Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Yami Fowl
 
Yami Fowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brazil
Default Machine Based Unkillable 3

Hey guys,

How would you rule, a Machine Based Unkillable 2 or 3...
The point is:
Whenever my chacter is killed, he his consciousness is transfered to computer, which injects his consciousness back into a clone.
(I know that should be bought as Extra Life, but the point is that is a floating points RPG and the GM thought receiving multiple Extra Lifes for free cause of a ultra-tech justification would be unfair to the other players, so I asked him about buying Unkillable 2 or 3 with a limitation)

The point of the limitation would be:
As long as the "Clone Machine" is intact, I'll be back.
How would you state this?

Thanks!
__________________
Current Playing:
Gurps Fantasy.
Current GMing:
DnD 3.5 on an original setting.
Planning a GURPS Sci-Fi Campaign.
Yami Fowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
carllarson
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

Unkillable 3 with Trigger (reload from computer backup)?
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Yami Fowl
 
Yami Fowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brazil
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

Ok...
But then again, what would be the % value of the limitation?
__________________
Current Playing:
Gurps Fantasy.
Current GMing:
DnD 3.5 on an original setting.
Planning a GURPS Sci-Fi Campaign.
Yami Fowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
warmachine
 
warmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Reading, England
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

You'll have to explain the setting some more. If it's ultra-tech, it's available to anyone with enough money and you don't pay CP for mass produced, technological miracles, merely for the Wealth to purchase them. If it's a gadget that can't be mass produced, gadget limitations to the Extra Life applies.
__________________
Matthew Greet

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
aesir23
 
aesir23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: China
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

What are the game mechanics?

Does it take a while for the clone to reach your current position? That'd be Takes Extra Time.

I'd be tempted to say Temporary Disadvantage (Electrical) or Technological Countermeasures to represent the possibility of interference with your restoration.

If you don't remember the circumstances of your death this is Temporary Disadvantage (Amnesia).

There is no 'costs money' limitation, but if there was it would be appropriate.

If there is none of the above are true, the ability may not have any limitations!
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Mgellis
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Fowl View Post
Hey guys,

How would you rule, a Machine Based Unkillable 2 or 3...
The point is:
Whenever my chacter is killed, he his consciousness is transfered to computer, which injects his consciousness back into a clone.
(I know that should be bought as Extra Life, but the point is that is a floating points RPG and the GM thought receiving multiple Extra Lifes for free cause of a ultra-tech justification would be unfair to the other players, so I asked him about buying Unkillable 2 or 3 with a limitation)

The point of the limitation would be:
As long as the "Clone Machine" is intact, I'll be back.
How would you state this?

Thanks!
You might just use the Superscience, -10% limitation from GURPS Supers. (This is also the same value as a "Rare" Achilles Heel, so it seems reasonable.)

What this means is "Yes, the guy has Unkillable, but he depends on a machine to do it and that means there is a small chance someone might destroy the machine, interrupt the process, etc." The actual details are simply special effects; you have to define them, but you don't have to work out the point costs.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2
 
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The deep dark haunted woods
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

Simply buy Unkillable 3 with the Breakable gadget limitation. Possibly Unique as well.
__________________
"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power."
- Sam Starfall from the webcomic Freefall
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
capnq
 
capnq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pittsburgh PA USA
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

Wow, did this ever dredge up an old memory.

Tower Comics' T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents had a character called NoMan, who had a similar power, except the bodies were androids rather than clones, and he could voluntarily transfer between bodies (he didn't have to die or be dying).

According to the info at that link, I was only 6 years old when Issue #1 came out. I never saw any later issues.
__________________
Cap'n Q

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq
Tower Comics' T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents had a character called NoMan, who had a similar power, except the bodies were androids rather than clones, and he could voluntarily transfer between bodies (he didn't have to die or be dying).
Whoa... 60s flashback 8|

Heh... NoMan was always my favorite THUNDER agent. His android bodies were physically superior to ordinary humans, but not to the extent of the abilities granted by the other agent's gadgets. They (the androids) were tremendously expensive, and the Invisibility Cloak (his trademark) was unique, so he was loathe to just let his body die except in emergencies. There was always the risk, though, that something could happen to deactivate the body before he had the chance to transfer his consciousness out... the equivalent of 'death', for him.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
Ego Archive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mpls, MN
Default Re: Machine Based Unkillable 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Whoa... 60s flashback 8|

Heh... NoMan was always my favorite THUNDER agent. His android bodies were physically superior to ordinary humans, but not to the extent of the abilities granted by the other agent's gadgets. They (the androids) were tremendously expensive, and the Invisibility Cloak (his trademark) was unique, so he was loathe to just let his body die except in emergencies. There was always the risk, though, that something could happen to deactivate the body before he had the chance to transfer his consciousness out... the equivalent of 'death', for him.
That adds a possible limitation, "Takes extra time (Concentrate action) -10%". Not so much for the OP's request, but as an interesting way to do a similar Unkillable.
__________________
Profession Life path Templates

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.