Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: [LT] Protective Clothing, Part 1 - Better than Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
So this is chain errata?
I can't comment on Low-Tech, but from the perspective of High-Tech, the leather long coat stats should match those of the leather jacket in Basic Set. That's DR1*.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
So this is chain errata?
Or chain mail errata!

I crack myself up...

Seriously though, I find it hard to believe that protective clothing could be DR1 while armor is only DR1*. It seems to me that military equipment is probably engineered for greater protection than civilian gear.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
Or chain mail errata!

I crack myself up...

Seriously though, I find it hard to believe that protective clothing could be DR1 while armor is only DR1*. It seems to me that military equipment is probably engineered for greater protection than civilian gear.
Well, only the worst armor is DR1*, this armor will probably be used only by archers, slingers and the like, who don't have money to buy a better armor, and need the mobility, so, they can't use a leather armor or something of the sort.

Maybe the bottom of the city guard will use DR1* armor as well, but probably, they will instead use a shield for protection, or metal armor in some areas(torso/head).
If you have less than $200, you can buy either a suit of cloth armor with DR1*, or a shield, and armor with DR2 or 3 for the torso.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
That's why nearly all of it gives DRs higher than 1 (With or with out *), at pretty good weight-to-DR ratios as well. Especially the winter clothing + parka combo, which is 10 lbs of winter clothing (See errata) plus 10 lbs of parka, for 20 lbs and a -1 DX penalty to get an unmodified DR 1, and only on the torso and arms (where winter-clothing overlaps the parka).

At 9 pounds and no DX penalty, the Cloth armor is superior in every way. You can tell that it's military equipment :) AND it doesn't give you heat-stroke in non-arctic conditions!

Effectiveness of armor is more than just DR. Cost, weigh, penalties to combat skills, heat are all issues.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That's why nearly all of it gives DRs higher than 1 (With or with out *), at pretty good weight-to-DR ratios as well. Especially the winter clothing + parka combo, which is 10 lbs of winter clothing (See errata) plus 10 lbs of parka, for 20 lbs and a -1 DX penalty to get an unmodified DR 1, and only on the torso and arms (where winter-clothing overlaps the parka).

At 9 pounds and no DX penalty, the Cloth armor is superior in every way. You can tell that it's military equipment :) AND it doesn't give you heat-stroke in non-arctic conditions!

Effectiveness of armor is more than just DR. Cost, weigh, penalties to combat skills, heat are all issues.
None of this changes the fact that clothing, even thick clothing, is flexible. It very much ought to have an * next to the DR.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
None of this changes the fact that clothing, even thick clothing, is flexible. It very much ought to have an * next to the DR.
Oh, sure! But even WITH the full 1 DR, the clothing is really crappy armor.

I wouldn't give the parka a split DR (that's really a hell of a lot of clothing, much of which is leather at these TLs) but some of the other clothing options probably should have split DR along with the *.

Incidentally, there IS a DR 1 (no star, no split) armor on the list - cane armor :) it weighs 18 lbs for a wickerwork suit that's the equivalent of that parka-winter-clothes combo, and even THAT doesn't give the -1 DX penalty. It's cheaper and even 2 lbs lighter, although it does have a bad habit of catching fire..
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Shawn has already acknowledged that the clothing High Tech should have flexible DR and needs an errata note. Low-Tech needs to also have errata to remain consistent.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, flexible armor, low tech, low tech armor, low-tech