Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #31
Culture20

Default Re: DR (Tough Skin... No Signature?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Well no. Remember, by default flight isn't just visible. It's also audible. You would get No Signature to stop making noise when you fly.
Then why do examples for flight that makes sound include Noisy as a limitation?
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #32
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If it's DR, you shouldn't be able to shoot through it, and if you can't shoot through it where is stuff flying off?
No, you shouldn't be able to inflict injury through it. Tough Skin is pretty specifically something that can be penetrated, since it doesn't work vs blood agents.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #33
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Then why do examples for flight that makes sound include Noisy as a limitation?
Only particularly loud ones. Things that aren't very loud but aren't silent can have Flight without Noisy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
No, you shouldn't be able to inflict injury through it. Tough Skin is pretty specifically something that can be penetrated, since it doesn't work vs blood agents.
You inflict injury by penetrating. That's how DR works. Tough Skin means that a hit that doesn't penetrate the DR still causes a (non-damaging) wound that admits Blood Agents, and that it doesn't prevent skin contact (because it is skin)...but a bullet that fails to penetrate Tough Skin DR is not a bullet that passes through the target. It adds to your cover DR, see...

You could build a custom modified DR that represents this weird supernatural thing, if for some reason it needed to behave differently from either of the existing methods for representing a thing almost exactly like it, but it couldn't be just Tough Skin.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #34
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Only particularly loud ones. Things that aren't very loud but aren't silent can have Flight without Noisy.

You inflict injury by penetrating. That's how DR works. Tough Skin means that a hit that doesn't penetrate the DR still causes a (non-damaging) wound that admits Blood Agents, and that it doesn't prevent skin contact (because it is skin)...but a bullet that fails to penetrate Tough Skin DR is not a bullet that passes through the target.
A bullet that fails to penetrate tough skin DR does penetrate the skin; there's no other explanation for it applying blood agents.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #35
whswhs

Quote:
A bullet that fails to penetrate tough skin DR does penetrate the skin; there's no other explanation for it applying blood agents.
Part of the skin, the dermis, is made up of living cells. They need blood circulation to keep them alive.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Well no. Remember, by default flight isn't just visible. It's also audible. You would get No Signature to stop making noise when you fly.
Okay, that's a fair point. But it doesn't imply that the signature of Flight necessarily includes having some visible organ or physical process that keeps you off the ground.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #37
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
It penetrates the surface of the skin, certainly. Skin, especially DR-providing skin, has thickness.

And, uh, a bullet that fails to penetrate non-tough skin DR also will frequently penetrate the outer surface of the material to some extent. The difference is that the material providing tough skin DR is live body tissue with circulation, so depositing a blood agent into the armor material is still a successful delivery.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 AM   #38
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Well, walking is audible. Flight neither lists an increase nor decrease in the noise level.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:48 AM   #39
Tallor

Since I got a great answer to this thread (Basically, DR is noticeable in realistic settings), I think I'll adjourn. Thanks for the help! :)
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #40
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Since I got a great answer to this thread (Basically, DR is noticeable in realistic settings), I think I'll adjourn. Thanks for the help! :)
Glad you find an answer :) Don't expect the rest of us to stop talking amongst ourselves though - it's basically what we do.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage resistance, no signature, tough skin