Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #351
Agemegos

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
One I remember is that until recently (comparatively) the British Government officially ceased to exist upon the death of the monarch and had to wait for the coronation to be resurrected.

If this still continued, that would be a interesting time for bureaucratic purges, eliminating old departments and siphoning their subsidies into new ones. And whatever.
How recently was that? It'd be pretty strange any time more recent than the Glorious Revolution. On the other hand some pretty strange things happen in theory in the Westminster system every time Parliament is dissolved ahead of an election. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caretaker_government

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #352
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
How recently was that? It'd be pretty strange any time more recent than the Glorious Revolution.
It changed with the Demise of the Crown Act 1901, which was backdated to the death of Queen Victoria.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #353
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So a government that routinely killed large programs every time there was a royal death? That's interesting.
That comes sorta up in the Traveller novel Agent of Imperium by Mark Miller.

Spoiler:  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #354
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It changed with the Demise of the Crown Act 1901, which was backdated to the death of Queen Victoria.
Freaky!

I have done a bit of following up. It turns out that the Succession to the Crown Act 1707 (i.e. in about the time frame you would expect) provided that people in office under the Crown should remain in office for six months after a demise of the Crown (unless sacked by the successor, their commission expired, etc.). That included, crucially, members of Parliament. The Demise of the Crown Act 1727 extended that to some dubious cases involving offices under the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall, and the Demise of the Crown Act 1901 removed the six-month limit for all offices (the six-month limit for members of Parliament was removed in 1878).

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #355
jason taylor

Quote:
How recently was that? It'd be pretty strange any time more recent than the Glorious Revolution. On the other hand some pretty strange things happen in theory in the Westminster system every time Parliament is dissolved ahead of an election. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caretaker_government
That's recent to me. I'm the sort that thinks Alfred the Great did not stop being a real person by being dead.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #356
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
That's recent to me. I'm the sort that thinks Alfred the Great did not stop being a real person by being dead.
Ah! I don't think of "current events" starting until 1688.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #357
jason taylor

Quote:
Ah! I don't think of "current events" starting until 1688.
Yeah. That would be about the right time.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #358
David Johnston2

A monarchy where instead of passing from parent to child it rotates between the top ranking noble familes. Obviously it would be a weak monarchy...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #359
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A monarchy where instead of passing from parent to child it rotates between the top ranking noble familes. Obviously it would be a weak monarchy...
Sort of the system in Brust's Dragerean Empire.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #360
jason taylor

The judiciary is centered around a state sponsored legal guild which controls the licence to practice criminal law (for civil law all you need is to say, "hey look at me, I'm a lawyer"). The various members go through a process similar to a Roman path of honors. The guild is divided into chapters not only to handle jurisdictions but to make it easier to select counsel. Each chapter is expected to be ambidextrous providing both defense and prosecution in turn. Rivalry between chapters is deliberately cultivated so that representatives of opposite sides of a "feud" can be chosen on a given case.

At a certain level of seniority a lawyer is authorized to be eligible as a magistrate.

Choice of Magistrates is not vested in the Head of State, nor in the Legislature, nor in popular election. They are instead in a council of electors. These are chosen by a series of elections and lotteries (much like a Venetian Doge's election). With two caveats. In the first election a given portion of the electors-of-electors ARE chosen by the Head of State, the Legislature, and popular election: the rest are chosen by guild members. Similarly when the final cut is made half must be guild members and half must not be. The term of an elector is for seven years, or until resignation, death or disbarrment. The Grand Justiciar presides over the Electors with a lifetime term unless he resigns or again is disbarred. He has no vote except in the event of a tie.

The electors do not try cases. Their only duty is to select the magistrates to preside over given cases.

Aside from the national council of electors, there are regional and municipal ones chosen in a similar way.

Deputy electors are chosen to by the council to examine a given attorney's qualification to ascend to the next level of seniority. They can make recommendations for choice of magistrates but have no other rights in that regard.

Last edited by jason taylor; 07-12-2018 at 08:12 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote