Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-08-2023, 06:58 AM   #1
TantricShades

Default Has any one gotten GCA5 to run properly on linux?

I've been using GCA5 on a Virtual Machine for a few weeks, and that works, however it is a huge burden on my system. I've tried a few things by following the instructions found here, minus the GCA4 specifics. A point of note is that it runs fine, but there is no text on print preview and printing to PDF crashes the entire program completely. I have also installed CUPS-PDF, and its still giving me the "slicing neck emoji" by crashing and showing no text.

I appreciate any advice on this, and thank anyone taking time away from other duties to assist me on this.
TantricShades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Has any one gotten GCA5 to run properly on linux?

GCA4 and GCA5 are built on entirely different foundations (GCA5 is based on .Net 4) so you should not rely on anything related to GCA4 for help getting GCA5 to run on Linux.

This is what it says on the current GCA Support page for GCA5:

Linux Support

Although not officially supported, several testers have reported success installing and running on Linux, using Wine. For those looking to experiment, the most-successful installation used the Windows 7 container (the default) using Wine 6.18, ran the installer within that, then added .NET 4.61. (Printing functionality may not be available, depending on driver-compatibility.) User-to-user assistance may be found on the GURPS Character Assistant Forum.

And here's what another user posted for GCA5 some time back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
Managed to get GCA5 working on my Linux (Kubuntu 21.10) install. Used PlayOnLinux to create a 32-bit Windows 7 container (the default) with Wine 6.18 and run the installer within it, then added .NET 4.61 (later versions did not work). Seems to be working just fine, even able to update properly, although I haven't tested thoroughly yet.
I have had other folks complain that the print-related stuff (preview, sheet view) did not work on Linux. I do not know if they got it to work or not, or even if MeddlingMonk's was working.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
TantricShades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
GCA4 and GCA5 are built on entirely different foundations (GCA5 is based on .Net 4) so you should not rely on anything related to GCA4 for help getting GCA5 to run on Linux.

This is what it says on the current GCA Support page for GCA5:

Linux Support

Although not officially supported, several testers have reported success installing and running on Linux, using Wine. For those looking to experiment, the most-successful installation used the Windows 7 container (the default) using Wine 6.18, ran the installer within that, then added .NET 4.61. (Printing functionality may not be available, depending on driver-compatibility.) User-to-user assistance may be found on the GURPS Character Assistant Forum.

And here's what another user posted for GCA5 some time back:

I have had other folks complain that the print-related stuff (preview, sheet view) did not work on Linux. I do not know if they got it to work or not, or even if MeddlingMonk's was working.
Yeah, I noticed the differences when I was looking at the instructions, I can't find the set I actually followed, but the libraries this one mentioned are actually the same. The .NET version is the same, etc. Thank you for the info. And I'm sorry, I'm just much more comfortable in a Linux system, I feel the pain of it quite often, but I can't handle the shoulder crushing weight I feel on a Windows system. I end up trying to use WSL and getting so frustrated that it doesn't work quite right and end up just nuking the entire system and installing Arch. I'm too much of a tinkerer, to be happy on Windows
TantricShades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
MeddlingMonk

Since you mentioned me, no, I could not get print-related stuff working (including the default view), but haven't spent much time trying to troubleshoot, as I'm not currently actively playing any GURPS games.
MeddlingMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:25 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
Since you mentioned me, no, I could not get print-related stuff working (including the default view), but haven't spent much time trying to troubleshoot, as I'm not currently actively playing any GURPS games.
Thanks for letting us know! It may just be that the print engine I use won't work on Linux, then.