Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
Dalin

Default DFRPG Camp

I just ran the first day of this summer's first session of DFRPG camp at my school. Twelve kids, aged 10 to 14. Five of them were alums of our first camp last summer. The rest of them had never played DFRPG and were evenly divided between kids who have played some D&D and kids who have never played any TTRPGs.

We spent the morning going over the basics of role-playing and the game rules. We then divided into two tables with my colleague and me GMing for each group. We passed out a bunch of pregens from Delvers to Grow (all of the 125-point characters except for the Wrestler). They had a blast reading through the characters. We then did a round of character introductions.

After lunch, we got into the game in earnest. We ran a heavily modified version of "You All Meet at an Inn" by Matt Riggsby. Started with some light RP in the tavern with some quirky patrons. Then a belligerent guest who could be dealt with in a variety of ways. Then the zombie horde. Plenty of action for each character. Then down below for a quick finale requiring a lot of teamwork. (We rewrote that part of the adventure to fit our time and goals.) Everyone had a good time and seemed eager to return tomorrow.

Tomorrow we will teach them how to build characters using Delvers to Grow and run through some mini-scenarios. In the afternoon, our celebrity guest, Douglas Cole, will visit to regale them with the wisdom of a successful game publisher.

The highlight of the day for me was when one of the girls turned to me and said, "I like D&D, but it's so much harder to explain than GURPS." Woohoo!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camp, dfrpg, kids, new players