Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
CrimsonDawn

Default [DF 11] Animal allies for Holy Warriors

Both Holy and Unholy Warrior have the power-up entries list for a mount or a dog Allies "Animal companions of equal points ... This works like a divine servant, but is a mount or a hound; see Allies, p. 13."

But Allies, p.13 does not, however, have horses or hounds at 250 points, and refers to the animals from Chapter 1 - where there are 125-pointers for both the hound and a stallion - so the points costs for these power-ups should be
Allies (Animal companion; Built on 50%; 12 or less; PM, -10%; Summonable, +100%) [8] or (15 or less) [12].

On the other hand, I'm thinking that maybe there should be a divine or demonic horse or hound available for 250 points. Maybe something like the horse or hound template, and a lens that looks something like this:

+1 ST [10], +1 DX [20], Basic Speed -0.25 [-5], Two slots of elements [100], Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30], Blessed [10], -10-point disadvantage used as the moral code; Dependency (Sanctity; Very Common; Constantly) [-25]; Unnatural Features 1 [-1]†; and four quirks to be determined by the GM [-5]. Change the Survival specialty to whatever heavenly or hellish environment the animal comes from.

Some of the elements might need some tweaking for these animals, though.
CrimsonDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Stone Dog

Default Re: [DF 11] Animal allies for Holy Warriors

I would say that it means you are summoning an animal in the same way and under the same restrictions as you would summon a divine servant.

You could be completely in your rights to either reduce the cost of the allies advantage to match how much a hound or something costs OR to beef up a hound with divine elements or something.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
CrimsonDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
I would say that it means you are summoning an animal in the same way and under the same restrictions as you would summon a divine servant.

You could be completely in your rights to either reduce the cost of the allies advantage to match how much a hound or something costs OR to beef up a hound with divine elements or something.
Yeah, I see what Allies means with the restrictions, I'm just saying that Power-Ups has the costs wrong.. unless there will be a divine (or unholy), more powerful animal.
CrimsonDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Stone Dog

Just give the 125 point animal more stuff. Give it a divine element, blessed, immunity to metabolic hazards and 35 more points of holy animal kick-assery.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDawn View Post
Yeah, I see what Allies means with the restrictions, I'm just saying that Power-Ups has the costs wrong.. unless there will be a divine (or unholy), more powerful animal.
When reading and reviewing it, I missed that detail, thinking it actually read:
Allies (Animal companion; Built on 50%; 12 or less; Holy, -10%; Summonable, +100%) [8] or (15 or less) [12]. This works like a divine servant, but is a mount or a hound; see Allies, p. 13.
So that's how I'd handle it. Of course, if you want to come up with a "Holy Hound" and "Celestial Steed" writeup, for twice the points, feel free. But bear in mind that those will be some fearsome critters!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 08-09-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Not errata
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Stone Dog

I want to have a hound with Peace and Travel as divine elements.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post

. . . Please consider this errata. Change to:
Allies (Animal companion; Built on 50%; 12 or less; Holy, -10%; Summonable, +100%) [8] or (15 or less) [12]. This works like a divine servant, but is a mount or a hound; see Allies, p. 13.
Of course, if you want to come up with a "Holy Hound" and "Celestial Steed" writeup, for twice the points, feel free. But bear in mind that those will be some fearsome critters!
I always thought that playing with the point costs for allies was cannonical for DF (I may be wrong though) so when I saw this I asummed everything was alright. Besides. having a "Good, Fire Horsey" (Go Ponyta!) is so much cooler than having just a horsey.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Bruno

I. Want. My. Riding. Bear.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Of course, if you want to come up with a "Holy Hound" and "Celestial Steed" writeup, for twice the points, feel free. But bear in mind that those will be some fearsome critters!
I think he probably should write up new Allies for that.

A Celestial Steed ought to be rather stronger than I remember the regular Divine Ally being, and of course have the Quadroped trait, or whatever it is called, No Fine Manipulators and so forth. Likewise, a Celestial Hound needs the relevant morphology traits, and perhaps Cannot Speak, and Discriminatory Smell.

Or just write up a couple of Lenses that modify the regular Divine Ally to become a Divine Ally Mount or a Divine Ally Hound.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allies, kromm explanation