max level (11) allowing you to use it as many times as you want every turn.
I like your answer. Honestly. You managed to break the technicalities of what I was asking, while giving multiple answers in the spirit of what I wanted.

I'm not sure about that cost progression, but numbers are much easier to adjust than rules.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Honestly, Imbuements are what you want.
Unless, of course, you dislike the imbuements rules. Yes, they can do what you want, it's just clunky.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
There's an Imbuement that allows this explicitly. You might look to Power-Ups 1 for inspiration.
I own it, but overall, I just don't find it particularly exciting. I can't point at anything specific, only that I bought it, skimmed it, and forgot I even had it.

Edit: I already noted "it's not quite rules as intended", but let me clarify: This is custom. I'm asking a balance question on a custom rules idea.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

I would design it as an alternative attack, a jet attack, for a melee attack. For example, let us say that you have Cutting Attack 10d (Accessibility, Requires Broadsword Weapon, -20%; Melee, 1-2, Dual Attack, -10%; Variable, +5%) [53]. You could have Cutting Attack 4d (Alternative Attack; Broadsword; Accessibility, Requires Broadsword Weapon, -20%; Increased 1/2D Range, 2x, +5%; Increase Range, 10x, +90%; Jet, +0%; Variable, +5%) [11]. Since Jet is already treated as a melee attack, you do not need any extra perks.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote