Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Sindri

Default Re: Balancing High Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I came up with (but am still working on) a system for making Mass into a Trait rather than Feature, and adapting that to handle SM might be a good idea. Ideally, once I've got that one worked out, it and SM should be combined. I should note the ST discount isn't factored in below - ST discount was some sort of hack to try and make high SM worthwhile as far as I can tell and should be tossed to the side like so much rubbish.
I don't like it either. I've tried to persuade myself that it represents the limitation greater size puts upon the ability to exercise the strength somewhat like no fine manipulators (you can't lift something if your hand can't reach it after all) but it doesn't feel right. HP has no business being limited, the limitation should apply to other abilities if it should apply to ST and it seems like the direct disadvantages of being large are vaguely balanced with the direct disadvantages of being small.

I could quibble with parts of the rest of your analysis (I think I might put increased dose required for poison at 1 point for example) but it seems broadly reasonable. Thanks.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
Tomsdad

While I agree that SM has issues in general there are a couple of other benefits that SM+1 gives, that haven't been mentioned yet

C attacks can now be done at reach 1

and

You get benefits to grappling due to your size (but can't remember off the top of my head how that has translated into Technical Grappling).
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
While I agree that SM has issues in general there are a couple of other benefits that SM+1 gives, that haven't been mentioned yet

Which is worse than any other positive SM's reach bonus. Which is a shame when SM+1 is surely the most common >0 SM for PCs.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:

and

You get benefits to grappling due to your size (but can't remember off the top of my head how that has translated into Technical Grappling).
+1 to effective skill and 15% bonus to Trained ST for each relative +1 difference in SM. The real big bonuses come from being heavier.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Which is worse than any other positive SM's reach bonus. Which is a shame when SM+1 is surely the most common >0 SM for PCs.
Oh that's certainly true, it's just there is advantage there over SM 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
+1 to effective skill and 15% bonus to Trained ST for each relative +1 difference in SM. The real big bonuses come from being heavier.
Aha cheers, not too shabby, and of course you can now grapple at reach 1. At least that's how I interpret the C increasing to 1 on the size mods on pg 402, i.e it's on attacks with reach 'C' not just weapons with reach 'C'.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-06-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
Varyon

Quote:
I tossed this in with the [+5] for "Reach, Evasion, Trampling, etc," based on the fact you can get the same benefits in a switchable form with Stretching for [6].

Quote:
I tossed these in with the [+10] of the "easy to see/hit" modifiers. Now, the +15% Trained ST from Technical Grappling may be more of a factor than I'm probably giving it credit for. Arguably, that's worth something like [2] (racial +4.5 to skill for [9], only for determining Trained ST at -80%), which is probably small enough we could disregard it if so inclined (that [+10] has a good deal of wiggle room, honestly).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
Tomsdad

Ultimately what you going to do with your SM+1 character is what really makes this an advantage or not.

What's a distinct disadvantage in a paratrooper d-day campaign, is probably going to be a clear advantage in a Sword and sorcery epic with lots of grappling with grey apes

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-06-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
PTTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
I am absolutely prepared to agree that high SM is a good choice for biters but I do play the occasional character who isn't trying to rip other peoples' arms of with their teeth.

: )
What kind of game are you trying to play? Don't you know this system is called Gnawing Usually Results in Perfect Success?
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
What's a distinct disadvantage in a paratrooper d-day campaign, is probably going to be a clear advantage in a Sword and sorcery epic with lots of grappling with grey apes
Except the sword and sorcery character gets the worst disadvantage: double clothing and armor weight.

I agree that the value of the disadvantage varies wildly between games. In a horror game set in the 1920s, it's little more than flavor ("The detective you're looking for is the tallest man I ever seen!"). But in a low-tech game where characters are constantly in combat and need to wear armor? It's a huge disadvantage. I've been offering SM+1 as a -20 disad in my fantasy game and still no one has taken it.

And I hate trying to balance through workarounds like adjusting the price of ST. Not all large characters are going to have a high ST. Is the weak giant disadvantaged less than the strong one? I don't think so.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
What kind of game are you trying to play? Don't you know this system is called Gnawing Usually Results in Perfect Success?
Clearly I've failed us all tremendously. I apologize to my GMs, to my players, to the GURPS authors and to the Steve Jackson forums. I'm not sure if I can make up for this profound shame, but I do resolve to make my best effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Except the sword and sorcery character gets the worst disadvantage: double clothing and armor weight.
Though the paratrooper still has a bad deal here. With larger numbers of more damaging attacks being easier to hit isn't fun.

Tags
balance, brainstorm, house rules, size modifier, strength