Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #351
Anthony

Default Re: Art for games

Hm. I think the 'pervert' reputation has more to do with the fact that many of the standard models appear underaged than with the fact that they're scantily clad.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #352
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Hm. I think the 'pervert' reputation has more to do with the fact that many of the standard models appear underaged than with the fact that they're scantily clad.
Around here, yeah. But, I've made it a point to foster that here. However, I will point out that I neither foster, nor endorse, pedophilia. What I foster around here would be "ephebophilia" as all of the models I attempt to render should obviously be in, or past, puberty.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #353
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
#1. Not interested in sharing the copyright with SJGames.
You won't share any copyrights unless you explicitly state so, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Tommi_Kovala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #354
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Kovala
You won't share any copyrights unless you explicitly state so, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Um... actually, if you've agreed to the forum rules you've given up some rights. The terms are fairly typical for bulletin boards.

Truth is, if you want to use something commercially, you should avoid posting it publicly.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #355
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Um... actually, if you've agreed to the forum rules you've given up some rights. The terms are fairly typical for bulletin boards.
I've taken some lectures on copyright for artists, and the issue came up a couple of times. In practice, rules like these are not really applied beyond the "compilation" purpose of the online communities.
Quote:
Truth is, if you want to use something commercially, you should avoid posting it publicly.
The owner of a work has all rights to use it. Of course, by showing it publicly you increase the odds of someone taking it without permission, but they're the evildoers, not you.
Edit: Of course, none of this applies to this thread, since no works are posted, just links to them hosted off the forum.

Last edited by Tommi_Kovala; 11-25-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #356
Anthony

Quote:
I've taken some lectures on copyright for artists, and the issue came up a couple of times. In practice, rules like these are not really applied beyond the "compilation" purpose of the online communities.
It probably also protects SJG from 'You stole my idea!' lawsuits. It doesn't look like SJG is even trying to get anything more.
Quote:
The owner of a work has all rights to use it. Of course, by showing it publicly you increase the odds of someone taking it without permission, but they're the evildoers, not you.
More importantly, you can't sell things like 'first publication rights' if you've already self-published on the internet.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #357
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

I operate under the assumption that since I'm posting my pictures here, SJGames has first right to make use of them. It isn't terribly relevant since if I do actually do anything with them, it would probably be an article for Pyramid or something like that.

But, since I have plans for the other character (which don't, directly, involve GURPS or SJGames) I don't plan on posting them here.

Paul has gone over this a few times in the past . . . usually because of something I've said. I'll have to learn to keep my mouth shut.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #358
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
I operate under the assumption that since I'm posting my pictures here, SJGames has first right to make use of them.
Well, like I wrote, you're not posting any pics here, just links to them. Hardly any problem there.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #359
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

More than anything else I operate under this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules, section G
You should always realize that if you post something on this system, a member of the press may see and quote it, and the press has every right to do so. You may add Please Do Not Quote to your message, but if a reporter disregards your wishes, you have no recourse against us, or against the impolite reporter. When you post something in a public conference here, you are speaking in a public place.
While, yes, a good reporter would realize that a vast majority of the things posted here on the SJGames fora are not posted by SJGames, or anyone directly related to them, the types of reporters that tend to report on RPGs don't usually do a lot of research in my experience.
Before I post a picture, I usually ask: "Do I want this to be associated with SJGames?" For a lot of my pictures, the answer is "yes."
I, personally, doubt that SJGames wants any of my pictures. But, should they, I'm fairly certain that I'd get a PM or email asking "Hey, Mark, can you send us a BMP, TIFF, TGA or PNG of picture X to use? And while you're at it, can you put some clothes on her?"
I'm not worried that anyone from SJGames would ever, even remotely, try to do something underhanded to one of us fora junkies. I'm more worried that someone like Jack Thompson would jump in here and follow a link to a naked girl and assume that GURPS was just another FATAL.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #360
Tommi_Kovala

Yeah, I got that. I have to add, though, that it would take intentional trickery to directly associate players' artwork with what the game officially represents. If someone were out looking for an excuse to brand GURPS as another FATAL, they wouldn't bother with trivial things like truth.

Tags
art