Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #751
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
So, the ship dropped out before Day took actions against the hyper-drives?
Yes, before Day took any action.

Quote:
What are the other people doing?
Pacifica may react like the rest of the people in the ship do.

But it depends on the things happening at such moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pacific is tired from loss of sleep last night, and has just gotten up for the morning when the ship drops out of hyperspace. There is the recognizable shudder. There is a moment of silence, then the room breaks out in loud conversation. Most people are saying the ship had more drive trouble, like it was having before. Others say they wanted to surprise the dreadstormers and they are at a supply depot. Pacifica's meal crew waffles between the two options, discussing them. They know that someone tried to sabotage the voltmeters, and they've heard the rumors about the supply depot. They lean towards dreadstormer sabotage. After about two minutes, the mess NCO gets a call from the telephone in the mess, and announces that this is an unscheduled drop out of hyperspace, and they should get ready for a long day of course plotting, because a lot of contingencies need to be triggered or completely reworked. They hope the exact location can be calculated by the shift before you. Maybe.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:15 PM   #752
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Thanks for the clarification! Quite the plot-twist!

It is morning, and the ship falls from hyperspace. It takes Pacifica by surprise, as it probably did with the rest of the crew as well. She looks amused, confident and anxious. Pacifica toys with the atmosphere and plays with her mood and the mood of her group as she shares her feelings. She loves, to the point of obsession, these chances to question the choices taken by the shepherds, watching the lambs in distress and living such moments...

Relax, trust your superiors!
Face it all to-get-her my friends.


Says Pacifica as she pats Nejora’s shoulder.

This is where we start, and we must prepare to collide with the dark. I feel just like you, but this is not the dead end. The world doesn’t get smaller as we reach out; on the contrary, even if the shadow is right behind us, we can stand tall!

Hopefully she lights the mood a bit.

And besides, didn’t the Black Kraken get our backs?

As Pacifica ends her short-speech, an officer announces the stop was unscheduled, but she elaborates in the fact ship is working to address the contingences.

On her way to work, Pacifica tells Nejora (in private) it might be a good idea to have the shiv ready, as long as she (knows how and) can keep it somewhere safe.


Quote:
Pacifica's acting -5 (defaulting to do public speaking):
3d6 <= 10
2 + 2 + 6 = 10 ... success.

Pacifica's fast-talk (talking to Nejora):
3d6 <= 13
3 + 2 + 5 = 10 ... success.

Pacifica's acting (assertive joke about the Black Kraken):
3d6 <= 15
2 + 2 + 6 = 12 ... success.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #753
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
And besides, didn’t the Black Kraken get our backs?

On her way to work, Pacifica tells Nejora (in private) it might be a good idea to have the shiv ready, as long as she (knows how and) can keep it somewhere safe.
Nejora raises her eyebrows. "You're one strange creature."

"I've got my shiv. Yeah, they might try something. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious."

upon entering the work area, Pacifica approaches the departing Vinobi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Talking to Lt. Chojo, and let her know about the subverted officers:

Understanding that Lt. Vinobi is one of Pacifica’s immediate superiors, she will address him as the procedures allow it. She will ask Vinobi for a moment to inform him of potential Dread-Stormers or “La Quinta” supporters, in private, considering it is delicate matter.

Provided she gets her chance, she speaks to
Chojo:

As you know, Lieutenant, efforts to identify La Quinta and Dread-Stormers supporters have been redoubled over the past few days; as part of a special investigation and a series of evidence-based interviews, the relevant identification tasks have been carried out successfully.

However, we cannot let our guard down, for this reason I want to express my concerns with you; It is possible there are other sympathizers on the ship (very close to you). It is not in my power to conduct an investigation; however, you have sufficient authorization to present the case to the authority, determine if surveillance is required and ultimately discover if there are any risks in this regard.

So, under my duty as a member of the crew, I give you the following names…
Vinobi gives Pacfica permission to step aside into a room.

"So you only suspect these people? How many do you think are la Quinta supporters? Does your commander know about this list? ... that would be Zybo. The Malu officer."
................................................

Pacifica keeps up chatter with Nejora for a good part of the morning, trying to find out why she joined the navy, what the tattoo is about, and so forth.

Its hard, because they have a lot of work to to. Nejora, along with most of the navigation section, is running numbers on the jump characteristics of the spot of space they are in, and recalculating a bunch of different paths.

Pacfica is assigned to update a bunch of charts she's previously made.

Zybo calls her up to talk "Is your buddy sure that Nichapu is the dreadstormer sympathizer? Jivithi* was one of our canidates, and his position when the ship dropped out of hyperspace is very suspicious. I've been watching Nichapu like a hawk. He hasn't done anything suspicious yet..."
*officer in charge of motive section that is compromised.

