Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #121
Witchking

Default Re: Archery in this game kind of sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
My point is that bow vs melee is very unbalanced. Limited ammo. Two strikes vs one per turn, not counting extra attack which can't be used with a bow. +4 vs +1 all out attack. Telegraphic attacks which bows can't do. +2 or 1 damage per die all out attacks which I can't use with a bow. Flurry of blows and mighty blows which I can't do with a bow. Parries and blocks which are typically higher defense than my dodge. Very high range penalties which negate my skill where that doesn't affect melee.

But hey, I can probably kill pigeons better
If I were 15 yards back from the melee scrum and Archer-18 I would definitely consider All Out Attacking.

+4 to hit raises the skill to 22. At that skill level eye shots start to enter the realm of the possible. Since you *should* be 2-3 rounds of foot travel away from opponents no real risk for the AoA.

Last edited by Witchking; 02-21-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:43 PM   #122
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
If I were 15 yards back from the melee scrum and Archer-8 I would definitely consider All Out Attacking.

+4 to hit raises the skill to 22. At that skill level eye shots start to enter the realm of the possible. Since you *should* be 2-3 rounds of foot travel away from opponents no real risk for the AoA.
Ranged AoA is +1.

Having watched Scouts utterly dominate against anything with eyes or vitals for three different DF campaigns, this whole discussion seems to be from an alternate universe.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-21-2022 at 07:52 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:59 PM   #123
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Having watched Scouts utterly dominate against anything with eyes or vitals for three different DF campaigns, this whole discussion seems to be from an alternate universe.
Indeed. It's one where the characters are about a hundred pts less competent and (IMHO) the GM went out of his way to nerf the OP's character concept.

<shrug> I'd have made the character differently and if told that no one in the village could make me a bow that fit my strength I'd have found the pts to invest in Armory and made my own.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:06 PM   #124
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Indeed. It's one where the characters are about a hundred pts less competent and (IMHO) the GM went out of his way to nerf the OP's character concept.

<shrug> I'd have made the character differently and if told that no one in the village could make me a bow that fit my strength I'd have found the pts to invest in Armory and made my own.
I'd also have insisted on attacking from range and not handwaving the closing to melee...
Old 02-21-2022, 08:33 PM   #125
Farmer

Quote:
I'd also have insisted on attacking from range and not handwaving the closing to melee...
Or have just handwaved myself into an ideal ranged distance to keep shooting...
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #126
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Or have just handwaved myself into an ideal ranged distance to keep shooting...
Yes, "Okay, well while they were running 30 yards, I climbed up the belltower, cool?"
Old 02-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #127
Witchking

Quote:
Ranged AoA is +1.

LoL thanks for the correction. Been playing GURPS since 1986 mostly Sword + Sorcery, never been an archer.

It shows!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:44 AM   #128
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

If you are building an archer on stupidly low points, the Telescopic Vision advantage is your new best friend.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #129
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
If you are building an archer on stupidly low points, the Telescopic Vision advantage is your new best friend.
Eh, not really. It costs [5] per level and gives +1 per level to Aimed attacks, provided you Aim for seconds equal to this bonus. It should probably be limited to giving a total bonus equal to Acc, like a mounted scope does.

Meanwhile, increasing Bow skill costs [4] per level, and gives +1 per level to all attacks with the bow (as well as any roll to rapidly fire).

Telescopic Vision is still useful to a scout-type character, as it basically functions as Acute Vision 1 (Only to Negate Range Penalties) + Acute Vision 1 (Only to Negate Range Penalties; Requires Aim) + Ranged Attack +1 (Requires Aim; Cannot Exceed Weapon Acc). But if you don't need the bonus to spotting things at a distance, it's not worth it for the +1 to ranged attacks... although if the GM lets you buy it for the bonus alone, at [3]/level (only getting the vision bonus reduces cost to [2]/level), that may well be worth it. Or if you frequently use incompatible ranged combat skills, like Bow and Guns.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:33 PM   #130
brianfb

I th ink you missed the part about it also reduces range penalties, it essentially gives you a +3 to your bow if you aim for a mere 5 points.

Last edited by brianfb; 02-22-2022 at 12:47 PM.
brianfb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow, ranged combat