Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: closest Space/Ultratech equiv to the giant power armors used by Marines in Starcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Would work if it was physical attacks but there's energy stuff like w/ Firebats flamethrowers which don't suffer Blunt Trauma.
Given limitation value, and frankly reality for most such things, I wouldn't mind changing 'blunt trauma' to 'nonpenetrating trauma' and applying it to additional damage types. Or just giving all wide area burning attacks some additional ability to penetrate armor.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #42
Plane

Default Re: closest Space/Ultratech equiv to the giant power armors used by Marines in Starcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
giving all wide area burning attacks some additional ability to penetrate armor.
There is the "your metal armor heats up" aspect but I don't know how we adapt that into trait terms...

It's almost like to emulate realism you couldn't use Innate Attack alone, you'd need to do other stuff like "Control Heat" and "Obscure" to reflect how a flamethrower would increase temperature in addition to burning, or how the continuous stream would obstruct vision.

To qualify for Obscure I think an attack would need to blot out an entire hex though...

Unless maybe you could take "Bombardment" limitation to reflect how it's not a complete hex blackout but just partial obscuration. That sounds pretty spot on TBH, you're just rolling to see if someone suffers penalties rather than if they suffer damage.

Would be further neat if we could somehow tie output (damace dice, levels of obscure) to the margin rolled on Bombardment
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #43
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Given limitation value, and frankly reality for most such things, I wouldn't mind changing 'blunt trauma' to 'nonpenetrating trauma' and applying it to additional damage types. Or just giving all wide area burning attacks some additional ability to penetrate armor.
Why would you want that? Armor blocking flames and the like works very well as far as I know...

When wide area burning-like effects defeat armor well, it's usually because the armor isn't sealed and thus lets hot gasses or burning liquid fuel get inside.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #44
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Yes, All-Or-Nothing means it either completely stops the attack or fails completely. Stacking it on ablative would be quite weird, I'm not sure what behavior that would be representative of.
The armor would function like ablative normally, but if damage exceeded it, it would both ablate away and completely fail to protect the target. Which would be pretty nasty. The closest analogue I can think of is the shielding in the Strike Suit Zero computer game, at least when it comes to physical attacks - the shield completely fails to protect you against collisions, and also drops if you bump into anything (it also functions poorly against guns, although fortunately the enemies seem to exclusively use energy weapons against you).
Old 12-15-2020, 07:31 PM   #45
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
"Ablates or Else" is definitely either/or...

On more thought though I think the other condition might be "Bane:Cutting" rather than "Limited:Cutting".

Basically to avoid Cutting ignoreing the DR (which Bane causes) you switch to ablate.

If it was either/or Ablative/Limited:Cutting then I think it would be that cutting alone stops it without ablating while all other attacks were stopped w/ Ablate.
The Limited (Cutting) is a limitation on Ablative, not a limitation on the DR, reducing Ablative from a -80% to a -48% limitation. I take it my nested limitations caused confusion and should have been more explicit.

Tags
space, starcraft, ultratech, warcraft, warhammer