Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
David Johnston2

Default Van Zandt's Secret

A month or two ago I posted the Oops parallels in Reality Seeds. And it was Van Zandt's Secret, the thing he revealed to the world's leaders to get a monopoly on parachronic technology that inspired them. Well that and the fact that Homeline's parachronic technology is weirdly mature. You see I'd expect early parachronic technology to be more limited and/or less reliable. The first projector/conveyero to be something like a gigantic particle accelerator that only broke through into one world, or a vehicle that bounced around out of control Time Tunnel style without being able to pick it's destination. Instead Van Zandt shows up with a near perfect technology just as good as Centrum's even though Centrum had a big head start.

So my theory is that Van Zandt got his technology from another Van Zandt, and that the secret he revealed to the world's leaders is that the odds are greatly against getting parachronics right. And getting it wrong produces an Oops. Worlds depopulated, invaded through gates it can't close, wracked by reality quakes, flung into interstellar space or stripped of air. Van Zandt got his tech from another Van Zandt who ruined his world.

And that Van Zandt only gave it to him on the condition that he use to do anything he can to keep any other world from getting close to developing it because the more people who get close to it, the more Oopses there will be. And thus The Secret is the reason for The Other Secret.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote