Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Luke Bunyip

Default Gunslinger and Machine Gun?

One of the player characters in my campaign has a Colt Model 1914 [HTPG2:pg18] and ST 19. The player in question wants to get Gunslinger.

Any comments? I am after some alternate ideas as to how Gunslinger works. Is it applicable for a MMG, even if a character is insanely strong?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Gunslinger and Machine Gun?

AT 19 is not insanely strongm he is just very strong.

What is suitable and what is not is ofcourse allways a GM call, but in my games people who can use a heavy weapon twohaned use the twohanded weapon rules under gunslinger(or onehanded rules if they can use the weapon onehanded).
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Darekun

I don't have "GURPS Guns", in either edition; does the weapon have any unusual stats for an MMG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Any comments?
Well, Gunslinger is cinematic(though clearly inferior to TBAM or WM, and especially to their combination), but as long as the cinematic "reality" of Rambo walking around with a minigun isn't a problem, it should be fine.

Quote:
I am after some alternate ideas as to how Gunslinger works.
What do you mean? It's an unnatural talent for shooting from the hip.

Quote:
Is it applicable for a MMG, even if a character is insanely strong?
Yes; they won't likely get full Acc from it, since it probably has a ! ROF and is most useful on full auto anyway, but getting half Acc every round with an MMG is pretty sweet, a good investment of 25 points. And if they are using it in semiauto to snipe, they aren't making optimum use of their weapon, so getting the other half of Acc is no big deal.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Kalzazz

If he only wants to use it for the M1914 he only needs 5 pts for 'specific model of gun'

I have no personal problems of belief in seeing someone use a MMG with Gunslinger
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
kure

Quote:
One of the player characters in my campaign has a Colt Model 1914 [HTPG2:pg18] and ST 19. The player in question wants to get Gunslinger.

Any comments? I am after some alternate ideas as to how Gunslinger works. Is it applicable for a MMG, even if a character is insanely strong?
first there is no restriction on gunslinger used for MG"s
second gunslinger as written in Basic set is not good points investment at all, if you are not use WIDE range of weapons (guns, gunner, liquid projector, beam weapons...)

but if you posses GunFu book, there is described more benefits from gunslinger, for action like games.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Kalzazz

Gunslinger is essentially Weapon Master . . . . for guns

Though to a certain extent its not so useful until you get to like Ultra Tech or such, unless you buy the cheaper more specialized forms for the exact form of gun you intend to be using
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
Green-Neck

As the Player in Question I thought I would throw in the following info:

Dr. Kromm on Gunslinger
(http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ght=gunslinger) - read the last enry on the page.

The Colt Model 1914 (1915 spanish varient in 7 x 57mm Mauser)
Wt. 36 lbs, ROF 10!, Acc. 5, ST 17M, Bulk -7.

As used by the New York Police Emergency Service Division, the forerunner to SWAT (in 30-06).
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Langy

Quote:
getting half Acc every round with an MMG is pretty sweet, a good investment of 25 points
No it isn't. Compare the +2 to hit with every round you'd get with that Acc 5 gun to the +6 to skill you'd get if you just dumped all those points in guns skill.

The other benefits that Gunslingers get, which are in High Tech and Gun Fu, do make it useful at 25 points, though. If you're a Gunslinger with just this type of weapon, you can nab that for 5 points, too, according to Gun Fu (that's Gunslinger with the Accessibility Limitation: One Model Only -80%).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Joel

It works just fine, and if he's firing it from the hip (or a bipod) rather than from a tripod or vehicle mount, he should use Guns (LMG) rather than Gunner (Machine Gun).

I'd also advice him to get his gun to fine quality, which would make Gunslinger with some Accessibility limitation a decent investment.

Last edited by Joel; 02-07-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
If he only wants to use it for the M1914 he only needs 5 pts for 'specific model of gun'

I have no personal problems of belief in seeing someone use a MMG with Gunslinger
I don't know if you can shoot a 1914 that way but I saw ST11 R. Lee Ermy shoot an Browning 1917 MG from the hip on TV without a tripod on Lock 'N Load with some close range accuracy

A somewhat cinematic dude (more than 4x stronger than an average man) with gunslinger should be able to
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote