Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Questions regarding Camouflage, Stealth, and oddly enough, one eye disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
I accept that sometimes rulings in the Basic Set are ambiguous and later expansions clarify, tidy or expand them, but in this one, with all due respect, I would say that High-Tech and Low-Tech are wrong.
And given that Camouflage is already extremely useful in that it can be used on others, as some who plays stealthy character would be EXTREMELY annoyed to find my stealth skill devalued like that.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Icelander

Default Re: Questions regarding Camouflage, Stealth, and oddly enough, one eye disadvantage.

Of course, GURPS Tactical Shooting will have a section covering counter-sniping.

This will address most of the questions above.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Stealth prevents being seen and being heard. Its main uses are hiding from sight behind concealment or in shadow, and treading lightly. However, very little in the way of gear gives a bonus in that situation; mostly, the more gear you have, the harder it is to hide, thanks to encumbrance. Dan was describing equipment bonuses, not skill effects.

Camouflage only prevents being seen. Its main use is hiding from sight by breaking up outlines and disguising oneself as part of the environment. A lot of gear gives a bonus in that situation. Again, Dan was describing equipment bonuses, not skill effects.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmaker View Post
[n my game one of the characters enemies are going to be setting up an ambush, the NPC has camouflage and stealth. The players would naturally have their vision, and one player (not the target) has danger sense.

So a quick series of question for my GURPS Gurus.

1. How do range modifiers directly apply to vision checks against camouflage to spot the target? If my bad guy is a sniper in some trees, at aprox 100 yards (he wants to escape after his shot), what kind of modifier should apply?
You use the usual range table.

Quote:
2. Stealth of course is also an applicable skill, would the bad guy in question get a contested vision vs camo roll, followed by a contested vision vs stealth roll?
You need to decide. Is he moving or is he stationary? Camo isn't so useful when moving. Stealth isn't so useful when stationary.

Quote:
3. If one character has danger sense, but he is not the target of the assassin, would he get a ping for his buddy beside him being targeted?
Sez any situation involving an ambush, impending disaster or similar hazard. No limitation to yourself.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sez any situation involving an ambush, impending disaster or similar hazard. No limitation to yourself.
If you read it like that, it goes off whenever anyone anywhere faces an ambush, impending disaster, or similar hazard. Which means it's always going off.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If you read it like that, it goes off whenever anyone anywhere faces an ambush, impending disaster, or similar hazard. Which means it's always going off.
Except that I would use the range table as for most other perception rolls.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Danger Sense is personal, like Luck or Destiny. It has no specific range limit, but it only works for you. You'd get a ping whether the threat was a bomb that would teleport in from another universe in a second or a bomb in your back pocket, or if an assassin had you in his sights from 500 yards. You'd get nothing if that assassin had his sights on your pal . . . but you'd still get a warning about bombs intended for him, if you were within their blast radius. It isn't a sense per se, but a special form of personal plot protection.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation