Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #41
tessimw

Default Re: The Politics of Transhumanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Export the testing to small countries with lax human rights laws/enforcement.
Indeed, some countries may allow and even encourage such experimentations as a matter of policy in order to leapfrog into the fifth wave. I could see several of the TSA countries being willing to push that envelope. And there has to be some reason besides money (and the fact that bugs the Chinese) that the Red Duncanites tolerate Omokage Labs. It is even possible that an evolutionary quantum leap in human intelligences is worth the sacrifice, after all evolution is far more cruel, taking far longer for more minimal gains. Transhumanism is as much about the improvement of the species as it is about the improvement of the individual, so those societies that place a high value on the wellbeing of the individual may find themselves falling behind those who put a higher value on the wellbeing of the group and ‘unethical’ testing may not be so cut and dried. This is getting wonderfully grey…

Matthew
tessimw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #42
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
If it is flawed, you can generally rewind the thing and fix it. And try again.

You can also test lots of stuff that doesn't touch the brain by editing those ghosts to be non-sapient and non-sentient.
This assumes the simulation is perfect. Good, I'll buy good, perfect is right out.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #43
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This assumes the simulation is perfect. Good, I'll buy good, perfect is right out.
It's good enough to make a cumputer-run mind indistinguishable from a wetbrain-run one. Who are you doubting?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #44
David Johnston2

Quote:
Why? It's a scientific question,
It most certainly is not a scientific question. Science can can answer "why and how" questions. It can't answer "Is this too cruel to be inflicted on a baby" or balance the benefits against that question.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #45
Astromancer

Quote:
It's good enough to make a cumputer-run mind indistinguishable from a wetbrain-run one. Who are you doubting?
Not who, what. I doubt both the possiblity of perfectly modelling the world, even though I value and respect the uses of high quality models of the world. I also doubt the ability of any artifact to perfectly achieve what is possible. I have no issue with engineering per se, I am very much aware of the benefits of technology to me personally and to society in general. I think that sophistocated models can clue us in to many things and bring engineering to greater heights. I just don't think perfect models are possible, if for no other reason than you can't model chance.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #46
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It most certainly is not a scientific question. Science can can answer "why and how" questions. It can't answer "Is this too cruel to be inflicted on a baby" or balance the benefits against that question.
Agreed, morality can be informed by science and fact, but morality can't be a science or based on scientific princepals.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #47
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Not who, what. I doubt both the possiblity of perfectly modelling the world, even though I value and respect the uses of high quality models of the world. I also doubt the ability of any artifact to perfectly achieve what is possible. I have no issue with engineering per se, I am very much aware of the benefits of technology to me personally and to society in general. I think that sophistocated models can clue us in to many things and bring engineering to greater heights. I just don't think perfect models are possible, if for no other reason than you can't model chance.
So are you saying that you doubt THS has Ghosts, despite canon info?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
So are you saying that you doubt THS has Ghosts, despite canon info?
Ghosts don't have to predict completely unknown environmental variables and they aren't modeling a system that doesn't exist in the real world.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #49
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Ghosts don't have to predict completely unknown environmental variables and they aren't modeling a system that doesn't exist in the real world.
1. That's why I said we'll need more powerful computers than the typical 'robot brain sized' ones. With some extra research and extra runs for the environmental factors.
2. It doesn't matter if what they model exists in in the real world. What's important is that they model something which is the result of something which existed. After all, if you can ghost a brain and let it learn and grow up and all, then at some point you're modelling something which doesn't exist (but could exist!).
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
1. That's why I said we'll need more powerful computers than the typical 'robot brain sized' ones. With some extra research and extra runs for the environmental factors.
You can't include variables that you don't even know exist in the first place.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote