Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #81
Plane

Default Re: should there actually be "indestructible" weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
If I pay points for an Innate Attack I certainly expect it to function as I bought it and that it is not able to be taken from me, suppressed or broken with out a commiserate outlay of points by my opponent(s) for the ability to do so.
or if you got some kinda gadget discount

I guess just looking for gadget complexity like the diff between "I wear a SM-4 backpack with 10 HP which allows me to create an indestructible Melee-Cutting weapon" vs "I'm carring an SM-4 sword with 10 HP which does a melee-cutting"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:44 PM   #82
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
or if you got some kinda gadget discount

I guess just looking for gadget complexity like the diff between "I wear a SM-4 backpack with 10 HP which allows me to create an indestructible Melee-Cutting weapon" vs "I'm carring an SM-4 sword with 10 HP which does a melee-cutting"
What do you think is unfair about the indestructible force field of the Force sword as presented in Basic and UT? How do you see it unbalancing things in a game?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #83
Aldric

Quote:
What do you think is unfair about the indestructible force field of the Force sword as presented in Basic and UT? How do you see it unbalancing things in a game?
Clever players will always find a way to throw a wrench in your works.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #84
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
In theory, you could create an impenetrable barrier by taking a bunch of force swords and arranging them into such, with each having its hilt behind the beams of other ones. Particularly if you make the beam thinner than the projector (I suggested something pencil-thick upthread), this is going to be difficult to arrange, but a player with enough time on their hands might come up with such an arrangement. You'd also need to have some way to secure the hilts, as otherwise as soon as something hits one of the blades, its hilt will get shifted into one of the blades protecting it (destroying the hilt), and indeed I suspect any arrangement that allowed this would be complex enough that hitting it anywhere would basically cause all the blades to shift (as they each strike each other), causing the whole thing to fall apart.

I actually considered something like this as a problem when thinking up the KN blades (force swords) of my Harpyias setting. Initially, my solution was that having them densely packed together meant any disruption of one (say, from deflecting a blaster bolt) would cause the others to get disrupted as well, and this would actually cause a cascade that rendered the whole thing increasingly unstable until one of more of the blades suffered a catastrophic failure (the emitter exploding), which could in turn result in further such failures, destroying the "shield" at a minimum and likely severely damaging whatever it was meant to protect. Thanks in part to this thread, I've instead decided that the nebulous shields used to protect vehicles and the KN blades are actually variations on the same technology (I always intended the blades to be destructible, in no small part because that's part of what makes the color choices different, although I haven't yet decided how I want this to work; probably something based on "The Broken Blade").
Old 01-27-2022, 12:09 PM   #85
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
That does not answer the question I asked.

Clever players therefore do not need an unbreakable blade to throw a wrench in things. So what is unfair about having such an item in a game?
Old 01-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #86
David Johnston2

Quote:
I do not believe any player is clever enough to exploit the distinction between "indestructible" and "indestructible by any available power but theoretically destroyable by Zeus."

Last edited by David Johnston2; 01-27-2022 at 01:46 PM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #87
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I do not believe any player is clever enough to exploit the distinction between "indestructible" and "indestructible by any available power" but theoretically destroyable by Zeus.
I suppose it depends on if you're throwing your characters up against Zeus. Admit it - Kratos with a lightsaber (red, obviously) would have been awesome.

More seriously, yeah, indestructible vs nearly-indestructible is generally a purely academic distinction.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #88
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I suppose it depends on if you're throwing your characters up against Zeus. Admit it - Kratos with a lightsaber (red, obviously) would have been awesome.

More seriously, yeah, indestructible vs nearly-indestructible is generally a purely academic distinction.
"indestructable" only applies for as long as the emmiter is whole, the switch is on, and there is still juice in the battery. This seems to me to be a non-issue.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #89
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
In theory, you could create an impenetrable barrier by taking a bunch of force swords and arranging them into such
Indestructible does not mean impenetrable, it just means that if an attack passed through the barrier, the barrier would still be intact afterward.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:41 AM   #90
Plane

Quote:
"indestructable" only applies for as long as the emmiter is whole, the switch is on, and there is still juice in the battery. This seems to me to be a non-issue.
You could arrange it so that the blade of the 2nd sword provides cover in front of the handle of the first sword. Or just design it so they're all pointing lengthwise (handle is behind blade) and you rely on the diameter of the force sword to create a surface area of blockage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Indestructible does not mean impenetrable, it just means that if an attack passed through the barrier, the barrier would still be intact afterward.
I guess in theory even if an object had either infinite HP or infinite DR (since cover DR is calculated using both) it wouldn't provide cover to a cosmic "ignores DR" attack that lacked cosmic:defensive

Though I've never liked ignores DR being cosmic since that's already the highest tier of Armor Divisor
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannot be broken, cannot break, force sword, rapid fire, ultra-tech