Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-26-2022, 01:01 AM   #1
Mettius

Default Dungeon Fantasy 13 Loadouts Not Working?

Am I missing something? (I often do).

When I add a Dungeon Fantasy 13 Medium Warrior Equipment Loadout. I only see Boots and Ordinary Clothing added to the character.

How do I get the rest of the package to load into the character? (Leather Gloves, Mail Leggings, Mail Sleeves, etc.)
Old 11-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 13 Loadouts Not Working?

It really helps if you tell me the exact name of what you tried that didn't work, so that I can try the same thing as you did. Assuming you actually meant the "Knight, Medium Warrior", because that has mail leggings and sleeves, I tried that one.

The Knight, Medium Warrior item was added to the character. All the items in the loadout were added as children. As children, it has Boots, Leather Gloves, Mail Leggings, Mail Sleeves, Ordinary Clothing (Free), Pot-Helm, and Scale Armor.

I do not have the book, so I can't compare to that, but that's more than boots and clothing, and it's what the file says it's supposed to have.

Did you load the Dungeon Fantasy 13 file after the Dungeon Fantasy 1 file in your character's library?

I don't believe the loadouts from Dungeon Fantasy will work for general use because they're tailored for the equipment lists in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Hmm. I just tried it with just Basic Set and DF13, and that loadout still works fine there, so at least a bunch of them likely work fine without DF1 loaded.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #4
ravenfish

Do you have a Low Tech equipment set loaded? My understanding is that, as of a recent change, the package that adds armor from Low Tech removes the armor from Basic Set that said armor replaces, so load-outs that reference the original armor from Basic won't be able to access it.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Do you have a Low Tech equipment set loaded? My understanding is that, as of a recent change, the package that adds armor from Low Tech removes the armor from Basic Set that said armor replaces, so load-outs that reference the original armor from Basic won't be able to access it.
Great point! Thanks for mentioning that; it does seem a likely culprit.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #6
Mettius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Yes, this appears to be the case.
With Low-Tech loaded "Knight, Medium" yields Boots and Ordinary Clothing only)

With Low-Tech library removed "Knight, Medium" yields all 7 items it should have.

So, I guess that means one has to juggle between libraries to use low tech and DF loadout equipment.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:31 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettius View Post
Yes, this appears to be the case.
With Low-Tech loaded "Knight, Medium" yields Boots and Ordinary Clothing only)

With Low-Tech library removed "Knight, Medium" yields all 7 items it should have.

So, I guess that means one has to juggle between libraries to use low tech and DF loadout equipment.
I would definitely not recommend that, as you'll mix the incompatibilities across items and character data.

I'll make a couple variant files for Low-Tech so that you can include the one that does NOT include armor, or the Low-Tech body locations, if you want to use it with incompatible books.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, I've created two new Variant files:
  • GURPS Low-Tech 4e - Armor & Protection.gdf
    This file is just the armor and body information from Low-Tech. It is everything removed from the 'GURPS Low-Tech 4e - Everything NOT Armor & Protection.gdf' file, and allows for a full Low-Tech file-equivalent when used in conjunction with that file instead of using 'GURPS Low-Tech 4e.gdf' itself.
  • GURPS Low-Tech 4e - Everything NOT Armor & Protection.gdf
    This file is Low-Tech with all the armor and body information pulled out. This allows you to use everything else from Low-Tech with other books that use the Basic Set compatible armor coverage.
Both of these will be found in the \Variants\ folder.

Use GURPS Low-Tech 4e - Everything NOT Armor & Protection.gdf if you want to keep all the various non-armor stuff from Low-Tech in your Dungeon Fantasy game. If you want to use the armor rules from Low-Tech in Dungeon Fantasy, you're welcome to do that but you'll have to custom-brew your own compatibility, because the armors from those books are not compatible by default, and I don't have the free time to try and make that happen.

You can get the new files now using Check For Updates.

Last edited by Armin; 11-29-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
Mettius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I'll make a couple variant files for Low-Tech so that you can include the one that does NOT include armor, or the Low-Tech body locations, if you want to use it with incompatible books.
Thanks, that would be great!
Old 12-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettius View Post
Thanks, that would be great!
In case you missed it, the version of Low-Tech split into two files is available now. I describe it two posts up in Post #8.

These files willl be included with GCA, in the \Variants\ folder. But until the next Release, you can get them with Check For Updates and updating the Core Books.