Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #91
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Mix and Match 2021 (66 Combos)

Combination 55: Weapons of the Ancient Sky Movers
55) Space Atlas: Grissom and Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists

While the skystone transmuting technology of Grissom's ancient device is invaluable to kings and nations, other more portable items recomend themselves to roving heroes. The ancients who built the massive device had weapons that could fire powerful energy beams at extreme speed, Stasis fields that can trap foes inside, and other battlefeild marvels. These weapons are in short supply: the ancient device is a instrument of creation, not an arms depo, and the weapons have a limited number of uses, but cunning heroes and desperate villians can find key moments to expend the power of the ancients.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #92
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Black Eagle and The Starforge
56) Space Atlas: Grissom and Action Adventure 1: Templar's Gold

The PC's have been sent communications from your friend the legendary Sam Butler, a famous star pilot known as "The Black Eagle". He is dying from some mysterious ailment, but has sent them the undecifered text of an alien language, which he has started work on. He thinks its the key to how to work an ancient device of enormous power.

But Sam is not the only, nor even the original seeker of this artifact. Agents from Grissom's Bureau of Astronomics are on Sam's trail. They know the signs of the ancient Plague Sam uncovered, and they figure he has something that will let them finally find the control room of the artifact.

Using Butler's Documents and doing a bit of hunting around Grissom, the PC's should be able to find and fight their way to the control room that Sam Butler found. There, they will have to decide what to loot, what to expose, and what to destroy.

That's the last of Grissom, which was consistently one of the more difficult options to incorporate! We are down to the last 10 seeds!

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #93
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 57: Looking Out for Our Own
57) How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins and Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield

Its not easy being a psi. If people don't fear you, they want to harness your power. Among the worst offenders are government agencies. Some mysterious agency has kidnapped psionic children to experiment on, train, and indoctrinate.

You will not stand for this. You are Psis able to look out for yourselves, and for others like you. You will track down this agency, retrieve the children, and do your best to leave its corruption exposed without betraying your own people.

You will need all of your considerable skill and powers to take on a US military base. But you have those skills and those powers. You will save your people.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:17 AM   #94
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combintation 58a: Planescape
58) How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

Great cities form at travesable gates between planes. In these cities, great names wielding great power stride among the common folk. They engage in cosmic politics, shaking the foundations of the planes, and shaping the landscape around them. Mortals will challenge Gods and Elemental Kings, and make this age their own.

Combintation 58b: The Divine Gauntlet
58) How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

A prize of Great Power has been set aside for the Gods exclusively for the use of great mortals. To protect this power, a number of tests has been created, each residing in its own demiplane, connected by a string of gates. Many mortals, and even semi-mortal aspirants, have attempted to reach this prize, but the tests have foiled them all so far. Perhaps you will make it...

Old 10-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #95
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 59: Bullet Eaters of the Underdark
59) How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins and Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists

A portal in the underdark has opened to a terrible world of Light, Steel, Fire, and Flying Metal. These invaders posess weapons that can slaughter ordinary warriors in great numbers from afar, blinding lights, and armored vehicles that move themselves. They are carving out a zone in the underdark.

Fortunately, some denizens of the underdark are resistant or immune to the terrible weapons of the invaders, by magical defenses and recovery mechanisms, by their insubstantial nature, or by having enough armor to stop the dread "bullets". The fate of the underworld and all of its creatures are in your hands... and claws... and psuedopods... and ghostly telekinesis...

This can also count as a 58c, given that it revolves around a portal.

for extra points, give these terrible monsters domains to rule in the underdark, play up the fact that the underdark has its own unsavory players who might like a new source of slaves and sacrifice, and bring in the terror of vivisection by the invaders.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #96
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
for extra points, give these terrible monsters domains to rule in the underdark, play up the fact that the underdark has its own unsavory players who might like a new source of slaves and sacrifice, and bring in the terror of vivisection by the invaders.
A good 'We are the real monsters' plot, even if not quite the same as that's usually meant.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
A good 'We are the real monsters' plot, even if not quite the same as that's usually meant.

Thank you... "We are the real monsters" works in that scenario from quite a few perspectives. I'm trying to figure out which ones you specifically meant.

I do think it'd be a fun game to play, and its very very GURPS.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #98
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 60a: Butler's Best Buddy
60) How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins and Action Adventure 1: Templar's Gold

Templar's Gold is designed for a group of player characters... but perhaps a single very competent one could take on the challenge. The pulp material Templar's gold draws from is as likely to feature a single grand hero as a team. If you only have one player for the moment, create a very round very high point character and run the adventure with just them!

Combination 60b: Baphomet's Gold
60) How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins and Action Adventure 1: Templar's Gold

The valiant black eagle has been felled by a curse while perusing the secrets of the templars. Those of you who are familiar with the supernatural suspect that the seemingly deathless cockroach of a cult, the Baphomet, is behind the death. They are seeking the Templar's treasure, with the aid of witchcraft and demons. This is a rare chance to draw out and eliminate a cell of the murderous sect.

(yes, I consider monster hunters to be a high-powered origins game, especially if you allow players off-template)

Last edited by ericthered; 10-28-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:06 AM   #99
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(yes, I consider monster hunters to be a high-powered origins game, especially if you allow players off-template)
400 points or higher is what I consider (and the book) high-powered as well. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #100
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates have a fairly close association: The Mysterious Airfield has a portal in its basement, and it makes a decent tie-in for DF Gates Games with high-tech elements.

Combination 61a: Alien Network
61) Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

The portal in Nevada is only the first in a series of alien artifacts stretching across space. The thread winds across the cosmos, visiting strange planets, derelict space stations, and mysterious moons. All of it is connected by a network of mysterious gates. The stations often have automated defenses, and clearing them out can be quite troublesome, if rewarding in terms of pilfered technology. There is also a bizarre tendency towards aggressive wildlife living inside of the complexes. The teams go in, clear the site, and then let the researchers set up shop.

A stop by an the abandoned grissom outpost is optional, via 54: The Grissom Network. 46: Fauna of the Forbidden Moon may also be useful in populating the new sites

Combination 61b: Bullets in the Underdark
61) Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

Men with modern weapons and gear invade the underdark through a portal, opposed by monsters with bullet-resistant qualities. Some foes can be overcome with modern ingenuity. Others will require fighting through the monsters to find allies with weapons that work against them. Back on base, politics happens, with the agency jockeying for money and slowly going rouge. This is a reversed version of Combination 59: Bullet-eaters of the Underdark, which may have some useful ideas for this.