Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Jasonft

Default Regaining control of a malfunctioning battlesuit. How?

This references an event from last night's supers game and I thought it would make for a fun discussion.

A person wearing a suit of ultra-tech battle armor completely loses control of the systems in it after being attacked by Gremlins. The suit curls up into a ball and starts rolling around the room (a secure lab in this case), bouncing off of things and making pinball game noises and mooing sounds as it does so.

Assuming the person is a gadgeteer (she was) and built the armor herself (likewise) with her disturbingly high skill levels (severe IQ crank) just what are her skill modifiers to get control of or at least shut down the armor?

On a more generally applicable note - What are your options if you aren't a gadgeteer in her lab and lose control of your battesuit completely?
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Regaining control of a malfunctioning battlesuit. How?

Find the right wire(s) to cut. After that, a Gadgeteer needs to do some reprogramming, while anybody else needs to take it to somebody who can replace the computer system entirely.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft
A person wearing a suit of ultra-tech battle armor completely loses control of the systems in it after being attacked by Gremlins. The suit curls up into a ball and starts rolling around the room (a secure lab in this case), bouncing off of things and making pinball game noises and mooing sounds as it does so.
It depends - if the wearer is still inside the suit at this moment, he or she may find it somewhat difficult to regain control...
Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
On a more generally applicable note - What are your options if you aren't a gadgeteer in her lab and lose control of your battesuit completely?
How do you lose control "completely"?

A sensibly designed battle suit has an off switch/eject me subsystem somewhere fairly accessible to the wearer, and designed to still work even when most of the suit systems have been damaged. But if you have magically "lost control" it presumably no longer works. For sufficiently silly versions of lost control, there may be no way - God has reached down and seized control of it, and declared it now obeys only him for Eternity pretty well locks you out.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
How do you lose control "completely"?

A sensibly designed battle suit has an off switch/eject me subsystem somewhere fairly accessible to the wearer, and designed to still work even when most of the suit systems have been damaged.
This^^. The options for, and the odds of success of, the pilot regaining control actually depend on almost entirely on how the battlesuit is designed and how it works. If she had the foresight to install the necessary backup and shutoff options, then it depends on how well they work and how well they were designed.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote