Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-28-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Spelljammer 5e, are you going to try it?

Myself, I'm budgeting for it. It's the kind of crazy setting I love.

What about you guys?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #2
SionEwig

Default Re: Spelljammer 5e, are you going to try it?

I seriously doubt it, unless I find it second hand for practically nothing. I loved the original Spelljammer and still have all of it. I just don't trust it not to have been seriously screwed up in the update.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:16 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

I'm waiting to see. I loved the original but am dubious of them getting it right. There seems to be something about mixing wildspace and astral space in the previews.

I'm also dubious because of what hey did with Eberron which mostly looked like change things randomly in the 5e corebook and then give no support afterward.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #4
The Colonel

Unlikely, but I do fondly recall the 2ED campaign where the DM used Spelljammer to knock off Babylon 5:
"Under the leadership of its final ruler, the Rock of Bral was a dream given form..."
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:36 AM   #5
ak_aramis

I've ordered it. won't know about running it until I've read it.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
MadWombat

I have had some sort of madness strike, as I am thinking of mixing SJ5e and Traveller. I would offer some ideas for critique but my notes are packed for an impending move.

Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
MadWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #7
Kallatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'm waiting to see. I loved the original but am dubious of them getting it right. There seems to be something about mixing wildspace and astral space in the previews.
This is my issue as well. From what I can tell (but won't really know until it comes out), it's a total reboot where they've replaced the crystal spheres and phlogiston transitive plane with spelljamming ships shifting into the astral plane when you're far enough away from the system. That reboot was hinted at in 4E manual of the planes, but they never got around to elaborating on it. Anyway, to me, that's a radical change, and pretty much invalidates all the previous adventures and novels of the setting.

Had I not played 2E Spelljammer, it wouldn't have mattered. But I did, so for reasons that can be summed up as "nostalgia", that's going to bother me and therefore cause me to unfairly bias my opinions on whatever new Spelljammer they come up with.

I've run many a D&D setting, including Spelljammer, using GURPS in the past, and would still do so if that why my players and I agreed to play in. I was therefore originally looking forward to buying it for the setting update from the 2E timeline to the 5E timeline, hoping it would have more "world building" material than 3 crystal spheres and the Rock of Bral. But if it's just rehashing and rebooting it into something totally new, I can just as easily use all my old 2E stuff for adapting to GURPS.

I'm secretly hoping that they come up with some in-setting advances in helm-tech/magic to explain it away. "We use to have to sail all the way to the crystal sphere, go through a gate, then make sure to never light a fire. But now, we can just shift to the astral long before reaching the sphere, and it's easier to get to other spheres because we're not stuck following the Flow". But I seriously doubt that's going to happen.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:48 PM   #8
Kallatari

Actually, for those who do get the 5E Spelljammer, I'd appreciate if you can post here to summarize any "big setting changes" they do make (e.g., confirming what happened to crystal spheres/Flow vs astral), or otherwise say if it's mainly the same. It might influence my decision to purchase it.

Edit: I don't particularly care about "game mechanic changes" (such as those relating from D&D 2E to D&D 5E). I'm more interested in the setting changes.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
URPS.

I'm secretly hoping that they come up with some in-setting advances in helm-tech/magic to explain it away. n.
They can explain away the helms for my druthers. "We're going to take away one of the PC's magic powers for a day in exchange for operating this plot device." was not a good idea to begin with. It led to otherwise superfluous npcs or strange variant helms.

I think I faked up some rules for Gurps where a helm was a single hex of Very High Mana and propulsion was based on how many FP the using mage could restore to himself every Turn. Suddenly getting up from a Helm required a roll v IQ+Magery to time getting your FP back before the Helm sucked it away again. The Helm also sucked away all energy that was used in an attempt at normal spellcasting while sitting in a Helm.

All that probably wasn't necessary. Helms are plot devices and the GM needs them to make hs planned stories work. As long as he doesn't punish PCs for helping him do that it should all work out fine.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #10
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWombat View Post
I have had some sort of madness strike, as I am thinking of mixing SJ5e and Traveller. I would offer some ideas for critique but my notes are packed for an impending move.
It's just crazy enough to work, or publicly humiliate you.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote