Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
Witchking

Default Re: Power Stone Mana Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I wasn't suggesting that everyone carrying a stone be a mage. Powerstones recharge fine when carried by non-mages.

It's just that when the time comes for healing it's really convenient if the wounded party memebr has a Powerstone that can let the party mage cast the required Major Healing without worrying about where the energy is going to come from.
Hmm. Interesting wrinkle. I will have to ponder on that a while. I am just used to using other party members as 'mules' for my powerstones.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #12
Ndreare

Awesome, thank you everyone. It is hard when trying to read so much to remember where you first saw it. But I am really getting into GURPS and like to make sure I understand things. I like to avoid house rules until I have used a system as intended. So these things help me a lot.
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's just that when the time comes for healing it's really convenient if the wounded party member has a Powerstone that can let the party mage cast the required Major Healing without worrying about where the energy is going to come from.
It's like the military first aid rule: use the casualty's own first aid supplies.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:25 PM   #14
Plane

Just realizing now that the whole 'proximity' thing is one of the things I wouldn't know how to do when trying to define these as advantages via ER (Magic) w/ Gadget limitations.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:57 PM   #15
Eric Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Important secondary note IIRC in that same place it also states that ONLY 1 Powerstone can regenerate in a hex (strongest stone takes precedence).

So if the party mage empties all of his Stones in a fight he may have 2-4 of his friends carrying empty stones for the next week or so to get 'recharged'.
Not "hex"... :)

Technically it is 6' apart (M69), so a wizard 6' STAFF staff is perfect to rest two which the wizard can choose to draw on via the STAFF (M13). Likewise your allies could each carry two that way (shoe and on hat)...
So a group of 'humans' can manage Party*2 stones. (More if you have a wagon and literal mules)...

See also the Powerstone Parker "Precision Recharger" perk which can aid PCs... (GURPS Thaumatology Magical Stylesp.32).

Last edited by Eric Funk; 05-24-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: order
Eric Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #16
Eric Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It's like the military first aid rule: use the casualty's own first aid supplies.
My party's healer has been encumbered** with all the healing supplies and just recently the character went off on a spirit quest* and after the next battle everyone asked... "ok, how do we heal? Hmm, where are all our healing potions? Oh, the healer has them? When will they be back?"

*IRL reasons

** Ok, that is a good reason to distribute the weight among those with the ST... they're also more likely to get in a melee...

Last edited by Eric Funk; 05-24-2022 at 07:19 PM. Reason: brevity
Eric Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:14 PM   #17
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Funk View Post
Not "hex"... :)

Technically it is 6' apart (M69), so a wizard 6' STAFF staff is perfect to rest two which the wizard can choose to draw on via the STAFF (M13). Likewise your allies could each carry two that way (shoe and on hat)...
So a group of 'humans' can manage Party*2 stones. (More if you have a wagon and literal mules)...

See also the Powerstone Parker "Precision Recharger" perk which can aid PCs... (GURPS Thaumatology Magical Stylesp.32).
Umm 36 years probably a couple more than that PC's played, another 20+ PC's written up as backups...95% for Fantasy campaigns.

Never made a character as tall as 6'. Historically 5'6"-5'7" would be closer to average. 6+ footers existed but were notable. One stone per travelling companion, party member, mule has always been enough for me.

YMMV.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #18
Witchking

Quote:
** Ok, that is a good reason to distribute the weight among those with the ST... they're also more likely to get in a melee...
Its always a wise idea to have a healer.

It is always a terrible idea to not carry all the healing the campaign allows and you can afford (both $ and lbs.)

If party really gets hosed and you are sub-critical and the healer is lights out; patch up him/her first.

Expensive lessons I have paid for but you may use.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:44 PM   #19
StevenH

Quote:

...As long as they don't stand too close to each other. Fine out in the wilderness, but in a crowded city, people tend to bunch up.

And if the PCs are short? Give each of them a 6+' staff with compartments at each end to put dead Powerstones in. That way the stones are kept at least 6' apart, regardless of player character height.

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #20
bocephus

To the Original poster, there are also some fan made materials out on the interwebs that you might find interesting. Do searches for Manastones and Powerstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
...As long as they don't stand too close to each other. Fine out in the wilderness, but in a crowded city, people tend to bunch up.

And if the PCs are short? Give each of them a 6+' staff with compartments at each end to put dead Powerstones in. That way the stones are kept at least 6' apart, regardless of player character height.
In general I wouldn't and don't get stressy if each player was carrying one, they generally trade smaller ones with cash/items to get bigger ones, I don't think I have any group that has more than one each PC, maybe someone with a handful of really small ones.

I would not allow the 6ft tall shoe and hat thing, unless it was just a lighthearted silly game.

Though the 6'6" staff idea does have merit. If those were the only two stones in the group. Multiple people in the same group doing that I would rule against it, again unless its a lighthearted silly game.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first aid, healing