Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
KarlKost

Default Shamans with Social skills, not spells

So, I've been making some thinkering about Shamans that are built using social abilities instead of just spell lists with some modified Magery, and even instead just simply advantages or abilities in powers with a simple "Spirit" modifier that has Fickle to say that it comes from spirits...

No, I wanted the real deal. I want a Shaman that ACTUALLY has to pledge for favors with REAL spirits.

Yes, over the course of the game it is possible to gain permanent abilities or "magic items" (fetishes) from spiritual dealings, but ALL of those will NEED to be roleplayed - either the "Lady of the Lake" gives you Excalibur after you diligently take care of Arthur all his life, or the Faerie Queen gives you command over the elements after your indispensable help against the Unseelie uprising or whatever.

So, here's my first HIGHLY unorthodox take at it. I hope you enjoy :)

"Spiritual Summoning - 14 CP/lvl if spiritual dealings are common in the world, 28 CP + 14 CP/lvl if spiritual dealings are hidden or a rare gift, max 4 lvls

Contact Group x5 (Disparate) (Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact)
Skill (Spirit World) 12 -> 1 CP
Always Present x4 (no need to roll for appareance)
Unreliable 1/2
Special Abilities - 1 CP (only if hidden magic world; dont apply to high-fantasy)
Broad Scope (anywhere in the game) +100% (Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact)
Highly Acessable 2 (+50%) (can always contact the spirits - they show in 1d x 5 seconds) (Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact)
Patient (can call the spirits once every 15 min with no penalties) +80% (Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact)
Costs FP 1 (-5%)
Immediate Preparation Required - 10 min (-45%) (Power Ups - Limitations)
Attracts Threats -5% (6-) (Power Ups - Limitations)
Requires Reaction Roll -5% (Gurps Powers)
Granted by (Familiar or Patron) -40% (Power Ups - Limitations)
Reciprocal -50% (Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact)
Convince Me (Skill Roll - usually Savoir-Faire (Spirit)) -10% (Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact)
Spirit Power -30%

Skill/Levels - 10, 13, 16, 19
Increasing at least 1 spot in Reliability increases skill +2

This is the Shamans main tool of his art. The Shamans spends 10 min in rituallistic summoning, after which he makes a Ritual Magic roll (the GM may allow the use of assisting skills, like ritual drawing or such). If the Shaman is successful, a natural spirit answers the call after 1dx5 seconds and may be persuaded to enter his service.
This is ALWAYS dangerous thou, because if the Shamans rolls 15+, EVEN IF HIS ROLL IS SUCCESSFUL, he will attract a random "corrupt" spirit (at the GMs choice - Demon, Specter, Things-Men-Were-Not-Supposed-To-Know, etc), which will IMMEDIATLY attack the Shaman (usually by trying to posses him).
The Shaman may attrack both the spirit he is trying to court AND a corrupt spirit if the Ritual Magic roll succeded at 15+; in that case, the corrupted entity may attack both the Shaman and the spirit summoned (if the corrupted spirit can be driven away, the summoned spirit that the Shaman were expecting to get aid from wont be happy, acting at a -3 reaction roll).
A Critical Success or Critical Failure in this first roll are left to the GM's cruelty and benevolence (but it is not a bad idea to give bonuses in all the other steps of this process in case of a critical success, and some nasty "big bad" in case of a critical failure)
An Occultism roll (in addition to the Ritual Magic roll) may help in case the Shaman wants to Summon a SPECIFIC type of spirit - for example, summoning a wolf spirit, or a fire elemental, or a spirit of love, etc), otherwise the spirit (sometimes more than one - GM's call) type will be totally random (GM's decision, but NEVER a "corrupt" spirit, who only shows in case of a 13+ roll on the Ritual Magic)
After the successful invocation, the summoned spirit makes a Reaction Roll with all the modifiers.
After the initial reaction of the spirit to the summoner, the Shaman must begin to try to "court" the spirit, using Savoir Faire (Spirits) in order to win his favor.
If the Shaman is successful in all this trials, the bargain begins. Spirits are very unreliable in their dealings, thus it is always a good idea to offer SACRIFICES to them. Rare herbs and high quality food, wines, beer, tobbacco, incense, balms, precious stones, pieces of art. This follows the same rules for bribing Contacts (B.44), except that the Shaman wont be offering money, but products that collectively have the same value. It is advisable to gift at least the equivalent of 1 day of income from someone of average wealth, in order to make the spirit more cooperative (1 reliability above, +2 to his skill).
Those sacrifices can be bought previously, or the Shaman may spend his free time gathering them himself - which some spirits even prefer. Skills to funtion outdoors to gather fruits, herb lore and hunting skills will prove useful. Since Shamans spend a lot of time in the wilds, they pretty much are constantly doing that anyway - assume that instead of having a regular job, Shamans spend their time gathering food for themselves and the spirits. 8 hours of gathering for the spirits gather the same as 1 day of income for someone with average wealth. Only if the Shaman is kept busy for too long would he truly be unable to have a steady supply of offerings.
After all this process, if the Shaman made it up to this point, that means that the spirit has agreed to help - but it will require some sort of payment. That can come in the form of additional sacrifices or favors that the spirit expects - it will all depend on how big the favor the Shaman expects from the spirit.
Very good encounters with a summoned spirit may end up in a more permanent association (the possibility for the Shaman to buy a new spirit ally or new spiritual contact - roleplay it)
Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact has all that you need to acess what can be asked, and at what price.

