Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #11
Eric Funk

Default Re: Star Wars force powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
Did anybody already convert force powers to GURPS? How would you handle lightsaber combat including blaster bolt deflection/redirection? And enhanced speed/jumping?
I suggest reading up on Parry Missile Weapons skill B212 (note you need to calculate the parry /from/ this skill...)

There are a few listed force swords on UTp.19 and you can look up scaling weapons and combi weapons. (low-tech companion 2 p. 17,21, gunfu p. 38 )

Note that if you GM that attuning to one's saber allows the user access to higher levels of force ability while they wield it, it can stack with innate psi powers (POWERS 107). (buy as psi talent with gadget limitations B116, in addition to normal talent one can use without it...)
Old 05-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Note reflecting blaster bolts is something you'll need to work out for yourself, as nothing in GURPS quite matches. My own inclination would be that you take a penalty to your Parry - perhaps simply -1, to match Aggressive Parry, although my own inclination would be -2 - and, if successful, you automatically get a free attack against any foe; this attack uses the higher of DX and Innate Attack, and should probably be at around -4 or so to hit, in addition to the penalty for Range to the target, and any relevant penalties for striking a foe to the Side or Rear, should the character opt to do so (and with no Acc bonus, of course). Characters who specialize in fighting foes with blasters, such as those who favor the Soresu form, would likely use Techniques to buy off the penalties, and possibly even invest in Innate Attack. Damage would be as for the original blaster bolt, but with 1/2D and Max reduced for how far the bolt traveled before being Parried.
How about maybe using similar rules from agressive parry?
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #13
zoncxs

Search for Psi-Wars. Mailanka has been working on a Star Wars setting in GURPS for years.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #14
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
How about maybe using similar rules from agressive parry?
I mean, that's largely what I suggested, but with the damage penalty (it's thrust at -2/die) exchanged for a skill penalty (I suggested -4, which matches up with -2/die, although that's actually a coincidence - I forgot Aggressive Parry had a damage penalty, and just thought "-4 for a free attack feels right"), as Star Wars generally doesn't depict blaster bolts as being weakened by being deflected. If you prefer to have the bolt be weakened, that could be an option - perhaps -2/die, like Aggressive Parry. In theory this could get ridiculous, like an 8d force sword imposing the equivalent of -20d damage on a 35d attack, but parrying a 35d blaster bolt is arguably kind of ridiculous already - using Spaceships, that's around a 3 MJ weapon, or a Major Battery on an SM+4 vehicle. If we assume subtracting 8d (28 points) worth of damage is the limit to what an 8d force sword could do, that means you can deflect blaster bolts up to 14d (roughly 300 kJ), which would be a weapon roughly 10x the weight of a rifle and thus likely an emplaced/mounted weapon (the Semi-Portable Blaster in UT is only 12d)... which seems like it may be about right, honestly (maybe a little on the large side, but acceptable). Exactly what happens if you attempt to Parry too powerful of a blast is up to the GM.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:12 AM   #15
Gnome

Here's what I came up with for a game about seven or eight years ago. It worked well as a set of templates and abilities for that campaign. The aim was not to be perfectly true to cannon, but to make something fun and easy to play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzpdxl374r...lates.pdf?dl=0\

EDIT: Just to be clear, at the time I was watching Clone Wars but hadn't seen any of the most recent films.

Last edited by Gnome; 05-24-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:09 AM   #16
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Here's what I came up with for a game about seven or eight years ago. It worked well as a set of templates and abilities for that campaign. The aim was not to be perfectly true to cannon, but to make something fun and easy to play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzpdxl374r...lates.pdf?dl=0\

EDIT: Just to be clear, at the time I was watching Clone Wars but hadn't seen any of the most recent films.
Thank you very much, the templates look great! As I only play in the EU, I ignore the recent movies anyways, so it fits perfectly.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:14 AM   #17
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Permit me to link my Star Wars conversion, including my takes on the various lightsaber forms, and my takes on various Force powers (using the Psionic Powers framework, easily adjusted to use the Sorcery framework).
Extremely helpful, thank you very much! I dread creating sensible powers myself as my grasp of the more complex mechanics of GURPS are still amateurish.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jedi, star wars