Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2022, 06:05 AM   #1
Guinea

Default Active Area Effect Buff

I'm trying to build a couple of powers that buff people within an emanation area. The basic idea is that people inside the area get affected by the buff and as soon as they leave they lose the effect. If they reenter they are affected again.

I'm trying to build a water-breathing+pressure support 2 aura and a flight aura.

I tried playing around with Afflictions but was unable to recreate what I want. Any ideas?
Guinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Active Area Effect Buff

One idea would be an Area Effect Affliction with Persistent, Fixed Duration (which, per Sorcery, makes it last 3 minutes rather than MoF minutes), and enough Reduced Duration* that the Affliction effect would only last for 1 second or so. If you waive the "resistance" roll for beneficial Afflictions, that would mean anyone in the area would have the Advantage, and leaving the area would mean it would expire within a second.

If it's meant to surround the user, that's probably the relevant abilities with Affects Others; toss Area Effect on the Affects Others Enhancement** and I think you'll be good to go.

*Technically, this should also reduce how long the Persistent effect lasts. I'd say apply a "Not Reduced Duration" Enhancement to Persistent**, with the worth being the opposite of the Reduced Duration; you can then add Extended Duration if you want the effect to last longer than (IIRC) 10 seconds.

*Enhancing an Enhancement is pretty simple. Say you have a +50% Enhancement call Foo, and you want to apply a +20% Enhancement called Bar to it - that would be Foo (Bar+20%) +60%. You do this if you have an Enhancement that realistically only applies to that one Enhancement, not to the power as a whole.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #3
Guinea

Default Re: Active Area Effect Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
One idea would be an Area Effect Affliction with Persistent, Fixed Duration (which, per Sorcery, makes it last 3 minutes rather than MoF minutes), and enough Reduced Duration* that the Affliction effect would only last for 1 second or so. If you waive the "resistance" roll for beneficial Afflictions, that would mean anyone in the area would have the Advantage, and leaving the area would mean it would expire within a second.

If it's meant to surround the user, that's probably the relevant abilities with Affects Others; toss Area Effect on the Affects Others Enhancement** and I think you'll be good to go.

*Technically, this should also reduce how long the Persistent effect lasts. I'd say apply a "Not Reduced Duration" Enhancement to Persistent**, with the worth being the opposite of the Reduced Duration; you can then add Extended Duration if you want the effect to last longer than (IIRC) 10 seconds.

*Enhancing an Enhancement is pretty simple. Say you have a +50% Enhancement call Foo, and you want to apply a +20% Enhancement called Bar to it - that would be Foo (Bar+20%) +60%. You do this if you have an Enhancement that realistically only applies to that one Enhancement, not to the power as a whole.
The second solution is costly but it sounds like the best approach, thanks!
Guinea is offline   Reply With Quote