At lunch, Pacifica's attempts to gather rumors gather an active swath of speculation. rumor has it that:
  • someone has run across a supply of weapons stashed on the ship.
  • People across the ship have gone missing
  • The officers are gathering a posse of trusted individuals to take out suspected dread-stormers.
  • The officers are debating disabling the ship for the remainder of the war, hoping to delay it being turned against the Zorbani.
  • The Dreadstormers are targeting hyperspace technicians
  • There is a secret base nearby... versions where it is Jakorbi exist, as to versions where it is Zorbani
Pacfica's shift is worked without too much comment beyond that.

As Pacifica is eating, Daymar and Hua are getting up. Hua's shift is getting ready for a hard day. Their swath of rumors is much more limited.

Pothi is very surprised that Daymar wants to introduce him to a potential lady-friend "I'd have thought you'd be worried about the drive... though I suppose our section is pretty good and undamaged... yeah, we have time to go meet her."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #754
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
As Pacifica is eating, Daymar and Hua are getting up. Hua's shift is getting ready for a hard day. Their swath of rumors is much more limited.
Shoot. Am I too late to and/or did the sabotage interrupt my plan to make the fake pills during my sleep shift?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #755
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Shoot. Am I too late to and/or did the sabotage interrupt my plan to make the fake pills during my sleep shift?
You are not too late. Go ahead and do it.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #756
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You are not too late. Go ahead and do it.
Alright.
Stealth and Photorefraction to fetch the materials
Quote:
[505] 21-06-28 18:03:52 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16
5 + 4 + 4 = 13 ... success
[506] 21-06-28 18:04:23 CEST
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 15
5 + 1 + 4 = 10 ... success
Stealth and Photorefraction on the return to the mess I cased previously.
Quote:
[507] 21-06-28 18:04:38 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16
2 + 6 + 5 = 13 ... success
[508] 21-06-28 18:04:51 CEST
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 15
4 + 3 + 5 = 12 ... success
DX Based Cooking to make the first set of pills
Quote:
[509] 21-06-28 18:12:14 CEST
DX Based Cooking
3d6 <= 14 : 1 + 2 + 5 = 8 ... success
I'll assume I have enough time to make the second set (with the monoyithlidethaline mixed in) assuming no failures. If there isn't then I won't.
Quote:
[510] 21-06-28 18:13:52 CEST
DX Based Cooking II
3d6 <= 14
5 + 6 + 1 = 12 ... success
Then to return the pills to hidey hole and return to bed. I'm going to squish the stealth and photorefraction rolls together.
Quote:
511] 21-06-28 18:15:16 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16
1: 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 ... success
2: 5 + 2 + 1 = 8 ... success
[512] 21-06-28 18:15:31 CEST
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 15
1: 5 + 5 + 6 = 16 ... failure
2: 6 + 3 + 1 = 10 ... success
Oh no!
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #757
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Pacifica talks to Nejora during the down time, and pays attention to what she tells; but Pacifica also tries her best to help the new calculations:

Pacifica's administration:
3d6 <= 14
4 + 2 + 3 = 9 ... success

After listening to Vinobi’s remarks, Pacifica tries to explain the situation from her point of view:

Sir, there might be others, but I cannot tell for sure. My suspicions stem from the interactions I have had in the ship and cannot hold them but as rumors to be confirmed, hence my request.

Quote:
Pacifica's fast-talk:
3d6 <= 13
5 + 5 + 5 = 15 ... failure
At first it doesn’t seem to help much, but she continues.

However, my cue are the running rumors about the ship’s current destination and about its status, which you might have heard as well. Not to mention the most recent event.

To make an example, she tells him about the rumors she heard in the morning, when the ship dropped.

Such rumors have been around for a while, but now I can tell there is some sort of pattern that makes me think of the officers I just mentioned. We can’t take second chances in this dire situation, so I wanted to share my concerns with you. I think the cost-benefit of looking into this, is in our favor.

Quote:
Pacifica's fast-talk -2:
3d6 <= 11
2 + 1 + 1 = 4 ... critical success!
When Pacifica is summoned to Zybo, she listens to him and then comments the following:

Sir, I understand your concerns. “Daymar” reached us with this piece of information that matched the investigation we were working with at that moment. I can answer up to the point his testimony matches the events and the evidence. However, I think the current situation is comprehensible: The interviews were directly conducted with the potential offenders, so it might be wise (for them) keeping a low profile (especially if we spoiled their efforts).

I would advice keeping an eye on both Nichapu and Jivithi.
I can help you if you have any requests, sir!

Quote:
Pacifica's fast-talk:
3d6 <= 13
3 + 4 + 2 = 9 ... success.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #758
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pothi is very surprised that Daymar wants to introduce him to a potential lady-friend "I'd have thought you'd be worried about the drive... though I suppose our section is pretty good and undamaged... yeah, we have time to go meet her."
"I'm concerned about the drive, of course, but we still need to eat, don't we? We'll stop in have a snack and take a look, how does that sound?"
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 06-28-2021 at 03:28 PM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #759
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Alright.
Stealth and Photorefraction to fetch the materials

Stealth and Photorefraction on the return to the mess I cased previously.

DX Based Cooking to make the first set of pills

I'll assume I have enough time to make the second set (with the monoyithlidethaline mixed in) assuming no failures. If there isn't then I won't.

Then to return the pills to hidey hole and return to bed. I'm going to squish the stealth and photorefraction rolls together.

Oh no!

Hua's timing on the pills:



Someone will check the kitchen randomly in the next hour. To get both sets of pills done in 30 minutes would require a -5 penalty on both rolls. The decision to do that doesn't matter, because she either doesn't have time to do both, or she succeeds with the first batch or fails with the second.


Its the night of the dropout (it happened a few hours before the cooking), so there is an usual amount of activity. Hua sees someone staring at her shimmer at the start of the night, but quickly rounds a corner, hides, and nothing comes of it. (your stealth roll saved your bacon!)


Hua is down 1 hour of sleep.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacifica talks to Nejora during the down time, and pays attention to what she tells; but Pacifica also tries her best to help the new calculations:
Pacifica works hard, and moves through her tasks fairly quickly. This should at least decrease anyone's suspicion about Zybo's reliance on her.



Quote:

Sir, there might be others, but I cannot tell for sure. My suspicions stem from the interactions I have had in the ship and cannot hold them but as rumors to be confirmed, hence my request.

However, my cue are the running rumors about the ship’s current destination and about its status, which you might have heard as well. Not to mention the most recent event.

Such rumors have been around for a while, but now I can tell there is some sort of pattern that makes me think of the officers I just mentioned. We can’t take second chances in this dire situation, so I wanted to share my concerns with you. I think the cost-benefit of looking into this, is in our favor.


Your fast-talk failed, you don't get a reroll, and you didn't answer his question about Zybo. He nods anyways and dismisses you back to your post.

Quote:
Sir, I understand your concerns. “Daymar” reached us with this piece of information that matched the investigation we were working with at that moment. I can answer up to the point his testimony matches the events and the evidence. However, I think the current situation is comprehensible: The interviews were directly conducted with the potential offenders, so it might be wise (for them) keeping a low profile (especially if we spoiled their efforts).

I would advice keeping an eye on both Nichapu and Jivithi.
I can help you if you have any requests, sir!

Zybo purses his lips. "I suppose so. We really need to find some proof though. See if you can come up with a scheme to expose them."


Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
"I'm concerned about the drive, of course, but we still need to eat, don't we? We'll stop in have a snack and take a look, how does that sound?"

Pothi is anxious to meet the girl, and goes to meet her. Her mess looks exhausted: they've been working at breakneck speed for the last hour, and they haven't had time to process the dropout yet: they were one of the two sections hardest hit*.


*weirdly, navigation, transport, and motive are the sections hardest hit by that emergency. And Daymar and Pacifica have jobs that partially insulate you because you're not doing the same thing as the bulk of your second
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #760
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

After her dismissal, Pacifica gets to her station and keeps on working. Once the shift ends, she tells Nejora (in private, as they walk to lunch) she suspects people at the higher levels; Pacifica tries bluffing the results of her talk with Vinobi, however ...

Pacifica's fast-talk:
3d6 <= 13
5 + 6 + 4 = 15 ... failure.

Well, to be honest it did not go that well Nejora; however, I urge you to be careful with the officers. Keep it to yourself, my friend. Then she acts as if nothing happened.

Pacifica's acting:
3d6 <= 15
1 + 6 + 2 = 9 … success.

As the conversation with Zybo moves forward, Pacifica tells him about Vinobi.

Sir, I just attempted to share my concerns about potential Dread-Stormers in the ship with Vinobi. I found my superior was skeptical about my remarks, and I understand it; I was dismissed before sharing my point of view. But if you allow me, I want to share them with you.

She shares her “theory” and gives Zybo the name of a subverted officer to shift his attention away from Daymar’s section and the team's plans. She also tells him Vinobi was interested in knowing if he (Zybo) had more information regarding the Dread-Stormers, a question she left unanswered.


Pacifica's fast-talk:
3d6 <= 13
2 + 4 + 3 = 9 ... success.

Pacifica told Zybo about her conversation with Vinobi because he (Vinobi) was interested in Zybo’s intel, but seemed skeptical about the possibility of other officers working for LA QUINTA. She spoke to Vinobi in the first place because “she had a feeling something was wrong with them”. Although she did not manage to expose her reasons to Vinobi, she exposes them to Zybo:
  • Day actually said he “is sure about the man he pointed but can’t tell if the others are involved in something”.
  • He also brought information at the right time, when the investigation was reaching a breakthrough point.
  • Someone should be filtering information at the higher ranks, as rumors regarding critical information resulted true (e.g. the depot), such rumors benefit the Dread-Stormers.
Her concerns may imply she doesn’t trust Vinobi, but maybe she was just paving the way, assuming that Vinobi might reach Zybo because of this matter in the near future. But she does say this: “I guess we should check twice”, with an emphasis on the names she gave. Pacifica does not expose she is suspicious of Vinobi, she actually wanted his help, but the facts might affect the perception of things.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。

Last edited by Hide; 06-30-2021 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Clearing OOC questions.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.