Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [Horror+Spaceships] Are all Star Horror games made of the same blocks?

Greetings, all!

After comparing System Shock 2, Dead Space, and vague memories of some videos, I started wondering:

Are all Star Horror campaigns (that is, campaigns involving horror on a starship, preferably in deep deep space where nobody can hear you scream) made of the same pieces. Notably, it seems like spaceship sections can be 'used' in various orders, but a long adventure will usually involve the following locations:
  • Engineering. Usually involves fixing engines or something.
  • Medical bay/medlab/medsci. With lots of scary new monsters somehow related to experiments or something.
  • Hydroponics/gardens/etc. Probably Open Space in G:SS terms.
  • Control room/bridge. The options are many
  • Cargo hold. Probably filler.
  • Crew Quarters. May involve a 'what awful horror really happened to the crew' moment.
  • Hangar bay. Usually involves a failed attempt to escape.

So it made me wonder about more general Star Horror questions. Such as the fact that Body Horror often goes hand-in-hand with Star Horror, or that 'scary lifeform' templates can probably be made (i.e. that the types of lifeforms used as adversaries in star horrors seems limited - the 'parasitic' and the 'unliving' are probably the two 'superpowers' of SH).

Anyway, is there really much variation that can be done? Even if not, I'd gladly hear other people's thoughts on this subject. Thread drift encouraged, as long as it mostly pertains to RP and fiction.

Thanks in advance!

Tags
horror, space