Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Agemegos

Default RPGaday Topic 17: Funniest Game you’ve played

I'm doing RPG-a-day in August, as promoted by Dave Chapman (Autocratik). This is Day 15 of 31.

Funniest Game you’ve played

Hmm. Perhaps it is because I notoriously lack any trace of a sense of humour, but I don't remember running or playing a character in any funny games. I know there have been moments of paralysing hilarity during games, but… (1) They have mostly been such things as hurricanes of puns, or catchphrases that weren't funny the first time, or the second, or even the seventeenth, but were side-splitting the fiftieth time. That is, pretty much extraneous to the game. (2) I can only put one specific memory of the kind into its context: an occasion in one a fantasy games in which most of the PCs had been conned into buying worthless protective amulets, and one of the PCs launched the notion that to use them a character had to present the amulet vigorously and shout "Want some of this‽". What can I say? It seemed funny at the time.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: RPGaday Topic 17: Funniest Game you’ve played

I didn't intend my first GURPS campaign to be comedic, but large parts of it were. It was probably inevitable when I allowed two Tymbrimi PCs. I remember one of the fin PCs telling one of the Tymbrimi, "You can't short-sheet water, b****!" That was a mistake, as he found out when he dived into a tank that had been polymerized. . . .

I've run several campaigns that intentionally had humor as a major aspect: my Toon mini-series, my Discworld mini-series, my Buffyverse campaign. We had a lovely bit of pure roleplaying humor when the Slayer and her half-demon best friend and the handsome soldier both were flirting with all got zinged by Cupid (yes, THE Cupid), which inflamed all their passions; all I had to do was tell each of them the result, and step by while they roleplayed like mad.

Some of the campaigns I've played in had comedic elements, often partly of my contribution; the GURPS Dragaera campaign where I played a Dzur nobleman modelled on Bertie Wooster and the Changeling campaign where I played Edward Gray Wolf, a coyote pooka whose recurring story was that he inspired Chuck Jones's cartoons, both had a lot of funny scenes.

I'm not sure I could pick out a single funniest game. Do we mean "session" or "campaign" here?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Do we mean "session" or "campaign" here?
Or "rule system"?

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Or "rule system"?
Do you mean the intentionally funniest rules system or the involuntarily funniest rules system?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Agemegos

I mean that Autocratik's questions systematically fail to draw distinctions among "session", "adventure", "campaign", and "rule system", leaving themselves ambiguous.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-16-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Agemegos

A friend reminds me that another friend ran a Dying Earth adventure called The Day of the Quelo, that I played in it, and that it was funny.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I mean that Autocratik's questions systematically fail to draw distinctions among "session", "adventure", "campaign", and "rule system", leaving themselves ambiguous.
Which, whether deliberately or not, can make for a wider discussion.

As far as rules system, Paranoia (particularly the second edition and Paranoia XP) probably drew the most laughs from me of any ruleset, though GURPS IOU came close -- the campus was just far too close to my own beloved University of Colorado.

The funniest game night? Maybe the point in our In Nomine: Madison campaign when the party found what appeared to be a demon slain in the previous campaign cycle, now completely mindblown -- either a Remnant or someone who had spent way too long in Limbo. He had so little left upstairs that when put in the shower, he didn't bother to strip, forcing the others to get off his sopping clothes and wrap him in a towel.

At which point, the angel Kay decided to call the one PC not yet present: her "sister," a Bright of War called Susan, so that she could fetch the demon some dry clothes. The conversation went south quickly ... so far south that I eventually logged the results on the Memorable Quotes thread:

Susan (at a hospital visiting a wounded angel): "Hang on a sec," she tells the Malakite. Not answering the phone, Susan texts back, "I'll call you back in a few."
Kay: (Texts back) "I'm in a room with a naked guy and Bertha and I have clothes on"
GM: "Is that a cry for help or bragging?"

Susan: "Alan is *BACK*?! As in, alive???"
Kay: (Remembering she can get clothes elsewhere) "NVM...I'm a dork"
Susan: "No, no, Sister, I'm not going to nevermind that a naked demon is in the room with you!"
Kay: "I'm fine! Bertha is with me"
Susan: "What is Bertha doing with the naked demon??"
GM: "Oh, such a straight line ..."

Kay: "I thought you wanted to talk later?"
Susan: "You have a demon and another angel with you, and you want me to talk to you LATER now?! A NAKED DEMON?!?"
Kay: "You said you were busy!"
Other angel at the hospital to Susan: "Way to keep a low profile, hon ..."

Susan: (After hanging up and practically destroying the cell phone) "C'mon, we have to go off the demon who won't stay dead--or dressed."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#rpgaday, funny, humor, humour, rpgaday