Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Keiko
Banned

Default Kick *** 2 GURPS supers game

Posting this for a friend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
Kick Ass 2 rekindled the interest in a campaign I've had in the back of my head for awhile: a non traditional "superhero" setting based on the idea of a group of "Real Life Superheroes", that sorts that dress in costumes and perform neighborhood watch style patrols, community services and other low key but positive activities that decides to take things to the next level and actually, actively fight crime in an aggressive, vigilante manner.

The mood would be somewhat gritty but optimistic cinema with the the PCs in real danger and facing competent (and ruthless) opponents but very capable (or lucky) themselves with the potential to make good on their efforts. Action would high octane action movie, not totally over the top but would definite push the envelope of nominal realism. There would be no overt supernatural elements, at least at first but I reserve the possibility of it coming up later, at least in small discrete doses so no actual superpowers, magic or completely science fiction elements. The laws of science may be stretch, even bent but not mutilated or shattered so the most common "powers" would be extreme levels of skill, talent even luck or meta abilities.

I think will be using GURPS. Though Hero System is my personal favorite, GURPS as it will allow for a somewhat more down to Earth feel while allowing for some cinematic excess and provides a greater variety of character design and development choices in the normal human range. Any thoughts on developing the setting, point totals, optional rules, potential problems/plots and anything else would be welcome as well.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Kick *** 2 GURPS supers game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Posting this for a friend:
I thought I told Nexus that everything's gonna be OK. (And if the alarm goes off, I'll be more persistent this time.)

Also, I expect a rather gritty campaign out of that concept. ^_^
More gritty than the majority would expect.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Also, I expect a rather gritty campaign out of that concept. ^_^
More gritty than the majority would expect.
Personally I couldn't run or play in a game like that. I could barely read the comic.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Personally I couldn't run or play in a game like that. I could barely read the comic.
I didn't watch the film either. But if someone wants gritty supers, I think GURPS might give more than one bargained for.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

To get darker than I'd imagine based on the comic, you'd have to actually "play" Vigilante.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'd strongly suggest making both Higher Purpose (Even the odds against crime) and Luck campaign advantages, and probably balancing that with a serious Secret. The first two traits offer after-the-fact justification for the PCs not being reamed on their first outing ("They were driven . . . and frankly, they got lucky."), while the third is both necessary in any quasi-realistic setting and a big stick to use to beat the players into being careful. Despite two of these traits seeming dramatic and larger-than-life, I think this would result in a suitable feel.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Keiko
Banned

Re: The mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus
For what its worth, I'm aiming for the mood and tone of movies not the comic. Personally I found it far too bleak and cynical.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Re: The mood
I didn't even know that the film was even out yet, but I guess it opened on Friday.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
Kale

I saw the movie opening night. One of the things I could see happening with the party is the PCs walking the line between heroic and villain weaponry. In KA2 the heroes tend to use bats, sticks, staffs etc whereas the bad guys tend to use guns. If the PCs get desperate enough they might try to resort to heavier firepower in an attempt to even the odds, leading to a serious arms escalation problem. This will lead to the game going from 'neighborhood heroes' to 'everybody gets shot' or 'everybody has ALL the police chasing them for getting wrapped up with some illegal arms dealer'.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
smurf
Banned

Not forgetting delusions and other personality disorders.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote