Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
tantric
Banned

Default What system is closest to GURPS but either free or very flexible in licensing?

I need Ubantu to be a stand alone game, and I really, really think in GURPS. So, what system could I use and suffer the least transition trauma? And it must use only d6.

(SJG isn't interested in me making a Powered by GURPS product then giving it away)

Last edited by tantric; 08-13-2014 at 01:53 PM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: What system is closest to GURPS but either free or very flexible in licensing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I need Ubantu to be a stand alone game, and I really, really think in GURPS. So, what system could I use and suffer the least transition trauma? And it must use only d6.

(SJG isn't interested in me making a Powered by GURPS product then giving it away)
You can base it on one of the GURPS Lite forms that are free and separate, but you'll probably have to invent a couple of replacement sub-systems it lacks.

Or, you might be able to find a pile of old HERO System books somewhere for liquidation prices, and include them for "free".

That's abut it, unless you want personally google for and slog through lists like this one.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
namada

Default Re: What system is closest to GURPS but either free or very flexible in licensing?

Last edited by namada; 09-20-2014 at 11:51 PM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I need Ubantu to be a stand alone game, and I really, really think in GURPS. So, what system could I use and suffer the least transition trauma?
I'm confused by this. If you base Ubantu (is that a setting of yours?) on someone else's system, then it's not really a standalone game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
You can base it on one of the GURPS Lite forms that are free and separate, but you'll probably have to invent a couple of replacement sub-systems it lacks.
To be clear: If he follows our online policy, he'll basically be making an unofficial GURPS expansion at that point -- "This is my fanwork, GURPS Ubantu" -- and would not be allowed to distribute GURPS Lite with it, only point to the Warehouse 23 page where it can be downloaded.

Quote:
Or, you might be able to find a pile of old HERO System books somewhere for liquidation prices, and include them for "free".
This seems to present more issues. First, to do this, he'd have to first check to make sure he's within Hero Games' own online policy. Second, at this point he's also making a "Hero Games Ubantu fanwork." Third, it would cost considerable money even at liquidation prices. Fourth, distributing physical books requires either existing infrastructure or paying quite a bit in shipping.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
namada

Last edited by namada; 09-20-2014 at 11:50 PM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
Of course, you could always do GURPS with the serial numbers filed off for the system in your Ubantu game. Only include the absolute basic minimum rules necessary to play your game (which would not be the full GURPS Basic Set), change the names of various things, make minor changes to the mechanics of the way a few things work and Bingo - whole new game system.
This is very bad advice, and I strongly recommend this not be done. A game system "with the serial numbers filed off" is still an intellectual property violation and could be subject to legal action. You can't just change "Health" to "Stamina," change the price of skills, and call it a new system -- any more than you could write a "young wizard" story that borrowed 95% of the plot to Harry Potter, but set the story in South Africa instead of England, and call it a new book.

<MOD>
fartrader, consider this an Official Warning. We have no tolerance for any recommendation of intellectual property theft (including this sort of "appropriation").
</MOD>

Old 08-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
I'm fairly certain he means "standalone" as in he wants the book to be a system+setting, all-in-one rulebook, so that folks can just buy and play with the one book and not need to go buy the core book of some other system.
In that case, neither of Jeff's solutions work. In fact, nothing works other than (A) a system with an explicit OGL or (B) coming up with an original system from scratch.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
In that case, neither of Jeff's solutions work. In fact, nothing works other than (A) a system with an explicit OGL or (B) coming up with an original system from scratch.
Or going with a system-less setting writeup.

I vaguely recall some system for describing stuff in very generic terms (e.g. attributes described as very low/low/below average/average/above average/high/very high). IIRC the author put it into public domain or allowed free use or whatever the term is. It was a long time ago and that's all I can remember.

Hans

Last edited by Hans Rancke-Madsen; 08-16-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I think he's asking for (A).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
To be clear: If he follows our online policy, he'll basically be making an unofficial GURPS expansion at that point -- "This is my fanwork, GURPS Ubantu" -- and would not be allowed to distribute GURPS Lite with it, only point to the Warehouse 23 page where it can be downloaded.
Yes, that's part of my "free and separate" qualifier.

Quote:
This seems to present more issues. First, to do this, he'd have to first check to make sure he's within Hero Games' own online policy. Second, at this point he's also making a "Hero Games Ubantu fanwork." Third, it would cost considerable money even at liquidation prices. Fourth, distributing physical books requires either existing infrastructure or paying quite a bit in shipping.
All true issues, though I have seen piles of the old 3rd ed stuff like ROBOT WARRIORS and the HERO/FUSION thing going for pennies apiece on one occasion, and he might be able to physically hand it/them out at events to get it in circulation and/or restrict the appeal to people who already have or are intrigued enough to buy separate copies of HERO system.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote