Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #341
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn
I think Scarlet either needs to get a deeper tint to the lenses of her glasses, or lose the glasses entirely.
Scarlet's codename got changed to "Joule" by the group when I was away, after the post had been made.
I'll see about darkening the lenses when I get home and have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective_Restraint
Of everything she's wearing, you asked to remove the glasses ? How disapointing...
Ironically, when I showed the picture to the other players they commented that she'd look better with a jacket, no top and Godiva-style hair.
After doing a quick render with a jacket and different hair, the women in the group decided that the jacket and the original hair were fine, as was no top.
One of them said that the way she was posed made it look like the jacket was normally shut, but when she arched her back and arms the buttons gave out. So, in the team picture I'm doing, she's got the jacket closed.

When I showed the picture of Imp, after the discussion about Scarlet, I pointed out that she was also dynamically posed and asked if I should do one without her armor on.

The answer from my group was "Yes, because you're a pervert."

Don't worry, those pictures won't get posted.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #342
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Have I mentioned recently how much I hate having to convert to JPG?

Here's an update for Joule with the darker glasses. They're almost too dark for my liking. I liked being able to see her eyes.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #343
Tommi_Kovala

Power source for Great White, a giant humanoid robot in a GURPS superhero game. I need to draw the fella himself one day.
Tommi_Kovala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 AM   #344
Tommi_Kovala

Cormorant Island, a plague colony off the Ridgeland coast.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #345
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Here's Akira McKenna. It was a request from a friend. I just finished Kelly Stane, an NPC in my GURPS Fallout game.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 11-22-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: To add a picture without re-posting.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #346
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Kovala
Power source for Great White, a giant humanoid robot in a GURPS superhero game. I need to draw the fella himself one day.
I like the style, it looks professional. Maybe you will speak about the technique you used here? I guess it is digital but still, only guessing is very vague.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #347
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
I like the style, it looks professional. Maybe you will speak about the technique you used here? I guess it is digital but still, only guessing is very vague.
Right, I could be more helpful. :)
I started with a scanned pencil sketch, then used Photoshop's vector tools to trace over it. It's a matter of taste whether you prefer the the tools in PS, Illustrator or even Flash.
In vector drawings, rhythm is the usual Achilles heel since the strokes tend to be uniform in width and getting a feeling of tension in the curves takes conscious effort. I get around this by not using strokes at all. I first draw a dark silhouette over the form, then trace the lighter areas. The strokes are the areas left dark, so line width can be eyeballed at will.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #348
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
When I showed the picture of Imp, after the discussion about Scarlet, I pointed out that she was also dynamically posed and asked if I should do one without her armor on.

From the way you put it, it's almost as if you have bardic immunity in things related to perv-ness. :D
Old 11-23-2008, 01:09 AM   #349
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
Here's an update for Joule with the darker glasses. They're almost too dark for my liking. I liked being able to see her eyes.
I liked more the earlier version, the one with the transparent glasses.

Quote:
Sure. But if our fondness for female beauty makes us "perverts", I wonder who escapes from that! :^)

Quote:
I started with a scanned pencil sketch, then used Photoshop's vector tools to trace over it. (...)
Thank you very much for the explanation. I started to think more and more about the attractive and usefulness of vector drawing the last summer. Until now I was discarding it because I learnt about in a marketing context not much related to creative illustration.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 11-23-2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typos...
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #350
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
From the way you put it, it's almost as if you have bardic immunity in things related to perv-ness. :D
In a way. Most people, who know me, expect me to say the more obvious statements that they're all thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
Sure. But if our fondness for female beauty makes us "perverts", I wonder who escapes from that! :^)
It seems like takes non-Americans to think that way. Most of the non-gamers (and, honestly, a lot of the gamer Americans) I've run into still have a thoroughly Puritan view of sex and beauty. However, once I get out of America* the perspective shifts and, suddenly, they can see what I was going for as opposed to the fact that someone's naked in a picture. Iím not saying all Americans are this way, but a large percentage of the ones Iíve encountered.

I have a picture that will never get posted here for two, uh, three, reasons.

#1. Not interested in sharing the copyright with SJGames.
#2. Though you canít see any details, she is completely naked and uncovered (sheís pretty much in the same pose as Joule).
#3. Photobucket had a problem with several of my pictures recently; I donít even know which ones they were since I didnít have a direct inventory of what I had posted.

-----
*American's living abroad, or having lived abroad, also tend to be much less "stuffy."

Tags
art