Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
PTTG

Default Verb-Noun Magic variant design discussion.

I'm working on a magic ruleset for a one-off game. Some of these rules are spoilers, so keep that in mind if I've ever met you in person.

As in standard syntactic magic, workings are conjured by speaking a verb and at least one relevant noun. The specifics are worked into the intonation and subtle gestures of the caster.

In rule terms, players would roll against the average of all word skills they use, and Magery (Word Magic) adds. Any working costs 2 FP... as far as the players know. In fact, there is a hidden stat similar to distortion in threshold-limited magic. PCs never know what their distortion count is, and they should not know that distortion even exists until after they start suffering effects!

Distortion tally from a working is the calculated FP cost of the spell. Nothing in specific gives a skill penalty- but every 5? FP a spell would cost incurs a cumulative -1 penalty. A failure, in addition to not producing the desired effect, doubles the distortion tally cost of the working... All in all, attempting Big Things is not a good idea.

Players start with a distortion cap of some large value- perhaps 50- but distortion only decreases by 1 point every 24 hours, and the timer is reset every time you cast, even if your skill allows you to cast a spell for free!

Distortion effects use a custom table and are designed to cause complicated but workable problems. For instance, instead of losing your magery, you gain the limitation (Other people dispel my workings on sight), causing your flying spell to fail as soon as someone sees you...

Roll against the distortion table whenever you cast or are the target of a spell whenever you are above your tally.

Words:
Mind (human and animal minds, thoughts, and emotion/communication)
Sensation (Illusion, sound, and light, plus parts of the otherwise laughable food domain)
Phlogiston (Effectively, air and fire domains, but without overlap from weather and light)
Mineral (Earth domain and metal)
Body (Animal bodies, body control, but no mind)
Plant (yeah)
Craft (Machines and artifacts)
Energy (Kinetic, electric, chemical, magnetic, and spiritual, does not burn directly)
Words (Magic effects)
Water (Water and weather as weather is largely a phenomenon of atmospheric water. Ice is uneasily split between water and mineral)
Cosmos (In a space-time sense, grants access to gate and time control spells)

Perceive
Command (Puppetting someone or something is impossible without imbuing it with Energy, ordering requires a Mind)
Summon (Creates a noun in a crude, unshaped way)
Shape (Gross and fine changes within a noun)
Strengthen (Includes the concept of growing)
Protect
Restore (repairing damage, exhaustion, and injury)
Undo (Weakening and destroying both)
Move
Transform (changes involving multiple nouns)

Going to need to adjust the skill system. I'd like to make it easy to specialize narrowly in a noun OR verb. That is to say, you could be a water mage or a movement mage for cheap, but working with many nouns and many verbs would be difficult. Still needs tweaking. Water-18, Phlogiston-6, and all verbs at 10 gives a flat Move Water-14, Strengthen Phlogiston-8, and Transform Water into Phlogiston-11... possibly reasonable.

Last edited by PTTG; 07-02-2015 at 12:29 AM.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Verb-Noun Magic variant design discussion.

Looks pretty cool but I don't see a question.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:29 AM   #3
DangerousThing

I have one suggestion. Unless these are the first mages in the world or mages are very rare and secretive and the characters have no formal training, do not keep the distortion a secret. It should be well know among mages that it exists.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I have one suggestion. Unless these are the first mages in the world or mages are very rare and secretive and the characters have no formal training, do not keep the distortion a secret. It should be well know among mages that it exists.
Another possibility is that this is a newly discovered magic that seems to be a Super system.
That has the advantage of the players expecting the other shoe to drop.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
PTTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Indeed, these are the first mages in the world and it is early in their careers. It will be somewhat paranoia-esque in that PCs will not do the wisest thing, but perhaps the more interesting ones.

Last edited by PTTG; 07-02-2015 at 10:44 AM.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Looks pretty cool but I don't see a question.
The title of the thread is "Verb-Noun Magic variant design discussion.". It looks like a "what do you all think?" sort of situation to me.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, magic, syntactic magic