From this point on, it is possible to buy permanent abilities with points, if any spirit can be convinced to gift them (that will NECESSARILY be worked out with the GM).

Critical failures at any point or a bad Reaction Roll may end up with the spirit cursing, afflicting with disease or trying to posses the Shaman (among others)

So... Thoughts?

Last edited by KarlKost; 06-23-2022 at 12:52 PM.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #2
KarlKost

Default Re: Shamans with Social skills, not spells

This Spirit Power costs -30% because it is different from the Gurps Powers

This is based on the following:
Spirit Powers Modifier -30%
Required Disadvantage (1) - Sense of Duty (Servitor Spirit) -5%
Required Disadvantage (1) - Disciplines of Faith (Ritualism) - 5%
Required Disadvantage (1) - Intolerance (Corruption) - 5%

If Transgressor:
Spirits attack Shaman -5%
Must suffer incapacitating Affliction to recover powers -5%
*Limited by Spiritual Barrier level -5%

* Spiritual Barrier = "alternate" mana level for spiritual powers only as per Thaumatology (alternative mana), or just simply Mana Level if not using that.
(1) This also requires the -15 CPs in disadvantages for any Shaman Lenses. Those do not count towards the Disadvantages max
Old 05-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
jason taylor

The Shaman should also have Social Skills specific to dealing with people. Law (tribal lore), Diplomacy, Social Regard, Trained by a Master (if there is an apprenticeship system for the job as there must have been).
Old 05-24-2022, 06:40 PM   #4
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The Shaman should also have Social Skills specific to dealing with people. Law (tribal lore), Diplomacy, Social Regard, Trained by a Master (if there is an apprenticeship system for the job as there must have been).
Yes yes, absolutely, I will work in a full template for it. I must also incluse Channeling with Reduced Time and Awareness and perhaps something more to allow him to be "partially possessed" by spirits in order to momentanly gain their IQ, DX, skills and perhaps some of their abilities, it needs a version of Medium for "natural spirits", Spirit Empathy and perhaps a few more.

Also, the section about sacrifices of Thaumatology is of great help. Probably Spirits would enjoy sacrifices in the form of FP (or even better ER), and even more so in the form of HP. And perhaps... Perhaps some human sacrifices could do wonders to gain their favor...

But I was trying to make the first backbone of it, the primordial thing that makes a Shaman: the ability to summon spirits and set a bargain. I guess the ability I created (turning Contacts into a power!) is well tuned for the job, what do you think?
Old 05-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
...Trained by a Master (if there is an apprenticeship system for the job as there must have been).
That's a possibility I had not considered before... I like that. Any suggestions on costs and benefits for this? (Surely it would not give Zen Archery for a Shaman).
Old 05-24-2022, 09:16 PM   #6
Refplace

I go with Medium for talking with spirits and add modifiers and some other stuff for a leveled power that can go up to about 100 points.
Channeling is another option for Spirit Vessel or Totem-Bearer (Totems and Nature Spirits) and that is another leveled power though it does not go as high as Medium can.

Spirit Empathy is essential to use Influence Rolls and skills on most spirits and of course the social skills, mainly Diplomacy.
Allies, Contacts, and Patrons represent relationships with specific spirits.
then I have a host of powers that area available to some shaman.
This lets me represent different cultures pretty well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:33 AM   #7
KarlKost

Medium - 2 CP
Specialized ("Natural" Spirits) -50%
Spirit Power -30%

See Invisible (Spirits) - 4 CP
Immediate Preparation Required (1 min) -30%
Requires Concentrate -15%
Spirit Power -30%

Those are the other two abilities necessary for the craft
Old 05-25-2022, 05:33 AM   #8
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I go with Medium for talking with spirits and add modifiers and some other stuff for a leveled power that can go up to about 100 points.
Channeling is another option for Spirit Vessel or Totem-Bearer (Totems and Nature Spirits) and that is another leveled power though it does not go as high as Medium can.

Spirit Empathy is essential to use Influence Rolls and skills on most spirits and of course the social skills, mainly Diplomacy.
Allies, Contacts, and Patrons represent relationships with specific spirits.
then I have a host of powers that area available to some shaman.
This lets me represent different cultures pretty well.
Yes, Medium is for talking with them. That's the primordial prerequisite. The "Spiritual Summoning" ability that I described above is nothing more nothing less than a heavily modified Contact (Group), which I heavily modified in order to turn it into a "Contact" which encompasses ALL the natural spirits, while also remmoving ANY impossibilities for it not to be avaiable, while also making them reach the "summoner" fast (1dx5 seconds as per Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact).

That way it has EFFECTIVELY transformed that social advantage into a proper power - much like Allies with Summonable and Minion can be turned into a power (I plan to add that next). So, this "power" went on from being a "simple" Contact to turn into a proper summoning ability - Spirits feel compelled to show.

