Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
gilbertocarlos

Default House Rule Debate(Perception and maximum range)

Well, a little problem I have in my GURPS table is that the perception of a character don't help in nothing when using ranged weapons(a person with skill 15 and Per 12 don't have any advantage against someone with skill 15 and Per 8 for example), and one day brainstorming, i have made this House Rule, but before use it in my table, i want the opinion of orher GURPS players and GMs.
Here it is:

The max penalty of a ranged attack equals to Perception+Basic Acc of the weapon+Target SM+Acute Vision
Telescopic vision half the range to this purpose by 2/level

Example-Albert(ST10 bow-15, Per 12) and Brian(ST10 Bow-15, Per 8) both have a regular bow(Acc 2, range 150/200), and some bad guys are going in their direction, Albert having Perception 12 and a Acc2 weapon(12+2=14) could start shooting once the oponents are in the bow range, and could even aim at the legs at that distance, but Brian isn't a deadeye as Albert, and unless aim at an area, at a very big opponent, he would have to wait until they are at least at 100 yards.

Altought this rarely will come into play within Average Joe range(skill 12 and per 10), it will make a lot harder to the sniper who have Skill 20 hit the bad guys if he have bad sight and are unattentive.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
Celti

Default Re: House Rule Debate(Perception and maximum range)

The biggest issue with this that I see is that skill doesn't factor into it. Someone with Per 10, Bow 12, and someone with Per 10, Bow 25 still have the same maximum range, by your rules. That doesn't wash.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Phoenix_Dragon

Yeah, perception would increase the range you see the person, but not the range you'd be able to hit them once you do see them...
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
The biggest issue with this that I see is that skill doesn't factor into it. Someone with Per 10, Bow 12, and someone with Per 10, Bow 25 still have the same maximum range, by your rules. That doesn't wash.
Yeah, but soon the person starts aiming at a specific location, the things start to change, because if the person aim at, lets say, the face, it is -5, if he uses a bow of Acc 2, and have perception 10, it soon drops from all the range from just 30y

Last edited by gilbertocarlos; 06-18-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
Rupert

I would simply be unkind in my ruling on when you need to make Perception rolls.

If a person is over 100 metres/yards away and not out in the open, realistically even if someone points them out to you you should be making a roll to see them. Do this and someone with high Per will, over time, be obviously better at attacking people at range - he'll spot them further away and sooner, on average.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Well, a little problem I have in my GURPS table is that the perception of a character don't help in nothing when using ranged weapons(a person with skill 15 and Per 12 don't have any advantage against someone with skill 15 and Per 8 for example), and one day brainstorming, i have made this House Rule, but before use it in my table, i want the opinion of orher GURPS players and GMs.
Here it is:

The max penalty of a ranged attack equals to Perception+Basic Acc of the weapon+Target SM+Acute Vision
Telescopic vision half the range to this purpose by 2/level

Example-Albert(ST10 bow-15, Per 12) and Brian(ST10 Bow-15, Per 8) both have a regular bow(Acc 2, range 150/200), and some bad guys are going in their direction, Albert having Perception 12 and a Acc2 weapon(12+2=14) could start shooting once the oponents are in the bow range, and could even aim at the legs at that distance, but Brian isn't a deadeye as Albert, and unless aim at an area, at a very big opponent, he would have to wait until they are at least at 100 yards.

Altought this rarely will come into play within Average Joe range(skill 12 and per 10), it will make a lot harder to the sniper who have Skill 20 hit the bad guys if he have bad sight and are unattentive.
Yer gonna like Tactical Shooting.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yer gonna like Tactical Shooting.
Probably yes, Waiting to see how Tactical Shooting will deal with this.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Probably yes, Waiting to see how Tactical Shooting will deal with this.
Through applying the existing rules with more vigor.

You can't attack something, or defend against it, unless you can Perceive it. First, you determine as GM what your player's characters can perceive (through fiat or roll), then if they can perceive them, they may act normally. If not, they may not. If they 'partially' perceive them, apply concealment/cover/whatever modifiers to skills, as normal.

This is how GURPS works now; Tactical Shooting gives GMs more help, suggested modifiers, etc. But it already usefully abstracts this sort of thing into the usual philosophy of the US military: "If we can see it, we can hit it; if we can hit it, we can kill it." :-)

But the seeing comes first, and modifies the rest.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Anthony

If I were inclined to worry about this, I'd be tempted to cap weapon skills at (perception+10). Then again, I'm also inclined to implement weapon accuracy in terms of skill caps.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If I were inclined to worry about this, I'd be tempted to cap weapon skills at (perception+10). Then again, I'm also inclined to implement weapon accuracy in terms of skill caps.
Hee hee.

Hee hee.

Tags
house rule, long range, perception, sniper