Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #941
MorituriMax

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Every time I have tried printing the HTML to a PDF it just gives me the 1st page. That's when I figure out how to even paste the HTML in the browser.

Last edited by MorituriMax; 04-27-2020 at 12:48 PM.
MorituriMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #942
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorituriMax View Post
Every time I have tried printing the HTML to a PDF it just gives me the 1st page. That's when I figure out how to even paste the HTML in the browser.
Print the main Design Table in the Spreadsheet. The Print area on the Design Table page is set to remove all the extra check boxes and provides a clean printout. You can also print the Save Sheets to print the stat tables for a collection of ships.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #943
MorituriMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Print the main Design Table in the Spreadsheet. The Print area on the Design Table page is set to remove all the extra check boxes and provides a clean printout. You can also print the Save Sheets to print the stat tables for a collection of ships.
Well color me Zhodani! Amazing, did I miss mention of that in all the "stereo instructions" I skipped reading? 8 )
MorituriMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #944
Adina

Is there a way to label the different habitat modules? e.g. Captains cabin, 1st class dining room, Marine gym, etc.?
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #945
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Is there a way to label the different habitat modules? e.g. Captains cabin, 1st class dining room, Marine gym, etc.?

I have got a design with 200,000 habitats - I am going to be making a spread sheet so that I can track guest accommodations, points of interest, establishments, crew quarters, embassies, secret research facilities, lairs of criminal masterminds, and where Senior Spacer Jones keeps the hooch.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:03 PM   #946
DaltonS

I started a mapping project about a space station patterned after the one seen in "2001: A Space Odyssey". It's a classic space wheel design with a hub, four spokes and a habitat ring. I have the dimensions and can work out the total volume easily enough but I have no idea how to translate this into a GURPS Spaceships design. To give you an idea about the size, the total deck area of the habitat ring is about 155 acres (13 decks that average about a mile long) and would take 156 pages to map. How do I convert this into an SM and systems?
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #947
Rupert

Well, if they were made up of Open Spaces, and were most of (15+ systems) the station, that would make the station SM+15. That's probably not the best way of looking at it though.

How many people can it support and at what level of comfort and with what amenities would be better, but requires much more detail.

Taking the physical size and working out the SM from that is another, though habitats tend to be fairly low density so that'll give a useful number for working out how hard the station is to see and shoot, it won't be so useful for working out how massy the other systems need to be.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:39 AM   #948
Daigoro

Calculate the SM as a cylinder with length of your wheel's circumference, then curve it round and join the ends together. Would that do what you need?

Or, slightly more sophisticated, treat the hub, spokes and wheel as separate spaceships of relative sizes, then add them together. If you need to know propulsion or something, use an oversize system.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:17 AM   #949
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
the total deck area of the habitat ring is about 155 acres (13 decks that average about a mile long) and would take 156 pages to map. How do I convert this into an SM and systems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Well, if they were made up of Open Spaces, and were most of (15+ systems) the station, that would make the station SM+15. That's probably not the best way of looking at it though.
A total circumference of 1 mile means it has a diameter of about 1/3 of a mile, which corresponds to SM+15. But, as you say, that's not necessarily the best way of looking at it. Spaceships is largely a mass-based design system, and I'm not sure of any way of getting a reasonable mass for such a structure.

Honestly, I'd probably start out with SM+15 and start working backwards. Fill in the systems and Habitats you intend the station you have, and if you run out of room up it to SM+16 and keep filling in the Habitats.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:36 AM   #950
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
A total circumference of 1 mile means it has a diameter of about 1/3 of a mile, which corresponds to SM+15. But, as you say, that's not necessarily the best way of looking at it. Spaceships is largely a mass-based design system, and I'm not sure of any way of getting a reasonable mass for such a structure.
Are there any rules about converting system masses into deck plan areas or volumes? I may be able to reverse that then work out the armor mass from the surface area and thickness. There will be no high energy systems so power wouldn't be an issue and propulsion would be limited to station keeping (ha!) and spin control. The docking bay in the hub is constantly open to space on both ends so support vessels can enter one side (matching the station's spin like they did in the movie, Blue Danube Waltz optional), transfer passengers (by docking tube) and cargo (by module) and move out the other side as quickly as possible. I won't call it a hangar bay since they don't hangar round. 8D The tricky system will be the "ballast tanks" used to keep mass in the wheel evenly distributed so it doesn't wobble. (It might not fall down but it could break up.)
Dalton “Don't stop the wheel, I don't want to get off!” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet