Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default [WWI] Junkers CL.I

Junkers CL.I
As early as 1910, Dr. Hugo Junkers was convinced of the effectiveness of the monoplane design, and produced a number of planes around this layout. All of these Junkers planes featured aluminum skins, earning them nicknames like the “Tin Donkey” and “Flying Tank.”
Late in the war, the Idfleig requested a design for a ground attack plane. Based on the earlier J7 single-seat fighter, the J8 featured an extended fuselage to allow room for a rear gunner, while retaining the monoplane layout and all-metal construction. To speed production, Junkers was required to work with Fokker, and this design was redesignated the J10. It was accepted into service as the CL.I. A total of 47 aircraft were delivered before the end of the war.
The CL.I burns 6.7 gallons of aviation fuel per hour at routine usage. The plane has a historical endurance of 2 hours. A full load of fuel and ammo costs $18.

Subassemblies: Recon Fighter chassis +2; Light Fighter wings with High-Agility option +2; 2 fixed wheels +0.
Powertrain: 134-kW HP gasoline engine with 134-kW old prop and 15-gallon standard fuel tank (Fire 14) [Body].
Occ.: 2 XCS Body
Cargo: 4 Body

Armor
Body: 2/2
Wings: 2/2
Wheels: 2/3

Weaponry:
2xAircraft LMG/08/15 [Body:F] (500 rounds each).*
Aircraft LMG/08/15 [Body:B] (500 rounds).
*Linked.

Equipment:
Body: Universal mount for rear MG.

Statistics:
Size: 26'x40'x9' Payload: 0.37 tons Lwt.: 1.16 tons
Volume: 96 Maint.: 110 hours Cost: $3,307

HT: 6. HPs: 15 Body, 45 each Wing, 3 each Wheel.

aSpeed: 100 aAccel: 3 aDecel: 33 aMR: 8 aSR: 1
Stall Speed: 41 mph. Take-Off Run: 187 yards. Landing Run: 168 yards.
gSpeed: 172 gAccel: 9 gDecel: 10 gMR: 0.5 gSR: 1
Ground Pressure: Very High. 1/8 Off-Road Speed.

Design Notes:
Historical wing area was 253 sf. The weight, HPs and cost of the wings were halved to decrease design weight; the weight was then increased 2% to the historical. The MG load outs are a guess. Design aSpeed was 111 mph. Performance calculations were based on historical values for wing area and loaded weight. Fuel capacity was based on the plane's historical endurance and the design fuel consumption.

Variants:
The CLS.I (or J11) (1918) were 3 planes equipped with floats for use by the German navy.

Here's a cool replica of this airplane:
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/junkers.HTM

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com

Last edited by Phaelen Bleux; 11-19-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, airplane, germany, mvds, wwi