Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Ronnke

Default Re: GURPS Conan returns

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Someone pinch me, I'm in shock.

Does this mean there is a future possibility of 4th Edition GURPS Conan products?
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
Does this mean there is a future possibility of 4th Edition GURPS Conan products?
It might but the fact that the license holders and SJG have chosen to reprint the 3e stuff instead says that nobody has the money to write them.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It might but the fact that the license holders and SJG have chosen to reprint the 3e stuff instead says that nobody has the money to write them.
Indeed. At a guess (and this is definitely a guess; I'm not an employee, I know no more about this that the rest of you, etc., etc.), I'd say that completely novel 4e material or a Conan 4e is exceptionally unlikely, a 4e conversion guide a la Will To Live is modestly more likely but I'm just not feeling it at the moment, and no new material whatsoever is most probable.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Indeed. At a guess (and this is definitely a guess; I'm not an employee, I know no more about this that the rest of you, etc., etc.), I'd say that completely novel 4e material or a Conan 4e is exceptionally unlikely, a 4e conversion guide a la Will To Live is modestly more likely but I'm just not feeling it at the moment, and no new material whatsoever is most probable.
I'd love to see something like Will To Live for Conan, possibly with some original content. Though possibly a brief conversion guide could be the basis for a Pyramid article?

For my part, having discovered Howard's Conan stories as an adult (and only recently at that), I find that this type of adventure story is far better for ongoing RPG campaigns than the epic style of Tolkien and his imitators. There's far more to mine and campaigns don't naturally end when the GREAT EVIL is defeated (or wins -- all hail the Overlord!). It lends itself to the important but not world shattering, and even the purely local or personal. Can't wait to see these come out!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Not necessarily so. It could be used as a test for market demand for Conan material.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
I find that this type of adventure story is far better for ongoing RPG campaigns than the epic style of Tolkien and his imitators. There's far more to mine and campaigns don't naturally end when the GREAT EVIL is defeated (or wins -- all hail the Overlord!). It lends itself to the important but not world shattering, and even the purely local or personal.
'zactly. I'm pretty sure I ran into REH before Tolkien, though it was probably a matter of months, and the Conan stories, with their episodic nature and generally limited geographical scope, were always a much greater influence on my gaming.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
I find that this type of adventure story is far better for ongoing RPG campaigns than the epic style of Tolkien and his imitators.
Indeed. Dungeons & Dragons was based largely off of Howard, Leiber, and Burroughs, and all the Tolkien elements were only added by Gygax because of the persistent demands of his players (Gygax disliked Tolkien). RPGs grew out of the joining of wargame rules and paperback adventure stories; epic fantasy was only added later.

The Conan stories are all about a man seeking wealth and adventure, just as RPGs were in the beginning.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
Rasputin

Why is the file so darn big? At 72.5 MB, this one is almost five times the size of the whole Basic Set. Scanning issues? Looking through my other few Classic GURPS items, only China, the first one to come out, approached this.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Why is the file so darn big?
My guess is that the book was scanned.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
zorg
Experimental Subject

Well, as my Gurps Conan was stolen years ago, this is good news.

Tags
conan, license