Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #31
platimus

Default Re: Cidri Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Now there's an interesting twist!
After seeing Matrix Reloaded, I always hoped they would make a series of Matrix prequels set in a previous incarnation of the Matrix. The incarnation that the vampire, werewolf, and ghost twins were left-over from. A fantasy/gothic-horror Matrix where the "chosen one" fantasy-hero was also a previous incarnation of Neo. Some people would die and wake up in what they called "The Underworld" but it was really the real world. Then the sentinels would grab them, re-introduce them to the Matrix and they'd recount their experiences in "The Underwold". Those would grow into more mythical tall-tales.

The series would culminate with Neo and his followers seemingly vanquishing all the evil in the land but it would trigger massive wake-ups and, after realizing the true nature of the real-world, Neo would negotiate with the AI to build a new Matrix to put everyone back in.

Of course, the ultimate, origin-story, prequel of The Matrix is The Terminator. John Connor and his merry band of rebels set off the nukes that caused the machines to use humans as batteries, which necessitated the creation of The Matrix.

Last edited by platimus; 11-16-2018 at 03:26 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #32
platimus

Quote:
And 'wishes' are cheat codes.
More or less. Or the cantankerous old program agrees to manipulate the system on your behalf.

Demon...daemon...

Last edited by platimus; 11-16-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #33
TippetsTX

Hmmm... CIDRI (Computer Intelligence Driven Reality Integration).
Old 11-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #34
platimus

Of course, the Mnorens might have several different Matrix-like simulations running. There are rare, weird tales of people waking up in a world full of ships that travel among the stars and shoot bolts of light. Others about worlds less strange and magical were "cowboys" wield gunpowder weapons. The teller's of these tales say they finally re-awoke in Cidri at the end of their adventures in these other worlds. Why "the gods" gave them such strange visions and what they mean, they'll never know.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #35
platimus

Quote:
Hmmm... CIDRI (Computer Intelligence Driven Reality Integration).
Yes! Or Cyberdyne Intelligence Division Research Initiative! Or the C might be a corruption of SIDRI...Simulated Intelligence Division Research Initiative.

Though I feel like one of those I's should stand for Illuminati.

Last edited by platimus; 11-16-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #36
amenditman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Would this make the demons grumpy sys admins?
Exactly!

That makes me a demon, yay!
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #37
TippetsTX

So my daughter and I were discussing world-building (she's pretty awesome) which made me want to resurrect this thread to get some additional input from all you amateur astrophysicists, planetary engineers and environmental architects.

I have continued to develop my concept of Cidri as a prison (see my original post) and I need to think through the possible ramifications of encasing Cidri's solar system in a finite pocket dimension as the third and final barrier against the anti-life threat. This means no stars in the night sky (though there are two moons and potentially other planetary bodies in orbit around the sun) which would certainly make long-distance navigation challenging. What other impacts should I be considering, however?
Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #38
Skarg

Well in our solar system there are many small bodies out way beyond Pluto, orbiting the sun. Their density is very small, but if you somehow (. . .) encased the entire system in something, many of them would eventually hit it. Worse would be any extra-solar objects and/or radiation coming in at extra-solar relative velocities... normally they almost never hit anything, but if you somehow (. . .) encased the entire system in something, they would... with a very high velocity, squared to get force...

Then there's the mass of such a thing, and how you plan on building it and keeping it in place, and/or collecting the material for it in the first place. All of those things tend to be utterly impractical even for planet-scale constructions. Also solar systems are really really really enormous - the idea of encasing one in something physical ... runs into the same problems I already have believing in planet-scale constructions, only multiplied by a number so large it's hard to comprehend, and then cubing that to account for volume... Nope to the nope power, cubed.

And one of the main problems I have with all of that, is that even if I imagine some people that can overcome all of those obstacles... then it seems to me such people would tend to have had other interests, and so be able to do just about anything, and probably would do just about anything other than that, but if they did, would also have done unimaginable numbers of other more interesting unimaginable things.

And so, if I'm thinking of a system of worlds encased in a shell from some cosmic outside threat... I'm not going to try to rationalize it in terms of real-universe engineering at all. Instead I'm going to think of alternate cosmology and metaphysics, other "planes" or holographic universes generated by consciousness etc., and/or metaphorical mythology, not real-universe science.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #39
amenditman

I love that Skarg, "Nope, to the power of Nope, Cubed"

Caps added by me for emphasis
Old 05-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #40
amenditman

If you are going to construct a Dyson Sphere for your world, don't try to justify it with logic, just do it and accept it.