Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2022, 06:38 AM   #1
KarlKost

Default Help with Cosmic: No Die Roll

So, enhancements has Cosmic +100% No Die Roll Required.

That's good, however it says that in case the margin is necessary, it should be treated as a 0 margin success.

So, there is "Fixed Time +0%" Enhancement for abilities that have a duration based on margin, changing that to a fixed +3 margin of success.

And you have "Reliable +5%/+1" to increase the roll of any ability.

Those are the enhancements I would base myself off, but obviously they arent balanced for my purpose.

What Im looking for is "Cosmic: No Die Roll Required X%/+1 success margin".

Any ideas?

(well, maybe that should begin with the +300% value, or perhaps +100%/+1 margin, so +1 is 200%, +2 300% and so on)
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Help with Cosmic: No Die Roll

enhancement on enhancements.

Put the cosmic:NDRR +00% also on the Reliable enhancement turning it from +5% to +15% per +1.

Fixed time turns the "time from Margin of success minutes to 3 minutes flat, which can then be modified.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #3
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
And you have "Reliable +5%/+1" to increase the roll of any ability.

Those are the enhancements I would base myself off, but obviously they arent balanced for my purpose.
Beyond that, Reliable can be useful on an ability with NDRR since you can still only succeed if your target is at least 3. Which means Reliable can help soak up penalities.
Quote:
What Im looking for is "Cosmic: No Die Roll Required X%/+1 success margin".

Any ideas?

(well, maybe that should begin with the +300% value, or perhaps +100%/+1 margin, so +1 is 200%, +2 300% and so on)
I'm not aware of any official sources for such a modifier. As such it would be a GM call on what to price it. Depending on the ability +50%/+1 might be ok, for others +100%/+1 would be more appropriate and on some it might not be ok at all. Campaign and GM style are certainly also a consideration.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #4
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Beyond that, Reliable can be useful on an ability with NDRR since you can still only succeed if your target is at least 3. Which means Reliable can help soak up penalities.
That's true, thanks for the reminder

Quote:
I'm not aware of any official sources for such a modifier. As such it would be a GM call on what to price it. Depending on the ability +50%/+1 might be ok, for others +100%/+1 would be more appropriate and on some it might not be ok at all. Campaign and GM style are certainly also a consideration.
There isnt such a modifier, which is why I was asking how to best build it.

You're gonna make me say it, aint you?

So... I have been thinking of a certain Visualization advantage... Hmmm... You know... 10 sec concentration, roll IQ to give a bonus to your next action... As per Powers suggestion, +140% Reduced Time makes it instant... MAYBE adding something like Reflexive even...

So, the only thing I needed was... Err... You know... No Die Roll required... And some flat success margin for... Err... You know... Basically a flat bonus for... Basically... Everything...

And perhaps even Enhanced Time Sense to justify removing the 1/3 bonus limitation for combat... Or just a Cosmic +300% (Full Bonus at Combat)...

So... For 54 CPs I get this advantage (58 for reflexive)... Now I just need a value to give a success margin on top of NDRR... If that's +100% that's fine! It means +10 CPs per +1 flat bonus...

So it would be 68 CPs Lvl 1, which would give a flat +1 bonus to... ANY roll... And +10 CPs per extra +1 bonus.

For example, 108 CPs for a flat perma bonus to... EVERYTHING. At least everything DX or IQ related.

What? Why are you looking at me like that?

Please dont judge me...
Old 05-23-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
WingedKagouti

Quote:
So... I have been thinking of a certain Visualization advantage... Hmmm... You know... 10 sec concentration, roll IQ to give a bonus to your next action... As per Powers suggestion, +140% Reduced Time makes it instant... MAYBE adding something like Reflexive even...
And that's one of the things I as a GM would likely say "No, you can't do that at all" to in almost any campaign.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
KarlKost

Quote:
And that's one of the things I as a GM would likely say "No, you can't do that at all" to in almost any campaign.
Bu bu but... You havent even heard the good stuff...
Old 05-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
KarlKost

Quote:
Now, lets assume I was not trying to chea... Err, I mean, not trying to create an inventive new ability.

I would still be interested in how to turn an ability or advantage that is roll based/margin based into an ability that doesnt need to roll, like NDRR, however with something more than just a margin of zero - like a "Reliable" of sorts for that alone.

For educational purposes only, I swear.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
The problem is that your purpose is to use Visualization, and Visualization is completely broken (if someone wanted to use it my game: 'it gives you a +1 bonus. MoS has no effect').
Old 05-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The problem is that your purpose is to use Visualization, and Visualization is completely broken (if someone wanted to use it my game: 'it gives you a +1 bonus. MoS has no effect').
That seems vastly overpriced. A +1 to a single roll after 10 seconds preparation and an IQ roll, feels like a perk.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That seems vastly overpriced. A +1 to a single roll after 10 seconds preparation and an IQ roll, feels like a perk.
It's essentially '+1 to any one attribute, immediate preparation required, requires IQ roll'. That's on the order of 10 points.