Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: I'm starting to hate THE WITCHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I can certainly understand the justification behind wanting Cosmic, but unless you disallow No Wounding attacks with Double Knockback, it's going to seem really weird when the guy with 20d worth of knockback without wounding pays only [25] for it (10d cr with dkb, nbt, nw), while the guy with 4d cr that also deals 20d worth of knockback pays [96] for that (4d cr with quintuple knockback).
That is a fair assessment, yeah.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:10 AM   #22
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hi Folks,
As I watch Season 1 yet again so I can have continuity between season 1 and season 2 - I started to pay more attention as a GM watching a movie instead of just enjoying it.

Watching the Witcher knock back the Striga some at least 4 to 6 yards down a hall way made me think of the spell he was using as some sort of telekinetic blow or as a spell that inflicts double knock back damage. The thing is, the Striga seems to have supernatural strength, which means that a knockback type effect would have be something pretty horrendous to do it. Call it ST 16 just for giggles, we'd have to do 14 points of damage to knock it back 1 hex. To knock it back 4 to 6 hexes, we'd have to do 4 x 14/2 or 28 points of knockback (doubled) or up as much as 42 points.

Worst case scenario, we'd have to do 42 points, which is an average of 12 dice of damage. WOWSA.

Now I'm going to be paying more attention to portraying THE WITCHER with GURPS than I will be watching the first season.

CURSE YOU GURPS!

;)
Strength which is disproportionate to mass can be bought as not affecting knockback distance.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:50 AM   #23
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You've gotten to -50% here, you can get to a full -80% via B110's -30% for DR multiplier 2.

DR multipliers are a great complement for No Wounding discounts unless you happen to be using that No Wounding attack to carry a Side Effect in which case having some Penetrating Damage that doesn't cause injury has a purpose (penalizing the HT roll)

You can even get -70% for a DR multiplier 10 (a bigger discount than No Wounding -50%) if you wanted to apply further enhancements, though I'm not sure what that would be.
Note that using an Armour Divisor limitation on something that has No Wounding and carries no linked or follow-up effect or anything else that is triggered by a penetrating hit that does no injury, you are probably going to run afoul of the principle that a limitation that doesn't actually limit the power should be worth nothing.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #24
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Note that using an Armour Divisor limitation on something that has No Wounding and carries no linked or follow-up effect or anything else that is triggered by a penetrating hit that does no injury, you are probably going to run afoul of the principle that a limitation that doesn't actually limit the power should be worth nothing.
Don't think of it as adding DR Multiplier -90% to No Wounding, instead think of it as adding No Wounding to DR Multiplier -90%

otherwise, if your focus was knockback and you didn't mind inflicting less damage, you'd only ever take the -90% instead of the -50%
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #25
Opellulo

OR you can instead reverse the question and ponder on how realistic are the knockback rules in GURPS in the first place...
Old 12-20-2021, 11:03 PM   #26
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
OR you can instead reverse the question and ponder on how realistic are the knockback rules in GURPS in the first place...
I'd definitely like it to be based on "HP as mass" (like collisions) with some kind of option to use ST to resist it when aware of the attack.

Someone with high ST who buys down HP (less mass) who is unaware of a shove probably shouldn't be harder to shove around.

Maybe it could work like a "ST-based parry" you would use against grappling: a roll at ST-4 if you're unaware or can't defend, but a ST-based defence otherwise?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote