Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
Reikon

Default Re: Flying pillow monster paradox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Yeah, slam damage against larger/heavier objects should be capped at double your HP times velocity (that is, anything 2 x your HP or above treated as immovable), since after all it's not going to be more damaging to you if whatever you're running into or runs into you has some give to it.
There is one more line that is not clear:

B371: "If your damage roll equals or exceeds that of your foe, he must make a DX roll or fall down. You knock him down automatically if you roll twice his damage or more. If he rolls twice your damage or more, though, you fall down instead!"

With a myHP*2*v/100 dice damage limit to myself it would be quite hard for an enemy to knock me down, even if he was a huge mammoth, and I was a little child. And it would be even harder, if I know sumo at DX+2.

At average I will do myHp*v/100*5.5 damage (including sumo bonus), and recieve myHP*v/100*3.5*2 damage (twice my normal slam damage). If I roll 3 dices for damage, for example, his chance of knocking me down is ~5.69%, no matter how strong and heavy he is. I'm pretty sure that heavy tank, moving at 15 y/s (~49 km/h), is able to knock down a 10-hp sumo wrestler with slightly better chance, than 5.69%...

So I think that knockdown rules sould also be corrected somehow.

update: some more calculations (with 2*HP*v/100 dice damage limitation limit):

Chances of being knocked down by huge enemy without sumo (n dices means "I roll n dices, my enemy rolls 2*n dices, because he is huge"):

1 die of damage: ~54.1%
2 dices of damage: ~53.2%
3 dices of damage: ~52.7%
4 dices of damage: ~52.3%
5 dices of damage: ~52.1%

When I know sumo at DX+1:
1 die of damage: ~37.5%
2 dices of damage: ~28.4%
3 dices of damage: ~22.9%
4 dices of damage: ~18.8%
5 dices of damage: ~15.8%

When I know sumo at DX+2:
1 die of damage: ~22.2%
2 dices of damage: ~10.7%
3 dices of damage: ~5.7%
4 dices of damage: ~3.1%
5 dices of damage: ~1.8%

Sumo rocks.

Last edited by Reikon; 10-26-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Some more calculations.
Reikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
The only exceptions would be if you were squished between two immovable objects, and for knockback when a much larger object is running into you. E.g., a 100 HP semi rams into a 10 HP pedestrian at 60 mph (Move 30). Cap damage to the pedestrian at (10x2x30x2 for being hard/100) 12d (still enough to ruin your day if not kill you), unless run over/back against the wall, but apply the full (100x30x2) 60d to figure knockback, throwing you back 26 yards (and dealing more damage to you when you land).
No, knockback should be capped too. It's just that the knockback formula is completely wrong. If a 10 hp human runs into another human at move 10 (1d damage), the realistic expected knockback is 2-3 yards (after collision, both will be moving around 5 yards per second, and it takes half a second or so to hit the ground and come to a stop). A human hit by a 1 ton subcompact at 60 mph will be thrown back at around 56 mph. A 40 ton big rig just increases that to 59.9 mph.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #23
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikon View Post
My problem is that I'm playing a strange character in a strange world.
I have 30HP, being a extra-fast regenerating catgirl, and that's because I'm REALLY tough, but not heavy at all. And the strange world has a lot of omg-it's-a-huge-steam-powered-robot-we-are-all-doomed enemies with even more HP. And both of us eventually collide with smaller enemies and each other...

So the whole world is a kind of LHC - Large-HP Collider. Lack of strict collision rules (who is harder, what "hard" means, and when to add sumo bonus) makes our lives miserable...
Collision rules are overly complicated and not especially realistic.
My advice would be to throw them away, and declare that collisions deal thrusting damage, plus the sumo bonus.
If you really want to take speed into account, you could apply the Speed/Range modifier as a damage bonus to slams.
E.g. a speed of 5 y/s gives +2, 7 y/s gives +3, 10 gives +4 and so on...

Tags
damage, paradox, slam