Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
Mehman

Default Coinage Help

I'm trying to find the weight for an electrum coin worth $200 using DF Treasures 1 and Pyramid 3/119 After the End II. I'm truly stumped. (My wife is stumped, too, so I know I'm in trouble.)

What I'm looking for is the weight in ounces to convert to pounds to find the count/pound and also figure out the diameter of the coin. Ideally, I'd like to know how to figure out the coin's composition, too. (It's a 1:1 Au:Ag electrum, nothing fancy.)

The example given in 3/119 After the End II on p 36 is helpful, but I don't know the final weight of the coin. All I know is that I need an electrum coin worth $200.

If someone can help, I'm obviously not great at math - simple terms please.

(I tried searching the forums, but my search-fu failed me.)
Mehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Coinage Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
I'm trying to find the weight for an electrum coin worth $200 using DF Treasures 1 and Pyramid 3/119 After the End II. I'm truly stumped. (My wife is stumped, too, so I know I'm in trouble.)

What I'm looking for is the weight in ounces to convert to pounds to find the count/pound and also figure out the diameter of the coin. Ideally, I'd like to know how to figure out the coin's composition, too. (It's a 1:1 Au:Ag electrum, nothing fancy.)

The example given in 3/119 After the End II on p 36 is helpful, but I don't know the final weight of the coin. All I know is that I need an electrum coin worth $200.

If someone can help, I'm obviously not great at math - simple terms please.

(I tried searching the forums, but my search-fu failed me.)
DF Treasures 1 says 50 coins to the pound if each are worth $200.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
Mehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
DF Treasures 1 says 50 coins to the pound if each are worth $200.
I'll use that. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
I'll use that. Thanks!
I think it's like $210, but it's close enough.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:43 PM   #5
Varyon

For a coinage system I came up with some time ago, I actually worked out how much each US coin would be worth if made of each of the various materials I intended to use (copper, silver, igneum, electrum, crown gold, pure gold, and finally platinum). Now, I changed the worth of most of the metals, but if I set electrum to the same $10,500/lb as DF (the average between silver's $1,000/lb and gold's $20,000/lb), I see a penny-sized coin would be worth $135, while a nickel-sized one would be worth $269. So, your $200 electrum coin is right between a penny and a nickel in size. There would be 52.5 such coins to the pound.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
Mehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
For a coinage system I came up with some time ago, I actually worked out how much each US coin would be worth if made of each of the various materials I intended to use (copper, silver, igneum, electrum, crown gold, pure gold, and finally platinum). Now, I changed the worth of most of the metals, but if I set electrum to the same $10,500/lb as DF (the average between silver's $1,000/lb and gold's $20,000/lb), I see a penny-sized coin would be worth $135, while a nickel-sized one would be worth $269. So, your $200 electrum coin is right between a penny and a nickel in size. There would be 52.5 such coins to the pound.
Thanks for the information! That's a neat idea. I'd somehow forgotten about coingold, so thanks for reminding me!

My mantra right now is: Making coinage is fun. Now to just repeat it a few hundred times a day!

Tags
coins, composition, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, weight