Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #781
dcarson

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Each side of the Atlantic has multiple plagues running about -- its possible the world's population will be reduced to 15% of its former quantity within 20 years. Infinity isn't sure that it has the resources to fight this, but the miracle works know they have to try -- even before they're sure if all the diseases have cures.

Quantum 4.
1515 AD
The American derived plagues would be unknown to Infinity doctors and researchers since they derive from a ecology that didn't exist in Homeline or any other known line. So they'll be able in terms of knowledge if not resources they can better help the population in the Americas. Until they research the new diseases they won't be able to vaccinate Europe, Africa or Asia.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #782
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
The American derived plagues would be unknown to Infinity doctors and researchers since they derive from a ecology that didn't exist in Homeline or any other known line. So they'll be able in terms of knowledge if not resources they can better help the population in the Americas. Until they research the new diseases they won't be able to vaccinate Europe, Africa or Asia.
Yep! that's the hard part on this world. If distributing the cures and vaccines for this world wasn't hard enough, to finish the job infinity has to figure out two or three measles league diseases that its own researchers aren't immune to, and every month of research kills hundreds of thousands.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #783
Flyndaran
Untagged

For plagues to go both ways requires them to not kill too many too fast for long ocean voyages.
You could have a few paranoid colonies that shoot natives on sight, while they in turn stay the heck away from the crazy disease monsters.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #784
patchwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this idea, Wilson takes the protectorate of Armenia (it was offered to the USA durring the Versailles Peace talks), the Protectorate of Georgia was added as well. The USA sets up Bases in the area in the 1920's and keeps the peace.

It's now 1939, Hitler sees the US presence in the Causus as a threat to his plans and hopes to set Stalin and the USA to fighting. Then he can invade Russia while the USA and Russia are at war.

Place this world on Quantum Six and the sidefights should get nasty.
I'd rather put it in Quantum 3 and have Reich-5 running around; can't let them get their claws on a True Hitler though, so I'd have the last 20 years shake out differently and put different faces in charge in Germany. After all, it's not an Echo, it's in Quantum 6, and all the major players are kind of unpleasant to Centrum - why would they invest effort in a world like this?

Not terribly useful in a bog-standard I-cops campaign I'd think, since Infinity would probably be willing to use a lot of force to nip this Reich in the bud. Could be a lot of fun in a campaign where players are not Infinity employees though...I can imagine Homeline USA, Homeline France, and Merlin-1's CIA all having plans for this place if they find it first...
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #785
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yep! that's the hard part on this world. If distributing the cures and vaccines for this world wasn't hard enough, to finish the job infinity has to figure out two or three measles league diseases that its own researchers aren't immune to, and every month of research kills hundreds of thousands.
That assumes they're all viruses. Bacteria, no matter how deadly to virgin immune systems, would likely fall easy prey to basic antibiotics.
Remember all those diseases have no resistances to Homeline treatments either.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #786
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
For plagues to go both ways requires them to not kill too many too fast for long ocean voyages.
You could have a few paranoid colonies that shoot natives on sight, while they in turn stay the heck away from the crazy disease monsters.
Or for you to take carriers with you on your boat home. Or have a generally long incubation time. Yes, its not as simple as simple exposure. But life is complex, and if you have a disease that requires only humans to live, it'll make it over.

Yeah, people can weather the storm by shooting outsiders. Its a historically used and viable method. It also requires political strength and may help take down civilization in general as much as if it got the disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That assumes they're all viruses. Bacteria, no matter how deadly to virgin immune systems, would likely fall easy prey to basic antibiotics.
Remember all those diseases have no resistances to Homeline treatments either.
quite correct. Basic bacterial plagues can be stamped out. It takes more individual effort for home-line though -- its not fire and forget, like a vaccine is. Fighting a virus is a single innoculation. Fighting bacteria is easier research wise but harder for the folks on the ground, who have to be on the spot at the time of infection. And don't forget that not all plagues are standard viruses or bacteria! (malaria and TB are notable there)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #787
Flyndaran
Untagged

In a way, the worst of the worst could be prions with decades long incubation.
Locals may have evolved variant brain protein genes, like some real world peoples, that give partial to total immunity.

The Mad Lands, a place of potential riches but often leads to insanity and death.
Many diseases aren't infectious from human to human but require an outside vector.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #788
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
I'd rather put it in Quantum 3 and have Reich-5 running around; can't let them get their claws on a True Hitler though, so I'd have the last 20 years shake out differently and put different faces in charge in Germany. After all, it's not an Echo, it's in Quantum 6, and all the major players are kind of unpleasant to Centrum - why would they invest effort in a world like this?

Not terribly useful in a bog-standard I-cops campaign I'd think, since Infinity would probably be willing to use a lot of force to nip this Reich in the bud. Could be a lot of fun in a campaign where players are not Infinity employees though...I can imagine Homeline USA, Homeline France, and Merlin-1's CIA all having plans for this place if they find it first...
Good point. And Q3 promotes weirdness to liven up the setting. What was the title of that vampire story of Tolstoy's that was set in the Caucasus mountains?

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-16-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 AM   #789
patchwork

Alternatively...we don't have a lot of information on Centrum, but the AE2 writeup implies their Russia and China are still hellish places largely uncontrolled. Suppose this world...I'm gonna call it Wilson-1...is found, not by Centrum, but by the last Russian and Chinese nationalist types fleeing Centrum? They could be an interesting wrinkle...
Old 01-17-2015, 04:51 AM   #790
patchwork

Actually....it's a major world-changer, but what happens when Reich-5 DOES find a True Hitler? Obviously they spirit him away....leaving a WWII where Hitler just inexplicably vanishes without a trace at some point...while the Armanen boys begin preparing the Fuhrer for 1995 (which, even in Reich-5, surely has some things the old man would find shocking or abhorrent...I'm not seeing this go smoothly even BEFORE Infinity blunders into Hitler-Enigma...

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited