Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Zeldisaster

Default Munchkin Quest Booster packs? Surely cards all cost the same to print.

I fully understand why Munchkin Quest, Munchkin Quest 2, Portal Kombat, and Extra Parts are all too expensive to print when you compare Price vs. Popularity.

But what about just the cards? Standard Munchkin is easy to print expansions for BECAUSE it's literally just cards, but the people who have bought Munchkin Quest all seem to wish there was more to it than just the base and two expansions (Looking for Trouble and Portal Kombat). I see Munchkin Boosters sitting on the shelves at my FLGS all the time, but currently the only remaining "expansion" to Quest I could buy is if I found the overly-large Level Dial and spent the 6 bucks to buy that (and it only comes with 2 cards, only one of which is for Quest).

Surely cards for Munchkin Quest don't cost more than Munchkin cards would. Or is brown ink expensive? Cuz Quest cards use a LOT of brown ink.

(P.S. I didn't realize print stopped in 2004 or so, and that I was lucky to buy Quest, Quest 2, and Portal Kombat when I did. But I now happily own the major 3 parts of the game. And apparently the only 3 parts of the game...)
Zeldisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin Quest Booster packs? Surely cards all cost the same to print.

Sales on Munchkin Quest, especially the expansions, don't justify spending more time or money supporting the game. I wish it were different, but unless something changes, I wouldn't count on seeing more expansions.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Zeldisaster

Default Re: Munchkin Quest Booster packs? Surely cards all cost the same to print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Sales on Munchkin Quest, especially the expansions, don't justify spending more time or money supporting the game.
I'd first like to thank you and all the other staff for making a quality and fun game, then. Whenever my friends get together, we agree that the Quest variant is more involved and more fun than normal Munchkin (or in our specific case, Munchkin Deluxe).

Although, I'd like to offer a marketing gimmick as well as a way to make the niche Quest-lovers happy. A way to allow Munchkin Quest players to spend more money and a way to possibly drum up interest in the standard Munchkin player in at least buying out existing copies of Munchkin Quest.

Premise: Munchkin 6 and 6.5 had Dungeon cards, and these are double-sized cards to set near everyone while a typical game of Munchkin is going on. Even though there were cards that referenced these Dungeons, the Dungeons themselves were not sized for randomly-shuffled inclusion in the Door/Treasure deck. Instead, they were an add-on. A third deck.

Thus, why not add a line of text to future similar-styled add-ons (or cards in general) that only applied to Munchkin Quest players. Even if it was just a line in the accompanying rulebook of "If you're playing these cards aside your Munchkin Quest game, you can spend 1 Move to flip the next..." etc etc. Players of Munchkin will question what "Spending 1 Move" means, and realize there's a whole different game they could play. Munchkin Quest players will have another thing to spend their money on. The company only has to use a couple extra pennies of black ink to print the additional words.

That's it, a line of text on a future product to drum up hype from both existing Munchkin players and the Munchkin Quest niche.

Does that sound like something to offer to the other staff in the next meeting?
Zeldisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'll certainly consider it. Thanks for your passion!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote