Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
ssveter

Default Warp Other and Snatcher ranged

Is this possible?

Use warp to "teleport" objects that you can see to yourself.

For example my villain D-Girl sees an object that our hapless hero is trying to use. She decides that she wants it. How would I contruct that power?

Another example she decides to snatch a tank from somewhere and have it appear over said hero. How would I do that?
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: Warp Other and Snatcher ranged

For the first, you'd need some sort of contested roll. Therefore, I might go with Telekinesis with Attraction, -60% as a base, with the Teleportation as a flavor effect. There may be situations where you can see the object you want to grab while its path also blocked by something transparent. Maybe some Enhancement, depending on how relevant you think this will likely be?

No idea about Snatch (yet).
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Despite its fluff, snatcher is a object creation power, not dimension travel or transportation power.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
sonic232

Snatching a TANK would be insane. You'd need several TONS of extra weight (+30% gives 50 lbs, and each additional +30% doubles your capacity.) plus the Large Items enhancement (+50%). And it only appears at arms length, so we'd need to give it ranged +40% (If the GM allows Snatcher to be Ranged! Ranged is normally restricted to Healing, Mana Damper, Mana Enhancer, Neutralize, Possession and Psi Static. If not, you may need to add some form of Cosmic to allow it. EDIT: After consulting Powers and comparing Create, I guess I'd allow it, but if you've got as many points as you'd need to blow on this, maybe just buy an Innate Attack)

An M1 Abrams weighs about 60 tons or 120,000 lbs. That's 12 doublings of 50 lbs, or +390% for weight, +50% for large items and +40% for Ranged for a total of 464 points.

EDIT: Also, I agree with ericthered. Snatcher is for those who can create items or have dimensional travel powers (as it is explicitely stealing them from another dimension unless you apply Creation)

Last edited by sonic232; 10-01-2015 at 10:50 AM.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
ssveter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic232 View Post
Snatching a TANK would be insane. You'd need several TONS of extra weight (+30% gives 50 lbs, and each additional +30% doubles your capacity.) plus the Large Items enhancement (+50%). And it only appears at arms length, so we'd need to give it ranged +40% (If the GM allows Snatcher to be Ranged! Ranged is normally restricted to Healing, Mana Damper, Mana Enhancer, Neutralize, Possession and Psi Static. If not, you may need to add some form of Cosmic to allow it. EDIT: After consulting Powers and comparing Create, I guess I'd allow it, but if you've got as many points as you'd need to blow on this, maybe just buy an Innate Attack)

An M1 Abrams weighs about 60 tons or 120,000 lbs. That's 12 doublings of 50 lbs, or +390% for weight, +50% for large items and +40% for Ranged for a total of 464 points.

EDIT: Also, I agree with ericthered. Snatcher is for those who can create items or have dimensional travel powers (as it is explicitely stealing them from another dimension unless you apply Creation)

Actually I am the GM. This is for a warping villain. The power is dimensional in flavor. She cannot create anything, just bring it from another location. I have already thought of one of her offensive powers to be an innate cutting attack, the effect being she attempts to warp a chunk of the target elsewhere. I thought I'd take it a step further in that she can take other peoples stuff from anywhere she could visualize it.

With snatcher I imagine her stealing stuff but it would eventually snap back to the exact spot it came from. For her to snatch an M1A1 see below:

Snatcher * (Large Items; More Weight (75 tons); Ranged; Mutant;
Cosmic) {p. B86, P76} 252

That is from GCA.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
sonic232

That's weird. I'll have to plug it into GCA myself, not sure why you're not getting the +390% on More Weight. Maybe I calculated it wrong. But for 'teleporting item A that I can see into my hand', it's more an Exoteleport ability rather than Snatcher (Snatcher explicitely is either creation or stealing from another dimension). Exoteleport is an Affliction of Warp, which you might want to switch to Malediction if you want it to not be an aimed beam. Powers has a build you might want to look at for a similar ability called 'Matter Transmission', I'd start from there and modify the Warp it grants to your needs.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

I do have my rules for using Snatcher for exo-teleport, and, while they need some serious playtest, they seem to work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
  • Fetching: You don't conjure items from another dimension; you bring items from this universe to you. You must visualize what you're looking for, and where it is. Standard range penalties to the target apply. You're at no penalty if you can see or otherwise percieve the object's exact location, -2 if you can percieve it indirectly (through someone else's eyes, through a video link,...) and -5 if you're blindly targeting a set of very precise coordinates (as per Warp). However, the items snatched remain permanently where you leave them. Items that you're very familiar with (GM's option) are easier to bring, giving you a bonus from +1 (You've studied the object, or an exact duplicate of it, for a hour) to +4 (It's a pendant you've worn since you can remember, and that you almost never remove) +0% or +100% of you can target sentient beings, that get to resist with Will. This is incompatible with Creation, recall and permanent.
  • Sending: Only for Fetching. You can send objects on top of bringing them to you. If this can only return fetched objects to the location you snatched them from, it's worth +25%. If you can send anything anywhere, this is worth +100%, or +0% if you can *only* send items, not fetch them. In the latter cases, if you cannot see the location to which you're sending the item, you suffer the standard penalties (above).
  • Range Limit: Only for Fetching. As per Warp (B99)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snatcher, super, warp