The rest of the modifiers are to add flavor - like requiring a 10 min ritual, spending 1 FP, but also to add more "sense" in it, thus you have to properly convince the spirit to help using social skills (so basically this "power" truly only SUMMONS the spirits, who may be willing to help). Also, "Add Threats" serves to add a component of randomness, uncertanty and DANGER that is common when dealing with spirits.

I went for Savoir Faire (Spirits) for the skill roll to convince the spirit rather than, say, Diplomacy, because this "Summoning" is highly ritualistic, so you have to use the proper "etiquette" to deal with them.

Anyway, this "power" is used as a "greeting card" to "form new friends". Any Spirits that get impressed by the Shaman's "first call may give the Shaman "its number", and be open for future dealings, over time being open to buy as new contacts, allies and even patrons.

I'll work on a Channeling power with a few modifications.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:45 AM   #9
Anders

Enthrallment skills may be an interesting option. As some kind of supernatural hold on people.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:30 AM   #10
KarlKost

Spiritual Strenght - 23 CP
"Channeling"
Reflexive +40%
Reduced Time 6 (Instant) +120%
Aware +50%
Specialized (Natural Spirits) -50%
Spirit Power -30%

Spiritual Attunement - 6 CP lvl 1, 11 CP lvl 2 + 10/lvl
Modular Abilities (4+2)
Limited (Mind Link Only) -50%
Spirit -30%
Skill Roll Magic Ritual

This ability allows the Shaman to ask for the strenght of the spirits that he is personally attuned to.

In order to receive the spirits strenghts, the Shaman MUST be attuned to the spirits he's going to receive the power.

To attune to a spirit, the Shaman must have previously setted a bargain with them (see Spirit Summoning). At Lvl 1 of Attunement the Shaman will only have a single spirit attuned - since this will most of the time be his familiar or his totem, Shamans will need at least lvl 2, which allows him to attune to 2 up to 9 spirits; at level 3 10 to 99 and so forth, with a 10 times increase at each level.

Either the Shaman or the Spirit can end the attunement at any moment - but the Spirit will only do so after fullfilling his part of the bargain. If the Shaman decides to cease the attunement with any Spirit, it is considered that the bargain is completed and the Spirit is free to go free of charges. If the Shaman doesnt fulfill his part of the bargain, he loses ALL his powers and is attacked by angry spirits.

To attune to a new Spirit however requires a ritual of at least 1dx10 minutes (Ritual Magic Roll) with several offerings, that binds the 2 parts togheter under their compromised deal.

The Shaman can have any amount of Spirits attuned with him at any time, up to his lvl allowed for Spiritual Attunement. The spirits thus attuned with him can talk telephatically with the Shaman without any roll (if they have that capacity), as long as the Shaman is willing.

Moreover, attuned Spirits can lend some of their capacities to the Shaman. A Spirit with higher IQ than the Shaman can lend him his higher IQ rate; spirits with valuable skills can lend them to the Shaman (skill values WITHOUT the spirits' own attribute modifiers; the attribute modifiers will be those of the Shaman. The Shaman can keep the HIGHER of any traits that either him or the spirits granting him the traits have.

Althought it is possible to gain SEVERAL traits while borrowing their strenght, usually the Shaman will only gain 1 or a few. The very nature of the benefits gained must be determined during their bargaining ("give me your magic knowldge and I'll offer you my own blood every full moon!" For gaining Thaumatology skill, or "teach me the language of the beasts and I'll sacrifice a deer for you every sunday Great Wolf" for acquiring Speak with Animals)

* What Channeling does in this case is allowing the Shaman to be partially possessed by any spirit with whom he has a link with. It is a small adaptation from the Advantage due to the Aware enhancement, with Reduced Time and Reflexive to open up as a reflexive instantaneous trait. Basically the Shaman gets possessed by one of the Spirits with which he has set a bargain, but the Shaman remains in control all the time, with only the spirits delivering their part of the bargain.

Since the Shaman remains in control, he can be possessed by ANY number of Spirits at any given time, with ALL of them granting him the bonuses they promissed.

If the Spirits are exorcized or otherwise driven away, the Shaman IMMEDIATLY lose all bonuses - but the spirits will return when they are allowed to in order to deliver them, until they are have fulfilled the bargain the Shaman.

** Sometimes the spirits may give ADDITIONAL, unexpected aid, to the Shaman. They are in no way compelled to do so - the ONLY thing that they MUST deliver is what was agreed upon at the bargain. However, they can freely help the Shaman if they are so inclined - GM's fiat.

*** Having SEVERAL spirits attuned at the same time may not be a good idea. Sometimes they may not like each other, and can decide to hinder the Shaman in the process. The Shaman may roll Occultism before adding any new member to his "horde". Usually thou, a Spirit will simply refuse to help someone who walks around with "those people", but some trickester ones may decide to tag along just to annoy the other guy. If the spirits start to behave erratically, roll Diplomacy to try to spot "troublemakers" and try to make them fall in line before they cause a revolution at your "court"