Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #31
whswhs

Default Re: Impulse Points and Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
No goalpost moving here. That's just how I took Ander's post. Maybe you saw it another way? I use Impulse Buys a lot and have written a lot of stuff for it for GURPS so I'm used to it. It's like how Serendipity can be converted over to Impulse Buys - 2 points lets you alter the scene just like the advantage except you can specify what's going on. That's in the basic.
What Anders says now is "Originally the thought was to replace Common Sense, but there's a place for it after all." Not "Common Sense with such and such modifiers." Just plain Common Sense. If you assumed that he was talking about Common Sense with modifiers, you were imposing additional postulates that were not part of the question as stated. That's moving the goalposts, even if you weren't aware that you were doing so.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #32
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What Anders says now is "Originally the thought was to replace Common Sense, but there's a place for it after all." Not "Common Sense with such and such modifiers." Just plain Common Sense. If you assumed that he was talking about Common Sense with modifiers, you were imposing additional postulates that were not part of the question as stated. That's moving the goalposts, even if you weren't aware that you were doing so.
No, Bill. It's not. Of course, I was talking to Anders about it elsewhere so maybe that conversation bled through here so you could have just lacked context. *shrugs* It happens to the best of us.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:57 PM   #33
Lovewyrm

I think this thread shows why GURPS is a pretty good system.
People can actually argue about an aspect about it that covers GM and player cooperation/help/guidance, wheras players vs GM/DM is such a common presupposed paradigm thing.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote