Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #131
pup67vargr

Default Re: [OOC] The Voyages of "The Hiawatha" [Hero Class] : GURPS Traveller

I share your penchant for reading rulebooks sometimes, doulos05. I didn't spend quite so long reading GURPS before I jumped in and tried it, though. And I disagree about the D&D rulebooks. I quite enjoy reading descriptions of spells and magic items in the rulebooks/modules from Third Party Publishers!

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-21-2011 at 08:05 AM.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #132
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
I share your penchant for reading rulebooks sometimes, doulos05. I didn't spend quite so long reading GURPS before I jumped in and tried it, though. And I disagree about the D&D rulebooks. I quite enjoy reading descriptions of spells and magic items in the rulebooks/modules from Third Party Publishers!
Ok, yes. Those were cool. I'm not sure why the D&D books didn't grab my attention like GURPS. I believe that at least part of that is my love of Sci Fi over Fantasy. But then again, I've been an avid reader of GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Magic.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #133
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
Ok, yes. Those were cool. I'm not sure why the D&D books didn't grab my attention like GURPS. I believe that at least part of that is my love of Sci Fi over Fantasy. But then again, I've been an avid reader of GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Magic.
The only thing I can surmise is that GURPS books are more about flavor and fun, and D&D stuff has a tendency to sometimes emphasize rules and game mechanics over the fun part. GURPS has had a surprisingly large influence on D&D over the years, however. I credit GURPS with pretty much the whole skill system in D&D. Of course, WotC had to water it down a lot to mesh it with their character class format.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #134
pup67vargr

doulos05, feel free to land the Hiawatha on Prometheus whenever you're ready. I liked the way you handled that on Ember. Make it as interesting as you like, just don't get carried away too much. I'm perfectly willing to let you borrow some creative control here, but I'm not giving you the keys to my GM Corvette just yet.
:-)

Last edited by pup67vargr; 09-01-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #135
doulos05

But I like Corvettes!

Seriously, I hope I can write something up today but I've been moving onto my friend's couch this week. At any rate, if MisterJuan wants to handle the landing sequence itself, I'll add the commo side afterwards.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #136
pup67vargr

That works. Have at it Mr.Juan, if the urge strikes. It was not my intention to imply that only doulos05 had these privileges. This has been a communal effort so far, and I like the result, so keep it up, everyone!

doulos05 - "moving onto your friend's couch" seems like you've been through some rough times lately perhaps? Bet you're glad that you at least have a friend who has an empty couch, though! I wish all the best for you throughout your present circumstances, regardless!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #137
pup67vargr

Here is a trial system for cargo. There is probably one in Far Trader, come to think of it, but for now, let's give my algorithm a shot and see what it gives us:

For finding cargo for the TSS Hiawatha to take from Prometheus onward, on their trip to Ninkhur Sagga [2222], the required throw will be 14-. Post that throw in the IC. On a success, make a second throw of 5d. Ten times that result will be the tonnage of the cargo. If the Hiawatha does not have sufficient space to take all of the cargo, then an additional throw of 12- will be required for the shipper to permit you to take less than the total shipment.

If there is additional cargo, it will most likely be bound for Agidda [1824], the next garden world along your route, but not necessarily. Make another throw. On a 8+ it is going to Agidda [1824]. On 5-7 it's going to Nusku [1822]. On 4- it's going to Ishimshulgi [2021]. Post this destination throw in the IC as well.

So up to four throws should be posted:
1. 14- for Cargo availability [if this isn't made, no other throws are necessary]
2. 5d [X10 tons] for size of cargo
3. 12- for permission to take less than a total shipment [this could also be a deal breaker if the cargo is larger than the space available on the Hiawatha]

and finally,
4. 3d for destination [ 8+ Agidda, 5-7 Nusku, 4- Ishimshulgi]

Last edited by pup67vargr; 09-03-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #138
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
Here is a trial system for cargo. There is probably one in Far Trader, come to think of it, but for now, let's give my algorithm a shot and see what it gives us:

For finding cargo for the TSS Hiawatha to take from Prometheus onward, on their trip to Ninkhur Sagga [2222], the required throw will be 14-. Post that throw in the IC. On a success, make a second throw of 5d. Ten times that result will be the tonnage of the cargo. If the Hiawatha does not have sufficient space to take all of the cargo, then an additional throw of 12- will be required for the shipper to permit you to take less than the total shipment.

If there is additional cargo, it will most likely be bound for Agidda [1824], the next garden world along your route, but not necessarily. Make another throw. On a 8+ it is going to Agidda [1824]. On 5-7 it's going to Nusku [1822]. On 4- it's going to Ishimshulgi [2021]. Post this destination throw in the IC as well.

So up to four throws should be posted:
1. 14- for Cargo availability [if this isn't made, no other throws are necessary]
2. 5d [X10 tons] for size of cargo
3. 12- for permission to take less than a total shipment [this could also be a deal breaker if the cargo is larger than the space available on the Hiawatha]

and finally,
4. 3d for destination [ 8+ Agidda, 5-7 Nusku, 4- Ishimshulgi]
This seems really simple, which is nice. I'd almost prefer that it be dependent upon my character's skill somehow, but I'm content with it being entirely random since, really, it's not like my guy's amazing Merchant skill will magically make people want to ship their stuff to other people in other star systems.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #139
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
This seems really simple, which is nice. I'd almost prefer that it be dependent upon my character's skill somehow, but I'm content with it being entirely random since, really, it's not like my guy's amazing Merchant skill will magically make people want to ship their stuff to other people in other star systems.
No, you're absolutely right! There should be an easy way to figure a merchants' skill into the equation. I thought of sme ways, just now, but they are overly complex and not really workable. So I'm open to suggestions.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #140
pup67vargr

You still watching, Dorin Thorha? And are there any other lurkers watching? Dorin, do you feel like you are learning the ins and outs of the default GURPS Traveller setting yet? Ready to give it a shot?