Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
jhite

Default DESIGN HELP: Sentient Implants

Hello, everyone!

I'm fleshing out a cyberpunk setting, and need some help figuring out an aspect of it.

I'm envisioning a kind of cybernetic implant which incorporates sentient extraterrestrial organic material. I want the implants' thoughts to be able to "bleed" into the user/host's thoughts, and to potentially threaten to overpower them (given enough time, numerous implants, or similar).

My direct inspiration is Carnage: Family Feud, a Spider-Man/Iron Man crossover story in which the Carnage symbiote is incorporated into rip-off Stark tech and begins turning on its users/hosts. (I highly recommend the comic)

So, I turn to you, dear forum. How would you make this work? How would you make a sentient implant? More importantly, how would you handle a PC acquiring one, since I want them to have the option of experiencing the horror first-hand.
jhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: DESIGN HELP: Sentient Implants

In your game, do you use points for cybertech, or is it "just gear" that only costs money?

If I were building the implant for a PC, I'd likely build it as an Ally. (It's sentient, so Ally instead of Gadget.) And since I'm just evil that way, as a GM I'd probably present the implant exactly like that to a PC, somehow omitting the abilities having to do with slowly taking over his mind...

You might simply give the implants some telepathy powers for the mental communication and bleed. If it takes several implants to take over the PC, then let them form a psi gestalt, each contributing points toward the Mind Control power. (Say, each implant counts for 10 points, so it takes five of them to actually have the power. Or whatever number you like.) You might also just give any implant Mind Control, start off at a penalty, and have additional implants give a bonus to the Mind Control Quick Contest.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

The spirit corruption of Thaumatology might be an interesting take.
The alien gives abilities, but using them corrupts the host until the alien takes over completely.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If I were building the implant for a PC, I'd likely build it as an Ally. (It's sentient, so Ally instead of Gadget.) And since I'm just evil that way, as a GM I'd probably present the implant exactly like that to a PC, somehow omitting the abilities having to do with slowly taking over his mind...
Agreed. See UT pg.216 for information on sentient implants as Allies. It would normally be Always Available, but you could make it occassionally act as an Enemy - either a Watcher or (if it's a Puppeteer) a Rival. See this thread for a discussion of having a single character be both an Ally/Patron and an Enemy.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
jhite

Wow, a lot of good ideas coming together here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
In your game, do you use points for cybertech, or is it "just gear" that only costs money?
I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I feel like there's pros and cons to both options.

For example, my thoughts on purchased implants, so far:
The pro of the money option seems to be that PCs won't have to sink dozens of CP just to get new (and potentially temporary) tech if the situation arises, and won't lose dozens of CP if something happens to that particular telescopic eye or whatever. The con of the money option, as I see it, is trying to figure out what constitutes a balanced price for something that duplicates Advantages. Just how much money is fair for +5 Striking ST, or Enhanced Move I? I guess the question becomes what's the "exchange rate" between CP and $.

My biggest fear about making these sentient implants cost CP is that, depending on the exact build, these little pieces of gear could be fairly powerful entities. With the level of secrecy this kind of plot demands, and with how much of it actually hurts the PCs without their knowledge, it seems harsh to make them dump bunches of points into their "Ally" robo-arm. This is even more true when you consider that, at the end of the story arc, any sane PC will want to remove their "friendly" implants as soon as possible! I mean, I don't want them to just sacrifice CP in the service of plot - or am I missing something?

Comments and suggestions definitely welcome, either about what's the better option, or about the finer points of both choices.

Quote:
If it takes several implants to take over the PC, then let them form a psi gestalt, each contributing points toward the Mind Control power...You might also just give any implant Mind Control, start off at a penalty, and have additional implants give a bonus to the Mind Control Quick Contest.
This might be just the sort of thing I had in mind, coupled with Telesend or something similar. I'm thinking that the implants can give the user suggestions or impulses before exerting actual control. Nothing serious at first, but maybe just a brief desire to stab an ally, or an impression that these implants are awesome and the character should get more soon...Little things that can shift from impressions, to impulses, and eventually to commands if the user can't break free soon enough.

As for the other comments, I don't have Thaumatology or Ultratech right now, but at least now I know a place to look for more ideas.

Last edited by jhite; 02-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.
jhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyberpunk, design, implant