Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #21
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Terraformed Ecosystem Peculiarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Not only is pedogenesis a key goal of terraforming in itself, but also more carbon is stored in soil than in [living] plants.
I imagine most terraforming would be the thousands+ years of boring genetically engineered smut covering the planet converting all that CO2 into coal-dust "snow" and spitting out O2.
Though oxidizing all that iron would free up a lot of sulfur turning the oceans quite acidic making the planet far more hostile to earth life before getting less.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #22
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
But does that necessarily mean that there would be no calcium carbonate type minerals at all?
There are also the profoundly weird carbonatite volcanoes.

Quote:
Here's a thought: a terraformed world might be very short of good-quality iron deposits, though. It's widely thought that Earth's iron ore is largely of biotic origin.

Absent life, what might precipitate iron out of the oceans into useful form (assuming there were oceans). Absent oceans, what abiotic processes might produce useful iron ore?
That would depend upon the geology of the world, I suppose. There are volcanic deposits of just about any metal you can think of, copper especially but iron too. And gold. As I said- just about anything. And the Venera missions discovered, for instance, that Venus apparently has chondrules of both iron and metallic aluminum in at least some of its regolith. (The aluminum is often mixed with calcium or titanium.) Thus my earlier questions about low-TL smelting of aluminum. I have since learned that it is ridiculously easy. There is even a series of books about bootstrapping yourself a machine shop and it starts with smelting aluminum in home-made crucibles. (I have a copy- fun reading, and absolutely vital for any post-apocalyptic settings.)

I've been reading up on Venus recently.

Last edited by acrosome; 01-25-2015 at 06:00 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #23
lwcamp

Quote:
Remember that unless you're planning to exterminate an existing biosphere you not only have to oxidise the atmosphere but create the soil. There are millennia of work to do before you introduce large land animals
On earth, it took about a billion years to fully oxidize the ferrous iron dissolved in the oceans to the point that oxygen could start accumulating in the atmosphere in significant concentrations. Cutting it down to mere millenia using only biological means sounds rather optimistic.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #24
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You pretty much want wild uncontrolled excess in the prey. Actually, for a long time you probably only want plants, feeders are what you introduce when you want to stop the process.
If only herbivores are present, in several of their generations (maybe a decade or two for something like white-tail deer, much less time for smaller critters like rabbits) they will have over-grazed/browsed the rangeland to the point that they will significantly impact the productivity of the land and will be suffering from serious malnutrition. Introducing predators can increase the overall health of the hers and restore productivity to the land.

Luke
Old 01-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #25
lwcamp

Quote:
Here's a thought: a terraformed world might be very short of good-quality iron deposits, though. It's widely thought that Earth's iron ore is largely of biotic origin.
If you have oceans and a reducing atmosphre, you will have a lot of ferrous iron dissolved in the oceans. If you then make the atmosphere oxygen-rich enoughto breathe, you need to turn the iron into insoluable ferric iron. This will lead to extensive iron deposits on the ocean floor. Since these will be of relatively recent origin, the iron can be dredged or suctioned up.

Quote:
Absent life, what might precipitate iron out of the oceans into useful form (assuming there were oceans).
A warmer world than Earth could lead to turbulent convection of the atmosphere above the level at which ozone is formed, or a runaway water-greenhouse condition where water vapor rises above the ozone layer. This would lead to the hydrolysis of water and subsequent escape of the hydrogen, leaving behind an oxygen-rich atmosphere. If this process goes to completion, expect an atmosphere of mostly oxygen with a density greater than the atmosphere of Venus (along with the dissappearance of the oceans). Shutting down tectonic recycling of the crust could have similar effects by cutting off the surface ocean from the water in the upper mantle and preventing removal of atmospheric oxygen by weathering. A higher UV output from the parent star might also have this effect (or it might just make a thicker ozone layer).

Luke
Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
If only herbivores are present
Why are you introducing herbivores? Really, if it doesn't contribute to binding carbon, all it's doing is slowing down the process.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #27
Agemegos

Quote:
Why are you introducing herbivores?
To form soil, to transport carbon from the biotic reservoir to the soil reservoir, and to prevent the accumulation of fuel loads dense enough to support wildfires that will be hot enough to kills seeds and fire-resistant plants.

Also, to disperse seeds and spores.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-25-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
To form soil, to transport carbon from the biotic reservoir to the soil reservoir, and to prevent the accumulation of fuel loads dense enough to support wildfires that will be hot enough to kills seeds and fire-resistant plants.
I'm not inclined to classify aerobic and anaerobic soil bacteria as 'herbivores', and they certainly aren't controlled by predators. Fuel loads aren't really an issue until the O2 concentration gets pretty high, and can be controlled by choice of plants.
Quote:
Also, to disperse seeds and spores.
There is some benefit to pollinators, but you probably aren't introducing flowering plants until rather late. Basically, terraforming is trying to accelerate 2.5 billion years of development on Earth, and roughly 80% of that period was the Proterozoic.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #29
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Why are you introducing herbivores? Really, if it doesn't contribute to binding carbon, all it's doing is slowing down the process.
Because we want trees reefs, and and actual ecosystem that won't get knocked over by the first invasive species. Sure, you can use microbial mats to get the atmosphere in place, but you'll want a multicelluar system at the end.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #30
Buzzardo

For a related read, pick up Roger Zelazny's Isle of the Dead. The main character has the ability to create worlds that suit whatever his agenda at the moment is.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio-tech, biology, ecology, ecosystems, terraforming